Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

My solar system setup

I thought it was time to share my solar setup on our 2014 365saq. I wanted to use it all last year to make sure there was no kinks. Everything is working flawlessly. System consists on 2 145 watt panels, 3000 watt inverter/charger, and I went with 4 12v AGM 120 AH batteries. Here are some pictures. Everything is hidden in the wasted space behind the basement wall.

Here I added an extra breaker box, I took the second ac out of the original box and moved it here.

Here you can see the 4 AGM discover batteries and the xantrex 3000 watt inverter/charger in the back corner.

Here is my regulator and my complete system disconnect I added in. The disconnect cuts power to the whole trailer but still allows for solar charging, worked great for winter storage, kept my batteries topped up all winter.

My plan is to now add 1 maybe 2 more panels on the roof and 2 or 3 more batteries to the space behind the basement wall. On this system so far we have boondocked for over a week with no issues, we didn't go heavy on power useage but didn't really skimp either.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

It is snowing here today again that's why it is only charging at 1 amp. Lol
Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

I have a 2012 Solera motorhome. Is there an advantage of AGM batteries over the 12 Volt deep cycle batteries that the Forest River uses? Maybe not possible to know without knowing more about the batteries. I have a one-panel system that works fine as far as charging, but I need more battery storage.
I would like to stick with 2 batteries in the stairwell compartment - that's why I am curious if an AGM battery does a better job at storing energy than a regular deep cycle battery. Any way to make this calculation?

Good system. Thanks for sharing. Steve B in Boise
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

I am unsure if an AGM battery does any better of storing energy. I went this route because the are a sealed battery and don't put off an gasses. If you want to stick with 2 batteries I would suggest going with 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries, wired in series to make 12v. This will give you a lot more storage then you will get with 2 12 volt batteries.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Ok thanks,

I have heard that 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries, wired in series to make 12v stores more energy - but, seems to defy common sense.
Thanks for the reply!
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

It is proven, and I would say 75% of people that are switching batteries out go this route. You can get a true deep cycle battery this way, that can be run down to 0 over and over with no ill effects. I have always stayed with the 12v system, just easier. When we were running 2 batteries if we were to have 2 6 volts and say that rare case where one battery craps out then you have no power because there is no way to make 12 volts. But that is a rare scenario I would think.

Tags
solar