Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Overall Opinion of the Forest River product

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum. My husband & I purchased a 2015 Sierra 360PDEK recently. When we went to pick it up, we inspected it from top to bottom. In fact, I was irritating the guys at pick up because I kept pointing out things, so I feel I definitely did my due diligence. At that time, we found 12 warranty items - mostly aesthetic (except for the microwave that shorted and had to be replaced and the broken flat screen TV mount). We knew that we would likely find other issues, as we used the trailer. We were not naive enough to think that it was perfect - but Holy Cow!! After taking it out, we are now up to about 30 warranty items.
Things like: the cable/satellite connection doesn't work at all (we are not recreational campers, so this is a big deal for us); the table mounted so close to the wall that the pleated shades can't be lowered or raised without significant effort that will eventually tear them up; the DVD player volume has to be maxed (literally) in order to hear a movie; shredded rubber seals on at least 2 slides - the one in the living room is so bad that we can lift the slide carpet and see the ground outside; the door has to be slammed HARD & the rubber is now damaged because of it; the lock on the door is so loose that it accidentally falls into the locked position frequently - we don't ever leave the trailer without keys in hand, for fear of being locked out; when it rains, the window at the top of the stairs looks like a fountain, with water sheeting over the glass on the outside and seeping into the tray at the bottom of the window frame inside; this trailer has the rear deck - there were no covers installed on the outdoor deck lights, and the walk out gate can't be closed if you are standing in front of it because the floor bows so badly that it overlaps on the rail; and most concerning is that the outside doors frequently pop open as we travel... the slightest dip in the road twists the trailer so much that doors pop open. Thank goodness the entrance door has the handrail in front of it or it would be swinging wide open as we travel down the road (both the latch & deadbolt were locked on it). We always make sure that all doors are locked and well secured, so we have no idea how to prevent this from happening. These are just a few of the items that we have had.
My question is, have others had this many problems with their Forest River trailer too? I'm really disappointed with the overall workmanship of this trailer. For what we paid, I guess I expected better. Now we have to send it back to the dealership for what we know will be a significant amount of time (they estimate 2 months) to get it fixed. That is just ridiculous!! We travel very frequently with only a week to maybe a month in between trips, so it has been very hard to schedule these repairs. We traded in our 2009 Jayco travel trailer for this 5th wheel. I really do love the Sierra with lots more room & features that we had on our wish list, but we never had issues with the Jayco at all, so it's really frustrating. I had heard that Forest River was a good brand, but right now I'm feeling a little duped.

Days Camping; 2014- 109 days so far
Namaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Sierra. I'm sure that some members are disappointed in their units but many of us are happy with ours. I haven't had any problems with my TT except for the propane tank regulator that needed replacing during the second year.

I also found that the dealership can play a role in the happiness or unhappiness too.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

Hello
We had some major issues and many days at the dealers waiting for service. Forest River stepped up and took care of all the problems and then some. We had our doubts at first but i can say were are very happy with the unit and with Forest River.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Hello
We had some major issues and many days at the dealers waiting for service. Forest River stepped up and took care of all the problems and then some. We had our doubts at first but i can say were are very happy with the unit and with Forest River.
Did you have to contact Forest River directly or did the dealership do that on your behalf?

Days Camping; 2014- 109 days so far
Namaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

Hope Forest River will fix ours. I emailed them this morning. New Silverback, dealer says nothing wrong only to have same issues again.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Mine's 3 years old and has never been back. That doesn't mean there were no problems. However, I'm handy enough that it's easier for me to fix minor stuff than to take it to them. There was a skylight recall and I did that myself. The kitchen sink broke, but that was my fault for leaving a heavy object in it and hitting some rough road. I replaced that with a stainless steel unit that was cheaper than the original plastic sink... by quite a bit. Other than the ultra crappy tires, I've been very happy with mine. However, from what I read... it must have been built on Wednesday...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #7

Sorry about your problems, just keep them listed and then take it back to the dealer for repairs. You will not find a better company then FR. It's a pain to go through but they will take care of them, seems some units have more problems then others, like anything else. You will not find a better company then FR. I have had 3 units all started with problems do to the fact they produce around 35 units a day of your model. I'm not trying to make excuses for them but rest assure they will take care of them. My door will open sometimes, but do you have a grab arm? That's what saves me. Also WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

The frig won't stay cold. The temp can get up into the 50's. There is hot water in all the cold water faucets and the toilet. Dealer said nothing wrong after we took it back for a week. The central vac quit working and the inside air conditioner cover broke this weekend.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #9

seems more like the norm any more.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #10

I agree with Terier - Choosing the right dealership has a lot to do with it as well. The majority of that stuff should have been caught and remedied long before you stepped through the door.

Sorry to hear you've had so many things to deal with.

Tags
forest river