Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have u checked converter output to battery?

Co detector 1 amp.
Lights 1 amp per fixture.
L.p. detector 1 amp.

So your looking for a 8.7 amp draw.
Give or take lights and other miniscule draws
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #22

-Went and took the new converter to them yesterday, asked how they determined that the old one was bad-they said it had a "dead short" in IT.
They installed the new one and found right at 2amp draw-I asked why so high-they pulled the fuse from the LP detector (in kitchen) and the draw went down to .7amp so with less than 1 amp I was satisfied, they checked and showed me that the unit was charging when the shore power was plugged in and once again charging when the truck was running and hooked up to the trailer.
All is well now, just going out to wash the BIG thing (35.9 coupler to rear bumper)- got some other small odds n ends to do efore departure next Friday for our very first camping trip-we are so exceited!!-going to Lake Placid, Florida for the Calaydium Festival!!-anyone going? see ya there!!

One more question: IF I hook(ed) up an external 8amp battery charger to the batteries would THAT possibly have damaged/destroyed the converter in the unit?
Sierra323fk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra323fk View Post
One more question: IF I hook(ed) up an external 8amp battery charger to the batteries would THAT possibly have damaged/destroyed the converter in the unit?
If hooked up backwards it would have caused problems, but I think not if the correct polarity was maintained. I always use my battery cut off switch when I use my charger off the generator to charge my batteries when boondocking to avoid any chance a problem with my charger will cause damage to the coach in any way.

Solar chargers are always connected "hot" for example.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #24

OP: When you said the dealer charged 4x what the charger was, did that include all the labor of troubleshooting that you mentioned?
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #25

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
OP: When you said the dealer charged 4x what the charger was, did that include all the labor of troubleshooting that you mentioned?
NO, I was strictly speaking of the cost of the converter.
The Forest River folks say this happens all the time, espessely with the bad economy and the smaller dealers-they see an opportunity to grab some fast cash and knowing that its a warranty claim they feel that they are not hurting the customer.
Bottom line the OWNER of the small dealership copped a bad attitude when I told him the F/R wanted to send me a converter after I had asked him to order one-not waiting for me to respond and tell him that I would be responsible for any restock charges...
Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #26

That type of practice is despicable. It is what inspired me to learn to do my own work on cars and on my trailer.
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #27

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
That type of practice is despicable. It is what inspired me to learn to do my own work on cars and on my trailer.
I hear ya! I DID make a mistake in telling the crooks to order the converter before I checked with F/R and on Ebay for pricing...and when I called the crooks and told them a little white lie in that F/R was sending me a new unit THE OWNER basicly went off on me telling me that he'd been stiffed one too many times on special ordered parts and was done being Mr.Niceguy....he was really rude and somewhat disrespecful on the phone,(Plus they wanted to install a SMALLER amp converter than the one F/R installed at the factory (F/R installed a 65amp unit with the unique 30 amp plug) and these guys for reasons unknown wanted to install a 60amp with a standard 110 volt plug and either replace the plug in my trailer OR use some sort of adaptor!! MY trailer is BRAND NEW $33k piece of equipment, and NOT some 20 year old unit that we were trying to make something work on......lesson learned, now 2 local dealers-(1 BIG, 1 small) are now out of the picture for future business!