Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

new Sierra owner

Hello everyone. My wife an I are buying our first Forest River 5th wheel. 2014 Sierra 365SAQ. I have been camping my entire life as a child then when I got married and had children, I wanted them to have the same experiences loving camping and the outdoors (not that being inside the 365SAQ is like being outside; LOL). I am seasonal on Cap Cod Mass and its my slice of heaven on earth. I have had box trailers for the past 14 years and decided its time to step it up. The kids are getting a bit older and need more space which the Sierra will be sure to provide. Plus it is truly a step up in quality and the craftsmanship (as you are all well aware). I will need to get used to the mechanicals of the 5th wheel as they are foreign to me but I am sure I will acclimate quickly.
I have read thru lots of posts and think I need to make sure I have the right amount of a/c. Mine has the 15K and boxed an wired for the second machine. I think June will be a good time to add that. I haven't taken possession of mine yet but I am looking forward to spending a couple hours in the walk through and will find the checklist helpful... so thanks!
I lok forward to being an active member of the community and I am happy to he a FROG... LOL. - Joe
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobichaud View Post
Hello everyone. My wife an I are buying our first Forest River 5th wheel. 2014 Sierra 365SAQ. I have been camping my entire life as a child then when I got married and had children, I wanted them to have the same experiences loving camping and the outdoors (not that being inside the 365SAQ is like being outside; LOL). I am seasonal on Cap Cod Mass and its my slice of heaven on earth. I have had box trailers for the past 14 years and decided its time to step it up. The kids are getting a bit older and need more space which the Sierra will be sure to provide. Plus it is truly a step up in quality and the craftsmanship (as you are all well aware). I will need to get used to the mechanicals of the 5th wheel as they are foreign to me but I am sure I will acclimate quickly.
I have read thru lots of posts and think I need to make sure I have the right amount of a/c. Mine has the 15K and boxed an wired for the second machine. I think June will be a good time to add that. I haven't taken possession of mine yet but I am looking forward to spending a couple hours in the walk through and will find the checklist helpful... so thanks!
I lok forward to being an active member of the community and I am happy to he a FROG... LOL. - Joe
Take a video cam with you and record the walkthru. There's a lot to forget if you don't.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats on your 2014 Sierra 365SAQ.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:

Congrats! We have a 2014 Sandpiper 365SAQ. Can you give some recommendations for your favorite campgrounds on the Cape? We went to Sweetwaterforest last summer in Brewster and were not impressed to say the least.....
tromler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

thank you trmoler. There are lots of campgrounds on the cape but my bias opinion there really is only one place to go... Bayview Campgrounds. Its 2 miles over the Bourne bridge on rt 28. It is clean, safe, environment with plenty of family and kid activities in the summer. As a kid my family was seasonal from age 8 thru age 17 (then I went college and had no desire to go). Then in 2000, I decided to bring my family there. Throughout the years, I have made many friends and many are now close friends. Check it out on their website www.bayviewcampground.com.

Shoot me a note if you decide to try it.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #6

Congrats on the 365! Best floor plan available for ones like us with kids. Yes, do the second air and check the axles(7k) and weight. Here's to many enjoyable trips in your new rig!

Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the advise golfmedik. I posted a new thread about which A/C unit I should consider. I you have any thoughts they are greatly appreciated.

Also, How do I know if my Sierra is equipt w the 7000lb axles? The brochure says all 2014 have them, but how can I tell for sure?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks for the advise golfmedik. I posted a new thread about which A/C unit I should consider. I you have any thoughts they are greatly appreciated.

Also, How do I know if my Sierra is equipt w the 7000lb axles? The brochure says all 2014 have them, but how can I tell for sure?
All 2014's will have the 7k axles, but if your wheels are 8 lug, they are 7k, there is also a tag on the axle itself. The 365 is a great floorplan. My only complaint with them, has been the outside kitchen. It's just not designed properly, at least for us, and is the main reason I didn't trade my 2012 in on a new 2014. We love the new full bath in the 2014's though!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
All 2014's will have the 7k axles, but if your wheels are 8 lug, they are 7k, there is also a tag on the axle itself. The 365 is a great floorplan. ...... We love the new full bath in the 2014's though!
Exactly, If you have 8 lug wheels you are good to go(can also tell by the white sticker on left front of camper near propane door). I too believe the 365 is the best. I love the storage and cabinets in the bunkroom with all of the 'openness' as my son says. I wish the storage area was bigger, say a dropped frame type size. However, I also like the new ones with the full shower. My wife would kill me if I suggested trading for a new one for that!! Joke is, that I traded our '11 355QBQ because of a kitchen cabinet!!

Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

Just fyi, mine is a 2014 and had 6k axles... So did my brothers.. I had to get fr to replace them.. So not all 2014 have them thats for sure..
Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Exactly, If you have 8 lug wheels you are good to go(can also tell by the white sticker on left front of camper near propane door). I too believe the 365 is the best. I love the storage and cabinets in the bunkroom with all of the 'openness' as my son says. I wish the storage area was bigger, say a dropped frame type size. However, I also like the new ones with the full shower. My wife would kill me if I suggested trading for a new one for that!! Joke is, that I traded our '11 355QBQ because of a kitchen cabinet!!

Monty
I'm right there with ya Monty! I think the perfect 5er would be a dropped frame 365, with a front side kitchen slide(3715bh blueridge), and a customizable outside kitchen. In 2 years I've never used the outside microwave, other than for a clock.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #12

Congrats on the new rig! Your story sounds much like mine. Always camped with parents and want to give our kids the same experience. Your probably like me and can not wait to get it! Our 3 girls loved the new camper this year and we had alot of fun. Took it all the way to Seattle and spent 2 weeks at Glacier and Yellowstone. Pulled great through the mountains and had no issues whatsoever except for the battery. The dealer will put a battery in but its not at all strong enough. Take the time to look over the unit when you pick it up and go through everything. After season last year we had to get some issues addressed under warranty. I hope you have a great season camping with your 365 I know we did.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Thanks cookie12. Did u buy the extended warranty offered by forest river. I saw but cannot find yet the post. Something like $150 for year 2
Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Congratulations on the buy!! Just got mine a week ago and love it! Got the 355re with 5 slides. Staying in Florida for the winter And loving it!! 83 today....

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #15

Yes we got an additional 6 year warranty added on. Will have to check how much we paid for it.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

6 year warranty was offered by dealer (aftermarket) which covered camper and appliances beyond year 1. Cost was quoted at $1500. Since I go seasonal and don't move it, I figured I wouldn't need it. I bought it on my last camper and since my dealer went out of business the company (GE Capital) was impossible to find and contact.

I thing the $250 is reasonable investment to extend the factory warranty.