Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
I can get the braces welded and would not have posted had there been signs of broken welds. Because I found no previous welds, I was unsure as to what I was looking at. I never imagined something like this being missed at the factory. Obviously, my expectation of RV manufacturing workmanship was unrealistic.
Things get missed real easy
Take our tt it was sold new by the same dealer that we bought it from used
We were given a maintain end history that showed no work other then winterizing and inspections done every year
Even during my inspection I missed a light issue stop/turn and running lights were wired backwards so when you had the running lights on you wouldn’t see stop or turn because they were so dim. My wife noticed in our first outing no brake lights I did find damage on the plug so I replaced it and still no brake lights till I looked closer at things
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #22

Thanks for all of the replies. They are much appreciated. Here are some responses to my replies:

* The braces look to be factory installed, and not something that was added by the original owner.

* Braces for a tank is something that did not occur to me. I think that my control panel does have an indicator for an additional tank that was not installed on this unit. (I am at work and cannot check this for sure).

* Given the light gauge of the metal, I doubt they are for unit structural support.

* Regardless of their function, I still think that they should have been welded on both ends......................
vetplus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. They are much appreciated. Here are some responses to my replies:

* The braces look to be factory installed, and not something that was added by the original owner.

* Braces for a tank is something that did not occur to me. I think that my control panel does have an indicator for an additional tank that was not installed on this unit. (I am at work and cannot check this for sure).

* Given the light gauge of the metal, I doubt they are for unit structural support.

* Regardless of their function, I still think that they should have been welded on both ends......................
Why would it be welded at both ends? It's probably non-used tank support strap. It probably got put in place on all frames and only used IF a tank was installed. It's called mass production (thank Henry Ford). You would be very surprised how many unused electric plugs there are on your car. It's a 6-year-old trailer. Get over it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #24

The braces are likely for a second black tank that my unit doesn't have.

That said, the braces most likely were supposed to be welded and overlooked. Right now, with one loose end on each brace, they "bounce" and "clang" going down the road. In addition, constant bouncing could cause the weld end to break and allow each piece to fall out on the road.

Now, having said that, I am comfortable in the fact that it isn't a structural issue and nothing I need to be concerned about.

Thanks to all...........
Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #25

Is the angle iron that the 3 unwelded supports lay on welded or bolted to the frame? If the angle iron is bolted on, it's possible that the 3 supports are NOT welded in order to allow the angle iron to be removed, a tank slid on top of the 3 supports, then the angle iron moved up against the 3 supports and bolted back in place.

Just a thought.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Is the angle iron that the 3 unwelded supports lay on welded or bolted to the frame? If the angle iron is bolted on, it's possible that the 3 supports are NOT welded in order to allow the angle iron to be removed, a tank slid on top of the 3 supports, then the angle iron moved up against the 3 supports and bolted back in place.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the input.
I will have to look, but I am betting that the long angle iron pieces are welded. If they are in fact bolted, you may have solved the mystery.

It seems to me that if this was indeed the design function, simply bolting the three braces (then unbolting them for tank installation, and then bolting them back) would have been less labor intensive than having to remove a longer piece and reinstalling it. That said, I dont have any visual means to see how the tanks that I do have are installed so i am essentially "guessing".

Tags