Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Sierra 5th Wheel - craftsmanship is BAD

I hope this message finds its way to Forest River Corporate head quarters. Two or three months ago I ordered a new 2013 Sierra 5th Wheel with 4 Slides and an outside kitchenette. We received it right before Memorial Weekend and used it right away. I have to say, I have bought new before and I anticipated problems, but boy, does this one have problems.

Let me back up a few years. My mom had purchased a 1978 Winnebago Motor home that our family used for many many years. Quality was great, even after 30 years!! We sold it in 2006 to purchase something bigger. What we bought was a brand new Jayco Eagle 5th wheel and it came with a 2 year warranty. Of the 6 years we owned it, we really only had one issue with it and they fixed with no issues. It was the water heater. Again the quality was still good and when we sold it, I was told it still looked like brand new! The reason we sold that and was looking for something different, was because it didn't have any storage underneath. We used it all the time and it got old moving stuff around.

We really liked the floor plan of the Sierra or Sandpiper and it had storage we were looking for. We purchased it and used it memorial weekend to find A LOT of issues. I have to say Forest River must not care about the craftsmanship of their products they put out. The interior looks like crap. I took it back to dealer I bought it from and showed them the many many many issues. They said I was not the first to complain about the craftsmanship of their campers. A LOT of exposed bare wood, handles on doors that you could see all the way through. Doors on cabinet the couldn't even close properly, the camper actually damages itself when trailering because doors and drawers don't stay shut. Scratches and deep scraps on the wood. I could go on and on but I won't. I would be very embarrassed putting out a product like that. The coach was in know way cheap!! I would expect more for what I paid for. Actually, I would expect more for a lot less then what I even paid for it!

To top all of that off, the dealer didn't know if most of it was covered under the warranty. I said I wasn't going to pay anymore and I would share with everyone that is how Forrest River puts out their products. I am very disappointed in my camper and I wish I would have never bought it!

Buyer Beware! Denise
Denisem13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

I have to agree with you on the quality or lack there of with Forest River products. I recently traded in my Jayko TT for a Flagstaff TT. I was looking for more room and an outside kitchen that was 1/2 ton towable. I first looked at Jayko products because of the good luck I had with my previous unit. I owned it 4 years with ZERO issues. However, I couldn't find the floor plan that I wanted that fell within the weight range I was shooting for. In the end I chose the Flagstaff because it had everything I wanted. I now understand why the Jayko weighed more with less options. They are built much better. With quality comes weight. In the end I only blame my self for not being better educated about the difference in quality from one manufacture to the next. I enjoy my Flagstaff as it gives us the extra room that we need. I'll deal with the issues as they arise, which seems to be on every trip. If I had to do it over I would have upgraded my TV and stayed with the Jayko line. As it turns out I'm towing at my limit when fully loaded and now looking for a new TV.
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Site Team

just so you know, FRF is not connected, in any way, to Forest River Inc.
we do have some of their reps that post here, but not all brands have reps as members here.

you need to work with your dealer in either trading for another, sending it back to the factory, or refunding your money.
they bear partial responsibility in not doing a proper PDI before you picked it up.
that's what a dealer PDI is supposed to do. fix issues that weren't caught at the factory.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

I will have to play devils advocate here, as I also have a new Sierra, mine is a 365SAQ which by your description is what it sounds like that you have, but I beg to differ, yes every unit has issues, I have had a couple so far as well, but none relate to anything you describe. My converter went out, which the dealer couldn't help to fix for several weeks, but I called FR directly and they brought me right in to their plant repair facility the next morning (I was passing through Indiana). They had it for 4 hours or so, and repaired EVERYTHING, then went on to give us a better PDI than the dealer ever could. Most of the things you describe are cosmetic, and if they were that way, why did you take delivery in that condition?? I love my Sierra, and after FR stood behind their product and helped my family to get it fixed real quick, I believe they do take pride in their work but anything that passes through 200 plus people's hands while being built is bound to have some issues. I'm not sure why you joined the forum just to say that, and all dealers are like that. And why did you not state your model number but rather put a description of the unit? Not implying anything but just seemed strange and different.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by beausdog View Post
i will have to play devils advocate here, as i also have a new sierra, mine is a 365saq which by your description is what it sounds like that you have, but i beg to differ, yes every unit has issues, i have had a couple so far as well, but none relate to anything you describe. My converter went out, which the dealer couldn't help to fix for several weeks, but i called fr directly and they brought me right in to their plant repair facility the next morning (i was passing through indiana). They had it for 4 hours or so, and repaired everything, then went on to give us a better pdi than the dealer ever could. Most of the things you describe are cosmetic, and if they were that way, why did you take delivery in that condition?? I love my sierra, and after fr stood behind their product and helped my family to get it fixed real quick, i believe they do take pride in their work but anything that passes through 200 plus people's hands while being built is bound to have some issues. I'm not sure why you joined the forum just to say that, and all dealers are like that. And why did you not state your model number but rather put a description of the unit? Not implying anything but just seemed strange and different.
bingo!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969
Content deleted by user request. MFR blamed inappropriately
By all means, i agree, it sucks if you get a lemon of anything, and im not lambasting her in any way for venting, but with that said, don't put it all on the dealer and FR. If everything she said is true it should have been caught by a good dealer, but i do believe in self ownership as well. Last time i checked her name and signature would be on the PDI as well saying the dealer did their job. And i honestly believe their is a difference between cosmetic and mechanical issues as well. Everything she listed appeared to be cosmetic and didnt see the "hidden" mechanical losted as any problems thus if all is true, FR didnt quality check, dealer didnt PDI right bit the new owner obviously didnt inspect their new investment. As i said, i understand if there are mechanical issues that creep up or issues like floor bubbling appear, but in no way can i see a gaping hole in a door handle not noticed by anyone along the line....
Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Oh ya forgot the number part, the FR number is right on the back of the owners manual, i called it about my converter, they connected me to the liason for sierra service who called me back in 5 minutes with the service manager and had me in their shop the next morning. Its only my .02 but that one number seemed to get me whatever i needed. Please dont take it bad as im being mean or rude, just putting my thoughts in, take it or leave it
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
... but i do believe in self ownership as well. Last time i checked her name and signature would be on the PDI as well saying the dealer did their job. And i honestly believe there is a difference between cosmetic and mechanical issues as well. Everything she listed appeared to be cosmetic and didnt see the "hidden" mechanical losted as any problems thus if all is true, FR didn't quality check, dealer didn't PDI right, but the new owner obviously didn't inspect their new investment. As I said, I understand if there are mechanical issues that creep up or issues like floor bubbling appear, but in no way can I see a gaping hole in a door handle not noticed by anyone along the line....
I have to agree with Beausdog, the OP must take responsibility for the cosmetic issues not being addressed during the PDI. Otherwise, why waste the time? You sure wouldn't buy a new car with a dent in it or a big scratch on it without bringing it to the attention of the dealer BEFORE you drove it off the lot.

On ours, what minor things were missed on the PDI, I fixed myself and have to accept that it was MY fault for not catching it during the PDI.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I have to agree with Beausdog, the OP must take responsibility for the cosmetic issues not being addressed during the PDI. Otherwise, why waste the time? You sure wouldn't buy a new car with a dent in it or a big scratch on it without bringing it to the attention of the dealer BEFORE you drove it off the lot.

On ours, what minor things were missed on the PDI, I fixed myself and have to accept that it was MY fault for not catching it during the PDI.
Same here on doing some of the repairs/adjustments myself rather than take it back. Our dealer probably didn't do a great job with the PDI but then again maybe I didn't either.
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I see this thread (and others like it) as an example of the dynamics involved with an RV purchase. Three parties (Factory, Dealer, and Owner) all have to contribute and one or two of these parties might have to make up for the faults of the third. Or, not depending on the situation.

To the OP: Denise, I feel for you and wish you the best.

Mechanical issues should be taken care of by FR or your dealer.

Cosmetics - well, they should never leave the factory that way but we all know that they unfortunately do - some looking okay and others making you wonder who was supervising that day. That is when the dealer steps up to the plate and conducts their own QC fixing problems as they come along them before you even get the chance to step in the trailer.

And finally, not to sound harsh, but your greatest power was the moment just before you signed the paperwork to accept your unit in the condition that its in today. This is not a lambast as someone said (whatever that is) but I feel its necessary to stress that point, too, if we are also going to concentrate on what the factory and dealer could have done better.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
I see this thread (and others like it) as an example of the dynamics involved with an RV purchase. Three parties (Factory, Dealer, and Owner) all have to contribute and one or two of these parties might have to make up for the faults of the third. Or, not depending on the situation.

To the OP: Denise, I feel for you and wish you the best.

Mechanical issues should be taken care of by FR or your dealer.

Cosmetics - well, they should never leave the factory that way but we all know that they unfortunately do - some looking okay and others making you wonder who was supervising that day. That is when the dealer steps up to the plate and conducts their own QC fixing problems as they come along them before you even get the chance to step in the trailer.

And finally, not to sound harsh, but your greatest power was the moment just before you signed the paperwork to accept your unit in the condition that its in today. This is not a lambast as someone said (whatever that is) but I feel its necessary to stress that point, too, if we are also going to concentrate on what the factory and dealer could have done better.
Well spoken....better words for the point i was trying to make
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #12

Cosmetics are always an issue with mid class and regular tailers. If you are a good handyman you can turn your trailer to your satisfaction with very little money. For my part with my Minilite there was a lot to improve because I only ask for the perfect all the time which is not feasible on a trailer of this price. I installed some O.E. mouldings from Forest Rivers where the finish was not to my satisfaction. Also I replaced all the valances with some pine boxed covered with the same tissue ordered from the factory again. The list continue but now I can say that the trailer is up to my standard. Some pictures are included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05977.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	16287   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05978.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	16288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06803.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	16289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06017.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	16290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06770.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	16291  

capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #13

I digress. I failed to adequately read the OP. I still, however, believe that the OP has as much right to voice her feelings here as the rest of us. After re-reading the OP, I agree that cosmetic issues should have been addressed before leaving the dealership. My issues weren't cosmetic. I'm actually quite pleased with the overall fit and finish of my trailer. I've only had minor issues with cosmetic stuff that I easily addressed myself rather than waste diesel fuel taking it back. We should remember, though, that not everyone is handy like that. Also, on a PDI, there are so many things that you are going over and trying to learn about that it would be awfully easy to miss a few cosmetic details. If her cosmetic issues are due to poor construction of cabinet closures and so forth, then the dealer ought to take care of it, whether they are legally required to or not. That would be called customer relations. Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I have a soft spot now for folks who feel like they didn't get the quality they should have.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969
I digress. I failed to adequately read the OP. I still, however, believe that the OP has as much right to voice her feelings here as the rest of us. After re-reading the OP, I agree that cosmetic issues should have been addressed before leaving the dealership. My issues weren't cosmetic. I'm actually quite pleased with the overall fit and finish of my trailer. I've only had minor issues with cosmetic stuff that I easily addressed myself rather than waste diesel fuel taking it back. We should remember, though, that not everyone is handy like that. Also, on a PDI, there are so many things that you are going over and trying to learn about that it would be awfully easy to miss a few cosmetic details. If her cosmetic issues are due to poor construction of cabinet closures and so forth, then the dealer ought to take care of it, whether they are legally required to or not. That would be called customer relations. Sorry to ruffle feathers, but I have a soft spot now for folks who feel like they didn't get the quality they should have.
I would agree, in essence she does have the right to voice her feelings....i was basically pointing out that they are not only to blame, as well as it just seemed odd in the way it was written. Not saying it is so, but it appeared in my opinion that denise is not a sierra owner or probably even a forest river owner but rather what i like to refer to as a "leech" poster. Maybe a terminated FR employee? I dont know. But, by the way it was written it seemed like someone had an axe to grind with FR and is just bashing them. By her units vague description (what owner doesn't know their model number?) And why would that be their only post after joining the forum? Not saying it is that, just my opinion. Some other reasons make me think its fake as well, in addition to the fact that she posted and has not come back to talk about it with the replies.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisem13065
I hope this message finds its way to Forest River Corporate head quarters. Two or three months ago I ordered a new 2013 Sierra 5th Wheel with 4 Slides and an outside kitchenette. We received it right before Memorial Weekend and used it right away. I have to say, I have bought new before and I anticipated problems, but boy, does this one have problems.
Another reason above due to math.....

Memorial day is in may. If she ordered 2-3 months prior to her posting date, there is NO way she got that trailer before memorial day.

6-8 weeks for delivery means it would be ordered mid march....about 5 months earlier than her post and then post about delivery issues 2 months after picking it up??? Just saying.....it smells rotten
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
I would agree, in essence she does have the right to voice her feelings....i was basically pointing out that they are not only to blame, as well as it just seemed odd in the way it was written. Not saying it is so, but it appeared in my opinion that denise is not a sierra owner or probably even a forest river owner but rather what i like to refer to as a "leech" poster. Maybe a terminated FR employee? I dont know. But, by the way it was written it seemed like someone had an axe to grind with FR and is just bashing them. By her units vague description (what owner doesn't know their model number?) And why would that be their only post after joining the forum? Not saying it is that, just my opinion. Some other reasons make me think its fake as well, in addition to the fact that she posted and has not come back to talk about it with the replies.
You may be right. She has been conspicuously absent since the first post.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Another reason above due to math.....

Memorial day is in may. If she ordered 2-3 months prior to her posting date, there is NO way she got that trailer before memorial day.

6-8 weeks for delivery means it would be ordered mid march....about 5 months earlier than her post and then post about delivery issues 2 months after picking it up??? Just saying.....it smells rotten
Sniff....sniff.....woof...woof....Bodog is on the right trail...!!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #18

Denise,

Like Beausdog said, my wife and I also have a 2012 Sierra 365SAQ. I had a 2006 Montana before that that we simply outgrew. I paid just at 40K for my new unit, so I understand your complaint about not buying cheap (though, I feel I paid less then what I would have for other brands).

My dealer is great on sales, and great on smiles, service time is only so-so, and quality of work done is better then FR, but sometimes does require a go back.

We picked our unit up last August. We used it a couple times and then I made a list of everything wrong (including some nicks in the wood – I too spent 40K, so yes, I want trim fixed…. It’s 40K). The dealer was great to me. I took them a list of 28 items. I would say 85% of those were adjustment items, doors not closing, being able to stick my pinky out the hinge side of the exit window above the couch, the drawer under the couch sliding out each time we move the camper, etc, etc. Even some of the slap hinges outside weren’t lining up and therefore not secure. I worked with the dealer right off the bat, telling them I planned on using the unit as is, as I want to get use out of it, and they could have it after the winter (I like to store inside for snow and such) I took my unit to them at the beginning of April and gave them a hard date of May 1st. They worked quickly on all issues, and I took them around to show them exactly what I meant on my complaint list. I also went around with the tech when I picked it up to make sure I was happy with the work they completed... again, it's 40K (and I know they make commission, and no matter what tehy say, they make warranty $$ from FR, so....)

They also said the same things everyone else’s dealers are saying, not the first time for complaints, FR warranty work hard to get passed, though they said they take pictures of everything and they covered everything, I paid not a penny, and lost no camping season time. They replaced woodwork, and even upgraded some of forest rivers’ construction.

I did have to take it back, they had a couple parts on order, but when the parts came in, I took it on my way to work, picked it up on my way home.

Since we are getting to the middle of summer, is your unit usable, and you can do a similar thing as we did? I’m not trying to excuse the issues. I’d just like to see a fellow member get some use from their camper.

My boss bought a Surveyor (made by FR) last August when we bought our Sierra. They have had no issues at all, not one thing to take back to the dealer. I have heard the 365SAQ is the number 1 selling fifth wheel in the US for the 3rd year now. Not sure if that is true or not, but possibly Forest River is in over their head, and their quality is lacking.

In the end, we love our unit, the dealer made it right with no strong arming, and we wouldn’t have changed it, there is no unit out there with this layout, length, or storage, even near this price.

I hope in the end you are satisfied, though I know exactly what you are saying when you say currently, you are not.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #19

I had a 2007 Sierra and got rid of it in June of 2011. I know the hyways and byways are pretty rough but the dang thing was falling apart. Shelves and drawers falling apart, pocket door falling down and some problem with the roof that I was scared to take the rubber off for what I would find. Before anyone says it, I take very good care of my toys and stay on top of the P.M.
Got rid of it and swore off Forest River products.
Then I did what I said I wouldn't do, bought a Prime Time Crusader by Forest River. It was a pain at first with quility and construction things but PT and the dealer came though and fixed everything under warranty. It's been a year now and we just took a 5000 ml month long trip and all is good.
Just don't have good things to say about the Sierra line. For the money it sure didn't last.
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsky
I had a 2007 Sierra and got rid of it in June of 2011. I know the hyways and byways are pretty rough but the dang thing was falling apart. Shelves and drawers falling apart, pocket door falling down and some problem with the roof that I was scared to take the rubber off for what I would find. Got rid of it and swore off Forest River products.
Then I did what I said I wouldn't do, bought a Prime Time Crusader by Forest River. It was a pain at first with quility and construction things but PT and the dealer came though and fixed everything under warranty. It's been a year now and we just took a 5000 ml month long trip and all is good.
Just don't have good things to say about the Sierra line. For the money it sure didn't last.
Im not sure of the old line....and they all have problems, but sierra line has stepped it up as i think alot did in 2008 when the economy took a tank and the industry suffered. Pre 2008 i believe alot were not well made but post 2008 i think those still in the game had to bring quality up quite a bit as they would not sell if they were junk like before. Those that didnt suffered the consequences and went under. I also believe most purchasers in the current market are previous owners and not first timers. As such, more of the new buyers know what they are looking for and the common issues, thus making manufacturers solve them. As i said they all have issues but FR across the board stepped up their game. But those lines for entry level rigs are just horrible regardless of manufacturer. Cheap price and cheaply made.

Tags
5th wheel