Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

It's 29 F outside and my Furnace quit. HELP!

I have a 2015 Sierra 346RETS. The furnace will kick on, but only blows cool air for about 1 minute and then cuts off. I can't even hear it trying to ignite when it is turned on.

Things I've done so far;

Checked that both propane takes are full and turned on.
Hot water heater works.
Stove works.
Pulled the fuse for the furnace and ran the stove for awhile to clear the lines and then tried to start furnace again.

Any ideas?
flywnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did it ever work or is this the first time you are trying to use it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did it ever work or is this the first time you are trying to use it?

We are FT since June. It has worked flawlessly so far this winter until last night.
flywnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Ok, well if it worked previously that pretty much rules out a stuck sail switch. The furnace has to sense a certain blower speed before it will open the gas valve and the sail switch is the prove out.

While it could have just got stuck the chances are slim.

Having reset by pulling the fuse and knowing you have voltage (blower runs) it is likely a control board.
Some shops can test them.
The only other thing you can check is how much voltage.
The control board wont let the furnace light if the voltage is too low.
This too is a slim chance but we are grasping at straws trying to suggest things.
If you have a multimeter and can check voltage at the furnace, that is about all i can suggest.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #5

I agree that you need

To determine where the power is, and where it stops. If you don't know how to use a multimeter it is time to take it in to have it looked at or have someone come out. January and February are no times for a bad furnace. I hope you have good electric units until help arrives!
mguilbau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

Recheck the propane valves. Try lighting your stove. The safety valve may have tripped on the tank. Just use one and set your regulator to the open tank. Only Crack open the valve maybe half a turn. Try this to see if it will go.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Recheck the propane valves. Try lighting your stove. The safety valve may have tripped on the tank. Just use one and set your regulator to the open tank. Only Crack open the valve maybe half a turn. Try this to see if it will go.
The OP said in the first post the stove and water heater work normally.
Can't be the safety valve in the tank.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Circuit board.....mine did the same exact same thing.....was working perfect, then nothing.....replaced circut board with a Dinosaur brand and all's well....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

Hope there's a Walmart nearby, electric ceramic heaters are a great back up. Nice to have fire place now.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #10

Did you check your batteries, furnaces will not work with low battery
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #11

Try pulling the fuse again and waiting 10 minutes It may reset its self. Worked for me one time

Jim
jimmiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywnc View Post
I have a 2015 Sierra 346RETS. The furnace will kick on, but only blows cool air for about 1 minute and then cuts off. I can't even hear it trying to ignite when it is turned on.

Things I've done so far;

Hot water heater works.
Stove works.
Pulled the fuse for the furnace and ran the stove for awhile to clear the lines and then tried to start furnace again.

Any ideas?
Hi If the furnace blower is running and shuts down with in one minute. The sail switch is not making/closing with the air blowing past it to continue to the nest step to lite which shuts it down on sail switch failure. Is the return air grill clean? Do you have a fur friend living with you? If you do remove the return air grill check it and the furnace fan inlet for fur or dirt that may be blocking the air flow.

I believe suburban warranty is for 2 years.

Below I have a link to the furnace manual Sequence of Operations on page 26.

click the link below down load it give it 15 second to down load and open the link on the bottom of the page

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=67

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #13

I had the exact same problem,it turned out to be the overheat sensor,had to pull the furnace to replace it.
tom50mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Hope there's a Walmart nearby, electric ceramic heaters are a great back up. Nice to have fire place now.
You mean fake fireplace with 'realistic' flames. AKA: an electric heater with visuals....

Maybe I should reword that to..... Faux fireplace....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Furnace problem

This may sound dumb but....
I've had the opposite problem where I set the temp at 60 at night but the furnace doesn't shut off. I pull the cover off the thermostat to check for loose wires or stuff...and then it works fine. Obviously I know nothing about heating & air conditioning
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #16

I had a faulty regulator, for some reason my stove would work but the heater did just what you describe, must have been just enough flow to light the stove but not run the furnace, you can't make this stuff up! Hope you get it figured out soon!
Old 01-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
This may sound dumb but....
I've had the opposite problem where I set the temp at 60 at night but the furnace doesn't shut off. I pull the cover off the thermostat to check for loose wires or stuff...and then it works fine. Obviously I know nothing about heating & air conditioning
The thermostat wires to the furnace or the thermostat are shorting out when the cover is in place. Check the wires to make sure they are not pinched or pushing on the thermostat bimetallic spring with the cover on. if it is a mechanical thermostat not electronic. if electronic thermostat most likely has a pinched wire. Check the red and white wires they start the furnace. If the furnace is running when you drop the set point to 60 deg the burner should shut off and the fan will run for several minutes to cool the furnace down before the fan shuts off.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #18

This might sound stupid, but I've had to pour warm water on my propane tanks and regulators before to get enough pressure for things to work properly. The colder it is outside, the lower the pressure will be in your tank; conversely, the higher the temperature, the higher the pressure. The liquid propane volume in any LP Gas container is directly related to its temperature. In fact, the volume of any liquid in any container is directly related to its temperature.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywnc View Post

Things I've done so far;

Hot water heater works.
Stove works.

Any ideas?
Had the same issue with our 2017 sierra. Check the inside fuse panel. We had a 15A car fuse blown. Replace it and we did the following. Go outside and unplug shore power. Then disconnect all battery power to the rv. This is so there is absolutely no power going to the rv. Let things reset for 5 minutes or so and reconnect the batteries and the shore power. This resets the furnace control board and turn on the heat via thermostat. This worked for us about a month ago and has been fine ever since.....knock on wood....Best of luck.
2flyingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #20

I had the same problem and it turned out to be mud daubers, also known as dirt dauber and mud wasp. They nested near the orifice and stopped the furnace from lighting. Cleaned them out and it's been working ever since.
On a side note, they also nested on my a/c fan blades. I thought my 5th wheel was going to shake apart when the a/c kicked on. This was all while I was living in Texas.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace