Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

New Sierra 330RL

We will be picking up our new 2015 Sierra 330RL this Wednesday. We traded our 2011 FR V-Lite on it today. This will be my first 5th Wheel. We have loved the V-Lite but had to send it back to FR in 2011 for crack near RS slide and then last week I notice that the crack has returned. I contacted FR and they were willing to fix the unit again but we just did not want to set at home another 6 weeks while if was at the factory for repairs. So I went back to my dealer and he took it in trade for the new 2015 Sierra 330RL.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #2

Congrats on your 2015 Sierra 330RL. Hopefully your dealer was able to work with you for the inconvenience.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

yes, my wife and I are satisfied that he did work with us. I do not want to go into exact number but he discounted the sierra and then gave us more that what we owed on our V-Lite. They also threw in a new sliding 5th wheel hitch plus some other things. We are happy with the deal. At least we can go camping now and not sit around waiting on our V-lite to return from the shop. I will say that this is the Tom Johnson Camping center in Marion, NC. I know that we usually hear whenever a Dealer does bad things but in this instance we are happy with the outcome and since we are the ones that pays the bills that is all that counts. So Tom Johnson in Marion, NC did good.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

It's nice to hear about the good dealers and the way they treat people fairly.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #5

difference in towing

I would like to hear from some of you people that have towed a TT before and now tow a 5th wheel. What are some of the differences that I need to watch out for. What are the differences in towing, backing and just generally getting around with a 5th wheel instead of a TT. As always I really appreciate all of the insight that you guys give me.

Thanks,

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

The best thing is that the 5 er pulls way easier. You hardly notice it's there. No sway at all. But always make sure your pin is locked onto your fifthwheel many horror story's of guys pulling away and trailer falling off. Enjoy the 5 er we love ours
Jasonlevangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #7

That is good information. I am fortunate in that in my earlier years I worked as a trailer mechanic for a large trucking outfit. Because of that I have had prior experience with 5th wheels but this is my first 5th wheel travel trailer. I totally agree with you concerning making sure that the pin is locked. About 5% of my work on the trailers came from drivers not hooking & locking the 5th wheel properly. I am sure that the dealer will go through that procedure during my walk through. Also my dealer gives all buyers three nights of free camping at their onsite camp grounds. We are taking advantage of this. We also took advantage of the three nights of camping back in 2010 when we purchased the V-Lite from them. We had two different occasions to call the service department for some minor problems that we found. They were over at our camp site within a couple hours of our call to take care of the problems. But experience is the best teacher so we are again camping out with them for three night this time to be sure that all problems are fixed by the time that we take the 5th wheel home on Saturday. We hope !

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

Jensen Surround Sound

Do any of you other Sierra owners have the Jensen Surround sound system? My new 330 model has this system and we only have surround sound while playing dvd's. On our old V-Lite the surround system would play all anything that came through the Television but our Sierra only play surround sound from the dvd player. Is this standard for all Sierra's?

Thanks,

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #9

Dakota EV,
Welcome to the 5th wheel nation. We too are new owners (first time owners actually) and you'll find tons of 5er info here. Blue Ox makes Pin Catch safety devices; I put one on our Curtis hitch after watching YouTube one night, and talking to several other 5er owners while on a road trip in California. Well worth the cost compared to repairs to a truck, hitch, and RV.

98% joyous, 2% pure terror.
BigandJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #10

Thanks BigandJean for that suggestion. I have driven tractors & trailers before and I have seen a few of them come unhitched so I am aware of what damage that will cause. I am going to order one of the devices for my truck before that happens to me. On another note, I am starting to plan a trip out west next year. We will be gone for two months or more. I was looking at my 330 RLS and saw that it has a 65 amp inverter. I am aware that this is rather small but need to know what is actually ran off of this inverter when you are dry camping. Is there anyone out there that know what runs off of the inverter when the land power supply is not hooked up. I have been testing some solar panels setup at my house to offset my grid Electricity and I have been thinking about setting up some portable panels to take camping with me. I just do not have an idea of what wattage panels I need to carry with us in case we need to dry camp. We will be going west in either the spring of 2015 or fall of 2015. I have not decided on an exact date yet. Both the wife and I are retired and the kids have left the nest so we will be traveling alone. Yay. We are planning on staying at standard CG but there may be a time when a regular CG is not available so I want to be prepared. I am grateful for any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 04-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
Do any of you other Sierra owners have the Jensen Surround sound system? My new 330 model has this system and we only have surround sound while playing dvd's. On our old V-Lite the surround system would play all anything that came through the Television but our Sierra only play surround sound from the dvd player. Is this standard for all Sierra's?

Thanks,
Hello! Did you get any replies regarding the Jensen surround sound?

TIA,
Julie
jlbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #12

No,

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 04-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #13

I have a 2011 Sierra 300RL. NO PROBLEM with watching movies and using sound system.

Larry & Sharon
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #14

yes, my 2015 sierra is surround sound as long as you are watching the dvd player but the TV is just standard mono sound. The salesman told us that it was surround sound with everything but then that is what salesmen do. No big problem we have learned to live with it and we still love our 5th wheel. thanks and safe travels.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV

Tags
sierra