Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

second battery thoughts?

Anyone put a second battery into their unit? Im thinking about adding a second to my 365SAQ but trying to decide if its worth it.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Been thinking the same thing. The parasitic drain on the 365saq is fairly heavy, at least seems so to me. If I do, I believe I'm going to go with 2 6 volt batteries. Last much longer, and I can get for same price or cheaper than good RV batteries. I usually disconnect my battery, but if I forget, it's dead within a week or so. I do know, the batteries should be matched, brand, type, age, etc.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

If you stay in full hook ups most always it is not worth it.

If you boondock even a little you will find it a required upgrade.

The standard dual purpose battery has about 70-80 amp hours of capacity and will last with typical usage in warm weather and minimal lighting about 2 days till dead. Anything more than that will require a generator.

If you boondock in cool weather where the furnace is used, overnight is about all you will hope to get out of a fully charged battery.

If you add an inverter to use any 120 VAC appliances on battery, two (or more) batteries will be required. These are photos of my modification to the front bay of my 5th wheel in order to create a power compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	16320   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	16321   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	16322   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 005.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	16323   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 June 2009 017.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	16324  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

I may pull the trigger today, just feeling like it should have a couple batteries in it....also looking at generators as well
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

It all depends of what you need. If you will be doing some dry-camping (no electricity) or boon-docking (in the boonies with nothing at all), then a 2nd battery would help.

It's all to do with Amp-Hours.

A typical 12V dealer installed battery will give you 75 AH. (marine deep cycle type), so 2 of the same would give you 150 AH for example, enough to run a 5A motor for 30 hours. (150 / 5 = 30). One such battery would give you 15 hours only.

I have elected to go with 2 - 6V Golf Cart batteries - wired in series to give me 12V, from Costco ($80 each) and that provides for 220 AH. These batteries - according to many - are better suited for RVs and deep discharges. I have switched all my interior light bulbs to LEDs to reduce power consumption. The heater fan is what consumes most power.

I am very happy I made the switch.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you stay in full hook ups most always it is not worth it.

If you boondock even a little you will find it a required upgrade.

The standard dual purpose battery has about 70-80 amp hours of capacity and will last with typical usage in warm weather and minimal lighting about 2 days till dead. Anything more than that will require a generator.

If you boondock in cool weather where the furnace is used, overnight is about all you will hope to get out of a fully charged battery.

If you add an inverter to use any 120 VAC appliances on battery, two (or more) batteries will be required. These are photos of my modification to the front bay of my 5th wheel in order to create a power compartment.

Did you do that yourself or have it done professionally? Looks amazing and what is the red thing below the inverter on the wall just above the batteries (looks like a switch of some sort)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
It all depends of what you need. If you will be doing some dry-camping (no electricity) or boon-docking (in the boonies with nothing at all), then a 2nd battery would help.

It's all to do with Amp-Hours.

A typical 12V dealer installed battery will give you 75 AH. (marine deep cycle type), so 2 of the same would give you 150 AH for example, enough to run a 5A motor for 30 hours. (150 / 5 = 30). One such battery would give you 15 hours only.

I have elected to go with 2 - 6V Golf Cart batteries - wired in series to give me 12V, from Costco ($80 each) and that provides for 220 AH. These batteries - according to many - are better suited for RVs and deep discharges. I have switched all my interior light bulbs to LEDs to reduce power consumption. The heater fan is what consumes most power.

I am very happy I made the switch.

I like the LED thoughts, where did you get the bulbs? same original housing or did you have to change the whole fixture? Mine has some LEDs but I would love to have more inside as they are brighter and draw less power. I bought two more LED TV's for my rig and they all work wonderful without pulling a lot of power
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I did that "mod" myself 7 days after taking delivery. Except for this year, we typically "boondock" about half the time. Last year we boondocked over 30 days.

The red thing is a Marine dual battery switch. That allows me to switch out a dead battery if it should ever fail due to plate damage. That is why I will always be using 12 volt batteries. Batteries can fail suddenly if a plate cracks due to impact (like a chuck hole in the road) and it shorts out internally. If this happens with a 6 volt battery you are done with no recovery. With 2 12 volt batteries, a bad one can be switched out and you can "keep on camping" with reduced capacity until you can have a new one (or two) shipped in.

If you have any other questions about the mod let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue%20Seas%20PN%206007200.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	16325  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
I like the LED thoughts, where did you get the bulbs? same original housing or did you have to change the whole fixture? Mine has some LEDs but I would love to have more inside as they are brighter and draw less power. I bought two more LED TV's for my rig and they all work wonderful without pulling a lot of power
MANY threads here on LED replacements.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ults-9233.html
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #10

Thanks again The DW is sooooooo not gonna be happy when I get done with my shopping trip
Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #11

As I read more of HERKS's postings I find that we think very much alike. Totally agree with the wheel bearing issues as more is better, also keeps the HUB cavity from condensating and rusting when filled with grease. As for the dual batteries I just applied a similar mod to the toyhauler. Didn't trust the dependancy on one battery that has to run the electrics as well as start the generator. So I installed a marine battery switch and added a second battery (a group 27 deep Cycle). Its wired to the hauler while the other can supplement it as well as start the generator. for inovative thinking and/or using ideas from the boating world. Keep the great ideas coming...
RONXS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
Like Herk7769 mentions there are many discussions on LED lighting. I got mine from a vendor on eBay (in China) and am very happy. I only got the bulbs and kept my fixtures.

I have an LCD TV but never watch TV when dry camping or boondocking. I guess I could with an inverter... but TV is not my cup-o-tea when camping.

Tags
battery