Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Sierra 371rebh GFCI kitchen outlet

I have power to the outlet with GFCI near the refridgerator and stove. The other three kitchen outlets on GFCI protected circuits do not have power. Where is the GFCI reset for these three outlets? I have cycled the breaker and reset both the two GFCI outlets I have found (by stove and in bathroom). Anyone else have this problem?
Scooterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

Anyone know where I can get an electrical wiring schematic for the Sierra 371rebh? I may be spending the day with a multimeter and small lamp to make my own wiring schematic.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

I would unplug from shore power, pull the outlets and take the wires out of the push in slots and connect to the screw connections. The push in connections that FR uses are pretty spastic from a reliability standpoint.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Check ALL Outlets for (Power) BEFORE you try to rewire!! Some (Units) have (Inverters) installed,so Unpluging (Shore Power) will NOT make it (SAFE) to work on your Elect.!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Check ALL Outlets for (Power) BEFORE you try to rewire!! Some (Units) have (Inverters) installed,so Unpluging (Shore Power) will NOT make it (SAFE) to work on your Elect.!! Youroo!!
What if the outlet that is dead was wired to the inverter?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Check all outlets from the inverter,and Kill the Power to the Inverter! Just trying to keep Members from (Electrocuting Themselves)!! Just (Unplug from Shorepower) is Very Bad Info. on the Units! Lots have Inverters installed now! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #7

thank you OldCoot and youroo. I am not a fan of electrical bites and doing the 60hz shuffle. I put a multimeter to every wire I'm going to touch, then do it again for good measure. Good call on the inverter. Opening the main breaker should keep things safe.
Three outlets on one circuit with bad wiring would be odd, although it is something I will look into.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterb View Post
I have power to the outlet with GFCI near the refridgerator and stove. The other three kitchen outlets on GFCI protected circuits do not have power. Where is the GFCI reset for these three outlets? I have cycled the breaker and reset both the two GFCI outlets I have found (by stove and in bathroom). Anyone else have this problem?
I would look for all the GFCI's and reset them, not just the 2 you found that may be close by.

Look by the back end of the trailer for a GFCI, if there is one back there, this could be the culprit. My sister-in-law's trailer has a GFCI under the window at the back of the trailer that works for a pluggin in the kitchen area at the middle of the trailer.

Just a thought, but hope it helps before you go nuts..........

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterb View Post
I had the same thing happen in my Sierra in the kitchen. Found out from my dealer the one in the bathroom is connected to some in the kitchen. Don't know why but I reset it and all was working again.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #10

Ks looking for Easter eggs and I am looking for a GFCI outlet. I definitely have a GFCI trip on the 3 kitchen outlets. Mea surfing 4.08VAC on those three with the GFCI breaker shut and 0.1VAC with the breaker open. I have looked high and low and still only find two outlets with resets, and have reset both. Going to have to call the FR folks on Monday. An electrical schematic would be wonderful about now. Thank yoy everyone For the advise.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #11

Our GFCI is in the bathroom mounted in front of the sink. It powers all the others in our Flagstaff 27 RLWS. It failed and none of the others would work, but it would. It took me a while to find it. It has since been replaced.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Check in the basement also!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #13

Does your unit have a slide? My 2014 182G R-Pod had a small leak from the factory under the sink in the slide. It eventually shorted out a junction connection right under the sink baseboard and killed three outlets! I checked the GFI and even replaced it before I took it to the dealer and they traced the circuit back to the bad junction!
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #14

beech jet and glfillion, I am going to replace both gfci outlets and see if that fixes the problem. I have power to both gfci outlets. Go from there. Great advise. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #15

Update: I pulled both GFCI outlets.
Kitchen receptacle is GFCI, although only with line-in and no out-load wiring to other outlets. This is one is not the problem.
Bathroom receptacle is GFCI. It has both line-in and out-load wiring to other outlets. I checked the voltage on the line and load terminals, with and without the test trip set. The GFCI showed 120V to both line and load with trip reset, and 0V when tripped. This in not the problem either.
Breaker box has a trip switch for GFCI. 120V reading with the breaker shut and not in the trip free position.
Bottom line, every outlet has power except the three GFCI protected receptacles in the kitchen. There has got to be another GFCI outlet in this RV or I have a wiring issue that hasn't grounded yet. I'm concerned if the 2nd is true.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you look in the basement?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #17

with the kitchen loads being the ones missing power I would suspect that the load wire thats supposed to hook to the kitchen GFI is missing. Has the kitchens recpts ever worked? are they withing 6 feet of wet location where you know they are supposed to be gfi protected?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #18

I found two outlets external to the RV. One near the speakers with retractable weather covers and the other in the basement. Both had power and neither was a GFCI reset receptacle.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

Crockett, I bought this RV last week from the original owner that had it for 6 months. I overlooked checking all the outlets for power and took their word that there were no problems. Perhaps those outlets never worked, although they are required to be GFCI protected as they are all within a few feet of the kitchen sink. The GFCI labels are on those receptacles as well. I suppose what is bothering me the most is the unknown of this RV's wiring. I don't know if I'm missing a reclusive GFCI outlet, or if the problem is internal wiring. I do know the only GFCI outlet (in bathroom) with a load wire to other protected receptacles shows 120V.
I get that feeling that deep in the walls of this RV, there are two wires with caps on the ends that deserve to be connected, and aren't...
I plan on pulling the three kitchen outlets tonight and opening them up to check the wiring and contacts are good. Would love to see "hot" wires upon opening them up.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #20

maybe just pull the kitchen GFI and fish around a little for possibly the missing load wire...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sierra, electrical