Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #21

Thanks for the pics Golfmedik.
They got me to do a little more thinking about this.
At the FROG rally in a little over a week, factory reps are supposed to be on hand for consultations & quick fixes.
I’m going to run this by them as one of my questions.
I’d like to keep the spare right where it is, just move it back 3-4”.

Another thought was to install a couple angle brackets on the inside of where the bumper meets the frame. Just not sure if I have a drill with the muscle to drill into the frame. If I reinforce the bumper then I think I can also have one of those spare tire mounted bike racks too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	17384  
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #22

The problem with bike racks back there are really two fold. One you are addressing, the second is the bouncing of the bikes. Remember, it's not just the weight you have to worry about, it's the constant bouncing which will cause anything secured around the bumper to twist. This twisting action will break the bumper and they will fall. Take off the end caps of your bumper and look at how thin-walled the bumper actually is. To combat this, a friend of mine took the interior dimensions of the bumper and ordered a steel post(heavy walled, like you see holding up canopies at school bus lines) and welded it into place. He had no trouble with the bumper then, although the bike rack came apart due to the constant bouncing. There are a couple of bike racks out there 'rated' for 5th wheels, like a couple of the Swagman racks. Not at all trying to discourage you, just trying to explain the things I've seen happen so you can prepare yourself and your rig so they won't happen to you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
The problem with bike racks back there are really two fold. One you are addressing, the second is the bouncing of the bikes. Remember, it's not just the weight you have to worry about, it's the constant bouncing which will cause anything secured around the bumper to twist. This twisting action will break the bumper and they will fall. Take off the end caps of your bumper and look at how thin-walled the bumper actually is. To combat this, a friend of mine took the interior dimensions of the bumper and ordered a steel post(heavy walled, like you see holding up canopies at school bus lines) and welded it into place. He had no trouble with the bumper then, although the bike rack came apart due to the constant bouncing. There are a couple of bike racks out there 'rated' for 5th wheels, like a couple of the Swagman racks. Not at all trying to discourage you, just trying to explain the things I've seen happen so you can prepare yourself and your rig so they won't happen to you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Good point!

So many issues would never exist if designers gave the customer what they wanted/needed for real world applications & not what they think we should have.
How many folks on this form have said “I’d pay $$$ extra if they would have installed it at the factory”.
This is not just confined to the RV industry. Autos, ATVs, boats & new townhouses all have the same problem.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
Good point!

So many issues would never exist if designers gave the customer what they wanted/needed for real world applications & not what they think we should have.
How many folks on this form have said “I’d pay $$$ extra if they would have installed it at the factory”.
This is not just confined to the RV industry. Autos, ATVs, boats & new townhouses all have the same problem.
I could not agree more! I would've paid for them to do a list of tiny mods that wouldn't have taken them anytime to do. Just like the back bumper! There is a metal fabrication company about 30 miles from me that all 4 of the RV dealers send people to have their bumpers replaced and strengthened. They do an average of four a week my closest RV dealer told me. And that is just from them!
Another case of the designer/engineer not being a camping nut!!!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #25

Okay, spent a great & informative week at the FROG rally. The warranty mgr moved my spare to the bumper. He indicated the bumpers (from the factory) are designed to handle 70 lbs. So one spare or a couple bikes but not both.
Just thought I'd pass that on.