Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #1

Fresh water tank pump issue! Help!

Hi everyone, we just purchased a Sierra 380BH5 from a private person.

Today we are going to make a trip and tried to fill up the fresh water tank, after a few minutes my husband noticed the water coming out from under the trailer from a little hose (I believe it is the overflow). I went inside put on the pump and had no water coming out, checked the censor and it marked empty but water was still coming out of the over flow [?] hose ... are we doing something wrong here?
Is there a certain trick that these Forest Rivers have to getting the pump to go?

We are not new to RVing, just new to newer RV models.
It was always just fill tank, put on pump and go!

I also would like to state original owner just purchased the RV and had it parked at his home while he remodeled.
So he has no input about it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	137268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	137269  

Yrodrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrodrivera View Post

Today we are going to make a trip and tried to fill up the fresh water tank, after a few minutes my husband noticed the water coming out from under the trailer from a little hose (I believe it is the overflow). I went inside put on the pump and had no water coming out, checked the censor and it marked empty but water was still coming out of the over flow [?] hose ... are we doing something wrong here?
Is there a certain trick that these Forest Rivers have to getting the pump to go?

I also would like to state original owner just purchased the RV and had it parked at his home while he remodeled.

OK there should be a transfer valve to route water from CITY to TANK FILL. If you found it and turned it, then Either there is a bad valve, or the COINCIDENCE OF water in tank with gauge NOT READING IT and WATER PUMP NOT WORKING.

There may also be a gravity fill for the TANK, on the side of the coach, even it you have a transfer valve and that SHOULD allow you to fill with a hose from city water to fill the tank

2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #3

Quote:

OK HECK JUST TOOK YOUR PICTURE TO A VIEWER WHERE I COULD ZOOM AND ACTUALLY READ IT The picture has the hose on CITY WATER and I guess WOW you have the TANK FILL next to it on the left. If you are filling from there and are sure water went in ( I use a hose end water meter to know just how much does go in) then you have the DREADED COINCIDENCE or tank monitor failure and water pump that fails to prime. BE FOR SURE THAT THERE IS WATER IN THE TANK like open the low point drain then be sure there is power to the pump. Can you hear it run. Sometimes it can take a minute or two to prime.

IF the pump is running and there is water in the tank I wonder, do you have the little round filter screen on the intake side of the pump? If so, is it clean. IF it is clean, or if you do not have one maybe try pulling that line off and see if you can blow water through to the tank and hear it bubble. If there is sediment in that tank from lack of use, that sediment MIGHT Have plugged up the pick up line

Please advise when you find the cure.

Thanks, Welcome and Good Luck TOM
2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #4

You should be filling with the connection "fresh tank". Make sure your low point drain is closed. Sounds like yours might be open. Keep us updated.
C6Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #5

That water filter canister looks pretty disgusting too! Clean that for sure before you use water for anything.
C6Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Doberman View Post
That water filter canister looks pretty disgusting too! Clean that for sure before you use water for anything.
Yes!! That's a good idea.
Yesterday when we tried to fill the tank, was the first time I had had a look back there!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Doberman View Post
You should be filling with the connection "fresh tank". Make sure your low point drain is closed. Sounds like yours might be open. Keep us updated.
Yes, we put the water in the fresh tank connection and I don't believe the low point tank is open? There are 2 hoses coming out from the bottom where the water was draining, one was capped and one was open (I was told that was the overflow one).
Old 05-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
OK HECK JUST TOOK YOUR PICTURE TO A VIEWER WHERE I COULD ZOOM AND ACTUALLY READ IT The picture has the hose on CITY WATER and I guess WOW you have the TANK FILL next to it on the left. If you are filling from there and are sure water went in ( I use a hose end water meter to know just how much does go in) then you have the DREADED COINCIDENCE or tank monitor failure and water pump that fails to prime. BE FOR SURE THAT THERE IS WATER IN THE TANK like open the low point drain then be sure there is power to the pump. Can you hear it run. Sometimes it can take a minute or two to prime.

IF the pump is running and there is water in the tank I wonder, do you have the little round filter screen on the intake side of the pump? If so, is it clean. IF it is clean, or if you do not have one maybe try pulling that line off and see if you can blow water through to the tank and hear it bubble. If there is sediment in that tank from lack of use, that sediment MIGHT Have plugged up the pick up line

Please advise when you find the cure.

Thanks, Welcome and Good Luck TOM
Thank you for the input!
We will have to try the things you mentioned.
I don't even know where the water pump is located in this RV! You can't hear nothing from the inside but by the docking station I did hear a quiet buzzing so it must be in that vicinity.
I will keep you posted when we figure it out!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #9

Dry Pump

I've torn apart several Sureflo pumps over the years. One had a small piece of sand in it, and wouldn't shut off, and one had apparently dried out and the rubber check valve stuck in place. I cleaned it and put silicone on it and it worked.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you for the input!
We will have to try the things you mentioned.
I don't even know where the water pump is located in this RV! You can't hear nothing from the inside but by the docking station I did hear a quiet buzzing so it must be in that vicinity.
I will keep you posted when we figure it out!
Mine is behind there.

Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, pump, tank, water, water tank