Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

RV skirting

Anyone ever spend the winter in a 5ver with 5 slides and no skirting? There will be some nights and days where the temp will be in the teens, cargo bay will be heated, I have no heating pads on the holding tanks. I will be using a heated water hose. What is the best way to attach skirting to trailer without tape or screws?
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

Unless there is Insulation involved and Heat below, the skirting Only provides "Eye Candy"! Youroo!!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Unless there is Insulation involved and Heat below, the skirting Only provides "Eye Candy"! Youroo!!
Wouldn't skirting help with wind, and moving air under the TT? No different than skirting on a mobile home. I put skirting up and could go under the TT and there was a difference. Click image for larger version

Name:	0916171629.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	152357Click image for larger version

Name:	0916171630.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	152358
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

Skirting, unfortunately only keeps the wind from blowing right through into your living room. I just received a quote for skirting our 43' 5th wheel yesterday, $5000 cdn. plus $500 for the install and a bunch of rivets in a brand new trailer. NO Way!!!
Our trailer is very well insulated (already had a few nights in the mid twenties last week, furnace didn't break a sweat) but the mercury can easily drop to neg. 35 - 40 in Jan. and Feb., batt insulation and Tyvek housewrap is what we're probably going to do - we'll see, it's not our first winter in the cold but the first in this trailer.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #5

Cypressloser how do you attach the Tyvek to you trailer to make it air tight? Thanks in advance.
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #6

IDk yet, I'll have to try tuck tape in an inconspicuous place and see if it comes off without leaving a mess. I know, silver tape would be a disaster. Gaffers tape and duct tape will fall off eventually. 15 years ago we had the underbelly of our trailer sealed with spray foam but I'll never do that again, it still froze and it was a mess getting in to fix the slide out when it broke. We still have a month or so before the snow stays, we'll see.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

I used silt fence with wire backing and metal post, my TT is 30 feet long ,with 2 slide outs, I didn't put any screws in to the TT, l have $300.00 dollars in it, the only thing l am stationary.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

I was living in my Fiver for 8 months while building my house.. Now I know it doesn`t get as cold where i`m at. I put hay bales around mine for the winter and install 2 gel radiator heaters under the camper.. Helped alot, I know that they don`t look the best but it was temp living and I just burned all the bales when the house was built. If i had to do a permanent skirting job I would probably install some kind of snap button on the trailer and use a canvas or special made skirting for it so it would look good.
divers6926 is offline   Reply With Quote