Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Threads: 63,000, Posts: 675,718, Members: 62,458

This forum is a numbers game. if 1 percent complain that is way below normal. I don't see the few threads even coming close to pandemenic of trailers falling apart and rolling down the road dropping parts all over the place. I have small issues with 8289, had issues with my TT, I took action and was firm but respectful with both the dealer and Forest River.
The OP and owner that has problems needs to also be part of the solution just don't trash it and throw bricks.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #42
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I think the discussion of flame wars started to clarify why some of these vent threads get closed. I don't think anyone is saying this thread is a flame war.
You are correct, nobody is saying the thread is a flame war, they are talking about the possibility of this thread and threads like it being closed because of the "potential" for a flame war. Again, nary a flame here, no reason to even think that >62K people can not understand somebody having a bad day due to their new baby being ugly and then turning it into a flame war. Except for a few cranky, intolerant types, this forum is absolute greatness and the amount of support people receive is awesome.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #43

We purchased our SP-240 surveyor 2 years ago. I can't think of any problems we had that were factory related. We have traveled about 6,000 miles with out any trouble. Just returned this summer from 3,000 miles Grand Canyon trip with the grand kids everything still working. We custom ordered ours through a dealer in Moss Bluff, La, after we had agreed on the price and wanted a specific interior, they keep it for two weeks checking everything out after it came in. Third week end of camping had a problem with the AC, called customer service at the factory and they told me what I was doing wrong. Sorry other have had problems and we know we are lucky to have had such a good dealer. We found a factory certified service company locally and we have had them add some additional features with out any problems. I guess we are very specific about what we want, have clear communications and don't mind paying a fair price. Best of luck, I know those kinds of issues are very frustrating.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #44

Forest River is straight up junk!!! I will NEVER buy another FR product! I have had one problem after another!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
JRRoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #45

Bought our 8289 in dec `13 and one what I called major at the time, slide would not work. The dealer in our town said it would be fall before he could even look at it, not purchased from them. Well I got under it, found the problem (gear pack) and FR sent me one. Replaced it myself and it's been great ever since. About a 45 min repair. I also went through the unit filling in all the enlarged holes that were made for pipes and wires and filled them with spray foam insulation. Coming up on 4K miles and 8 months of travel the only complaint I have is the "C" rated tires on the unit. No flats or anything yet but I will be putting GY Marathons "D" rated tires on it before our next trip. I did have the factory tires balanced before our very first trip, that could be one reason for no tire trouble yet. Pressure & torque checked before each tow, 60 mph max. I would buy another FR product in the future.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #46

We bought our Flagstaff 27 RLWS from Cheyenne Camping Center in July of 2013, had it delivered, and did a trip to the Black Hills for a shakedown cruise. This spring, we did the ALCAN highway, and now have approximately 10,000 miles on the T.T., with no problems. I do know it is a Wednesday's trailer, so maybe that helps. I am sorry for people that have problems with their dealers, and RV's.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #47

FR

I love Cheyenne camping center in Iowa. We have had great service from them will buy from then again. We love our FR Columbus 320rs. Had a few problems but were taken care of right away
jackdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRoden View Post
Forest River is straight up junk!!! I will NEVER buy another FR product! I have had one problem after another!

Very helpful post! I would assume that you have done everything you can to get you POS repaired. Have you talked to FR or had it returned to the factory? I don't know where you live but it is worth the time to make that trip if you are having issues. They will pick your unit up also if it needs to be returned. Also some pre planing on your and FR part will keep the turn around time to a minimum. If they know what parts you need they can turn the rig around and have it back to you much faster.
I also see that you are trying to sell your POS to other forum members and stating that you just "want to down size" hmm not nice!I wish you the best and hope that you can get your rig straight and back to camping without the hassles.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdi View Post
I love Cheyenne camping center in Iowa. We have had great service from them will buy from then again. We love our FR Columbus 320rs. Had a few problems but were taken care of right away
X2 on Cheyenne!

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #50
NELA

Just came back from a 2K mile round trip, up to TN, then up into NC, back down to TN, then home. Our 5er (see sig below) performed flawlessly during the entire trip, including towing. We were camping in some extreme heat temps, and I actually spent some of my indoor time wrapped in a blanket sitting in my recliner. YEP, those two A/Cs "walked the dog" on those extreme heat temps!

Said it before, I'll say it *again*; we've owned two 2014 FR Flagstaff RVs in the last 18 months:

V-Lite traded in after 8 months due ONLY to physical challenges (we both have neck injuries) of the WDH, etc.

And now the 5er.

Only thing we'd do differently if we had to do it all over again; we'd go with the Forest River Flagstaff 5th wheel FIRST.

AWESOME Dealer

AWESOME Product

Don't know what the build date on the V-Lite was, but our 5er has a Wednesday build date. Some say that has no bearing, some say it does. (shrug) Matters not to us, we couldn't be happier with our "2nd home on wheels".

Oh, and BTW, YES we took those "maypop" tires off before we even towed it 500 miles. Went from 6 ply LRC to 10 ply LRE. Better safe than sorry. Those LRC's are stacked in the back yard. Some person around here with a lawn care trailer will want 'em.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Very helpful post! I would assume that you have done everything you can to get you POS repaired. Have you talked to FR or had it returned to the factory? I don't know where you live but it is worth the time to make that trip if you are having issues. They will pick your unit up also if it needs to be returned. Also some pre planing on your and FR part will keep the turn around time to a minimum. If they know what parts you need they can turn the rig around and have it back to you much faster.
I also see that you are trying to sell your POS to other forum members and stating that you just "want to down size" hmm not nice!I wish you the best and hope that you can get your rig straight and back to camping without the hassles.

Honestly I am wanting to downsize. I want something 36' or less. Yes I am also tired of dealing with FR. I call FR junk because:

Both front hydraulic jacks have been replaced after arguing for two years

My trailer stays 80 degrees in the summer running both A/C's. Even after installing sun guard tint over factory tint and put the thin insulation in all windows.

My trailer cost me $200-$400 a month in propane during the winter due to poor insulation. I was told by dealer it was four seasons winterized

I had to replace all cabinet hinges cause they started falling off from normal use

My bunk bed frame broke after 6 months with my 5 year old sleeping on it.

Just now trying to get axles replaced.

Granted these are nothing major but the craftsmanship of these trailers is horrible. The insulation is the worst I ever seen. I was a newbie when I bought mine and if I knew about the insulation issue I would have bought an open range or keystone. As far as the issues with the trailer they have all been fixed. I would not sell something that is not right to someone regardless. So don't act like I am trying to screw someone over. I am calling FR for face value junk but some people swear by them. After dealing with FR I will never buy another one of their products.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #52

Quote:

Yep that was a helpful post
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Honestly I am wanting to downsize. I want something 36' or less. Yes I am also tired of dealing with FR. I call FR junk because:

Both front hydraulic jacks have been replaced after arguing for two years

My trailer stays 80 degrees in the summer running both A/C's. Even after installing sun guard tint over factory tint and put the thin insulation in all windows.

My trailer cost me $200-$400 a month in propane during the winter due to poor insulation. I was told by dealer it was four seasons winterized

I had to replace all cabinet hinges cause they started falling off from normal use

My bunk bed frame broke after 6 months with my 5 year old sleeping on it.

Just now trying to get axles replaced.

Granted these are nothing major but the craftsmanship of these trailers is horrible. The insulation is the worst I ever seen. I was a newbie when I bought mine and if I knew about the insulation issue I would have bought an open range or keystone. As far as the issues with the trailer they have all been fixed. I would not sell something that is not right to someone regardless. So don't act like I am trying to screw someone over. I am calling FR for face value junk but some people swear by them. After dealing with FR I will never buy another one of their products.

OK here is a solution:
Make your bucket list of repairs
Wait until Jan 1 or so 2015 (because you obviously have a jerk Dealer)
Register for the Forest River Owners Group Rally next year
Drag your TT to the rally
Have Forest river fix every one of your issues for free for the $380-ish cost of the rally
Problem solved.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #54

Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to go to the rally since I am taking care of my mother. Even if I did go to the rally I would want FR to buy my trailer back. I am sorry for the negativity but I am tired of dealing with FR.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #55

Have you dealt with Forest River direct or with a dealer? Set up an appointment to take it to the Factory for the repairs if the dealer can get it done. i had the same problems. It was really the dealers causing the problems, Not Forest River. Once i contacted them and it went to the factory, everything has been fixed to my satisfaction and then some. Is a big difference having it done there than at a dealer that does not care. I was in the same boat and wanted them to either buy it back or give me a new unit. They went above and beyond to make my unit great.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #56

Well I am going to get an e-mail for a gentleman at FR tomorrow from a fellow forum member I work with. An I will go from there but I don't have the time to drag my trailer all the way to Indiana. I will gladly have them come pick it up.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #57

And they will do. They offered to pick up and deliver my MH to get the repairs done. I did have time and took it my self. They did offer to reimburse for fuel.
Can't beat that.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #58
Texas Proud

We're you able to get contact information from factory?

2014 Salem 327RES
2015 Ford F250 Platinum
2013 nights camped (43)
2014 nights camped (26)
2015 nights camped (02)
boggesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #59

My overall first impression of Forest River products is a good one. I have only owned my Sandpiper for two weeks but the fit and finish is been superior to the other models I have owned and I was very impressed with my keystone product before this. The issues that I've had one screw that was halfway out and there was one finish nail that was halfway and both easily fixed without a trip back to the dealer. The only item I will need the dealer to correct is the water filter will not stay on. I have a temporary fix applied but will need the dealer to apply a permanent fix.

I do understand that when I have issues I will need to take my trailer back to my original dealer in most cases to be repaired under warranty. The Forrest river pamphlets set the expectation before I even engaged in conversation with the dealer. Owning two other brands my experience was the exact same, needed to take it to the original dealer or wait. My dealer did provide an emergency contact number to reach them after hours or if on the road and I were to have issues so they may assist in a repair but do not offer a mobile repair service.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #60

Anyone got a number for FR? I just called their main line and the guy I talked to was extremely rude!

Tags
forest river