Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

No hot water

I have a Sierra 376bhok. For our first trip out, we got to the campground and had no hot water. The water heater tank was full, but when I turned on any hot water faucet any where in the camper, water came out but it wasn't hot no matter how long I let it run. I called the dealer and they suspected the main bypass valve. I took it in for them to fix. They found that the valve was good, but I had the outside shower hot side turned on. No water was running, but just turning on the hot side somehow will cause no hot water to one to and other faucet. Since nothing was wrong, the warranty wouldn't cover anything. All I got out of it was a bill for 2.5 hours labor.
Hope this saves someone else the time, money, and aggravation.

2015 Forest River Sierra.
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
dj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #2

Sounds like a strange excuse for no hot water???? Did you see this for yourself or is this what the Dealer said? I am just questioning this.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #3

I couldn't get any hot water. Didn't realize I left the hot on the outside shower when I was getting the antifreeze out. I would have thought the dealer should have know that problem or at least have figured it out in less than 2.5 hours. Not that the outside shower is turned off, all is well!

2015 Forest River Sierra.
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
dj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Sounds like a strange excuse for no hot water???? Did you see this for yourself or is this what the Dealer said? I am just questioning this.
Herk has posted this numerous times when talking about no hot water even if the bypass valves are in the right position, the same thing will happen with the indoor shower if you have the faucets on and the hose shut off.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

If you have any issues in the future be sure to ask questions here first before going to a dealer. There's a good chance someone will be able to help you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
WFD

OK...What am i missing??? If you had water running to other faucets, why is it that with your hot water tap on at the outside shower that no water was running. Was it just that the shut off was activated..if it was, would there not still be a small trickle just like an inside shower?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:21 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj13 View Post
and had no hot water. The water heater tank was full, but when I turned on any hot water faucet any where in the camper, water came out but it wasn't hot no matter how long I let it run. but I had the outside shower hot side turned on. No water was running, but just turning on the hot side somehow will cause no hot water to one to and other faucet.
Usually, with the outside shower turned on, you initially have hot water, then it turns basically lukewarm as cold water is mixed in with it, being drawn into the hot water line from the cold water tap at the outside shower....when you are opening any hot water taps inside the trailer.

Is this what you mean by "no hot water"......or do you mean it was cold water from the get go...........and not warm at all?

If you had warmish water, then yes it sounds like you left the outside shower taps on. If it was pure cold water all the way around...then it sounds suspect as to the actual problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
OK...What am i missing??? If you had water running to other faucets, why is it that with your hot water tap on at the outside shower that no water was running. Was it just that the shut off was activated..if it was, would there not still be a small trickle just like an inside shower?
WFD, you're probably thinking of an actual shower wand like many, but not all, have. I'd bet his doesn't have a shower wand but more of a hose like I have in my Silverback. These have a quick connect/disconnect feature and they don't leak at all, especially if the hose isn't connected. This is a picture of my outside "shower" without the hose connected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3862 - Copy.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	75700

If the faucets are open it allows cold water to mix with the hot.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
WFD

Oh ok...now I see....I have never seen an outside shower with a quick connect like that...I like that idea! Wish I had that...has happened more than once that the outside shower tap gets opened ever so slightly to cause a little trickle.

Tags
hot water, water