Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

need tires , help

I have a 2011 Sierra 356RL, loaded about 14,000 pounds. I'm ready to replace the factory tires, they are 235/80/16 load range E . What is the best tire? I have never purchased a trailer tire before so I need some input from the experts .

Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

I would recommend going to a tire shop that your rv will fit into. I use discount tire. They are very good to deal with and have a large selection.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

I would go with LT or "Light Truck" tires instead of ST or "Specialty Trailer" tires. There are several out there that will carry the weight limit you are talking about. I have Goodyear G614s with a 3750 lb per tire capacity currently. There are Michelins, Duravis and a few more that slip my mind as of now.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
I would go with LT or "Light Truck" tires instead of ST or "Specialty Trailer" tires. There are several out there that will carry the weight limit you are talking about. I have Goodyear G614s with a 3750 lb per tire capacity currently. There are Michelins, Duravis and a few more that slip my mind as of now.
Sorry, not a good idea. Vehicle tires are not built to take the turning angle we put on our trailers when we back them into tight places. Sometimes, 90 degrees. They are Specialty Tires because they can take that sideways push on the the sidewall without sidewall cord damage.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Sorry, not a good idea. Vehicle tires are not built to take the turning angle we put on our trailers when we back them into tight places. Sometimes, 90 degrees. They are Specialty Tires because they can take that sideways push on the the sidewall without sidewall cord damage.
Until I can find a non-Chinese made tire that will stay together and have the load carrying capacity these things require, I don't think there is much else out there. I've had two new campers in the last two years, each coming with non-US made tires. In less than year both campers had to have at least one tire replaced due to belt separation. The people I camp with, one with a toy hauler and the other a pull behind, have both had tire problems as well. And they are less than two years old. The pull behind had a catastrophic tire failure this summer leading to a $7200 insurance claim. All of us use TPMS and drive normally, not like idiots.
The optimum solution is to get 17.5" wheels and tires with enough load rating to do the job. They are commercial tires and stand the twisting and the constant speed around 60-64. Of course, the only problem is, is that you can't find 17.5" wheels in either a 5 or 6 lug application. Unless you have 8 lug(7k or 8k) axles, there are no wheels available. Do a search on here or over on RV.net forum for LT vs. ST tires and see what you get. Sooner or later NHTSA is going to have to get involved with this industry to keep them form putting these cheap, no name tires on these rigs. I know there have been several that have filed claims already.
As far as ST tires, the only ones I use on my car and boat trailers are Maxxis. I've had good luck with them, but none make one to carry the load range of my 5er safely.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Go with the LT's. Yes, the sidewalls may flex alot when I make sharp turns, but I do feel safer with these type of tires on the highway than with the ST's that seem to blowup when they overheat from long drives on the highway.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #7

I use LT tires on all my trailers. Our enclosed car trailer was the heaviest, it was around 16,000 loaded. Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm 40 years old and have never had a blow out on any of my 4 trailers. I only had a TT for 2 years but I ran LT's on that and never had a problem. Sorry but I think it's an obvious choice, better built tire, higher load capacity, and rated for higher speeds. I'm not an idiot driver but I'm not driving 60 mph going down the open interstate.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #8

LT's all the way!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #9

17.5 are the way to go, I have had 6 hole wheels made for 17.5s. It is a investment. 17.5 are used on low boy trailers and have a excellent failure rating. I have not found the need to step up as the 235s have had an excellent service for me. MOST tires failures are overloading, underpressure or overspeed. Some tire shops will not install LT tires if they know it is going on a trailer, due to liability. Without starting a war as this subject has been hashed over many times. It is what you feel is best for you.

Good Luck
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Get what ever your local tire shop has or can get, do your spare or at least check the date on it. I just plan on tires getting replaced every 3 years max, on my vehicles trailers and such. If they are still useable throw em on craigs list- someone will want them.
Ps. My 5er is probably getting LTs soon, but my current STs are only 5months old, but I want to swich to 16"rims
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote