Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
The axles were replaced..... after I mentioned that I reported the issue to the NHTSA. The NHTSA investigator explained to me that recalls and technical bulletins are issued based on claims and reports. The RV industry is on the honor system for reporting warranty claims, which they don't exactly take seriously. So, even if/when the MFG steps up and handles the issue it should still be reported to the NHTSA.

How many people don't inspect their frame? I certainly wouldn't have noticed the issues I'm having had I not been tracking down a hydraulic problem and decided to remove the underbelly cover. How many people think, or should be expected, to remove their underbelly cover to inspect the frame cross-members.

Every experience I have had with FR has taught me that if I don't report issues to governing agencies or go in ready for a fight and negotiation that my issue won't be resolved. As far as Lippert is concerned.... I told them in my initial email that I already filed an NHTSA complaint. I don't believe the issue is due to their MFGing process. FR provided the specs and built guideline. Lippert built it to spec, which unfortunately required 6k axles. I believe the frame issues I'm experiencing are due to the under rated axles. Lippert built what they were asked to build, the customer (FR) did a poor job engineering the design to which Lippert MFG'd the product. To Lippert's credit that have asked for quite a bit of information and they have opened a case to review the situation.

Regardless of resolution status / effort / outcome though these issues need to be reported for the sake of all the 'average' consumers who aren't spot checking their frames on a regular basis or traveling with friends and family to alert them to bent axles. I am appreciative that FR corrected my axle situation, though they have consistently referred to it as an upgrade and not a repair, but the good of all RV consumers we don't do anyone any favors by not reporting major issues that could lead to injury or death.
I'm not convinced that the frame issue is due to the axle issue. Lippert had an issue a few years back with cracked frames at the pin box. This was not due to poor design, but rather poor welding and cheap steel. There will be cross loads on the frame, regardless of axle size. Lippert also has their own engineers that design the frames to handle what FR designers give them. Lippert isn't going to intentionally put something on the road that they know could, and would, come back on them as the manufacturer. Lippert has a frame warranty and they are not going to leave that to chance by simply taking another designers word that, "this is a good design". I also think the axle size issue is still debatable. I have 6k axles on mine, they do fine, I'm not overweight, and they will stop me on a dime. I don't have an issue with the axles. I'm sure there are many more out there like myself. That's not to say that having the 7k axles wouldn't be better, it would. I will also make sure to get them on my next one. My point is not to argue the situation of reporting to the NHTSA, but I stand behind the Sierra/Sandpiper line as being one of the best values out there and producing a quality product for the money, and I, personally, would give them the chance to make it right before I bad mouthed them. Please don't take this as me saying you did wrong, this is just my opinion, and another viewpoint for others to read.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I'm not convinced that the frame issue is due to the axle issue. Lippert had an issue a few years back with cracked frames at the pin box. This was not due to poor design, but rather poor welding and cheap steel. There will be cross loads on the frame, regardless of axle size. Lippert also has their own engineers that design the frames to handle what FR designers give them. Lippert isn't going to intentionally put something on the road that they know could, and would, come back on them as the manufacturer. Lippert has a frame warranty and they are not going to leave that to chance by simply taking another designers word that, "this is a good design". I also think the axle size issue is still debatable. I have 6k axles on mine, they do fine, I'm not overweight, and they will stop me on a dime. I don't have an issue with the axles. I'm sure there are many more out there like myself. That's not to say that having the 7k axles wouldn't be better, it would. I will also make sure to get them on my next one. My point is not to argue the situation of reporting to the NHTSA, but I stand behind the Sierra/Sandpiper line as being one of the best values out there and producing a quality product for the money, and I, personally, would give them the chance to make it right before I bad mouthed them. Please don't take this as me saying you did wrong, this is just my opinion, and another viewpoint for others to read.
Very well said Timmy! I think some folks are a little quick to point fingers some times. My grandpappy always said "when you point a finger, remember you have 3 pointing back at yourself." Not that that is the case here, but something to take into consideration.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Very well said Timmy! I think some folks are a little quick to point fingers some times. My grandpappy always said "when you point a finger, remember you have 3 pointing back at yourself." Not that that is the case here, but something to take into consideration.
Your grandpappy was probably the FIRST one to say that, knowing how old you are!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Your grandpappy was probably the FIRST one to say that, knowing how old you are!
According to our 2 boys, "3 days older than dirt".
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
According to our 2 boys, "3 days older than dirt".
I can understand that!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

Quote:
.... I, personally, would give them the chance to make it right before I bad mouthed them. Please don't take this as me saying you did wrong, this is just my opinion, and another viewpoint for others to read.
I don't take this as judgement at all, and by all means each one of us needs to manage these situations in a fashion with which we're most comfortable. I don't believe I've 'bad mouthed' them at all though. My posts are accounts, or based on accounts, of my actual experience. There is very little opinion, except where I note 'in my opinion'. These posts are the facts, as I understand them, associated with my situation(s).

My root point was just that regardless of how well or how poorly a safety issue is handled I wanted to advocate that it be reported to the appropriate regulatory agency.

All this being said.... I did receive calls from FR and Lippert today, but only after the NHTSA Rep with whom I've been speaking contacted them directly. I've posted the details in the thread associated with my current frame issues.

My past experience tells me though that had the NHTSA Rep not contacted FR I'd still be waiting for a call back and would ultimately have to fight for weeks to even get some consideration for a fix.

Nights Camped in 2015 -- 40
Nights Camped in 2016 -- 26
cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #17

If you don't mind could you send a private message with your contact information. I would like to talk with them about our camper. Thanks Josh