Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Took the plunge - bought a Sierra 380BH5

Hi All,

My wife and I just bought the Sierra 380BH5. Love the floor plan. We added a 2nd air and a generator. Any owners have this or other models and have advice for things to watch out for when we pick it up? Didn't add the thoughts on the autolevel? Didn't do it but think we might later on. Seems like leveling shouldn't de that hard generally. Thoughts?

Also we will be towing with a Ram 3500 Megacab with a SRW. I have the Ram hitch. Wonder if a slider hitch is necessary. The front cap is contoured so should have a pretty good turn radius. Any thoughts?

Chfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud
Congrats on your 380!!!
I love that floor plan, i almost got it instead of my Sabre 36bok, but with a teenage daughter i thought i needed the 2nd bath. Still i kinda think I might have liked the 380 a little more.

I dont know about the auto level system. Me personally I'd rather not spend the money, plus all the hydraulic lines and valves to have problems with, made it an easy decision for me to pass on the auto leveling system.

Can't tell you on the mega cab bed with 5er. I know that dodges seem to need a slider more than others (in my opinion, from what I've seen). They seem to have the axles further forward in reference with the center of the box. But I'm an advocate of not turning sharp cause it's so hard on the trailers suspension, but a slider might be needed with that short of a bed. If you get a b &w hitch that goes in the "turn over" gooseneck hole in the bed, you may be able to position it far enough back to work though.
Good luck and happy camping!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
2nd bathroom would have been nice I have 3 teenage girls... Have one bathroom on our TT and wanted the extra room into the bunkhouse.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
Congrats on your Sierra 380BH5.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
We just bought our 380 in January and i pull it with a short bed 2008 chevy and can turn roughly 80deg before i worry about it using a bw hitch. We also got the 2nd air and i went with two yamaha ef2000is generators. As far as picking it up, have the slides out, go up on the roof look at all the roofing to make sure everything is sealed and no little tears and everything is sealed. Have them go thru every system with you, especially the climate control thermostat. I noticed turning on the furnace also turned on the ac fans for air circulation unless set to auto, which to me is just an extra power draw and unwanted noise. Make sure it has a new fully charged battery, they show you the hose included for bumper mount grill so you know where it is. Main thing is to start at the front and work to the back inside and out, and ask everything you can think of. When i did my walk thru, it was almost two hours, never would've thought i would've taken that long

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
We don't have that camper but do pull a 2011 Sierra. I have always pulled will a long bed truck. But after a wreck in TX last winter had to get a new truck, I have a 2014 mega cab so of course short bed I use Pullrite ISR Series SuperGlide 18K #2900. I found afterwards the king pin box may have been long enough to clear the back of the truck.
But I will say this The first time that you did hit the back of the cab you will be saying bad words to yourself. Things to know about sliders auto or manual. 1 They have to be lubed each day when you are pulling. 2 They need to be covered rust is very bad for them. 3 They are very heavy mine is 224lbs so I put a hoist in my garage to take it out easier. With all that I'm still glad I went with the auto slider.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Super slide for 5th wheel

Comment was correct about lube everyday, and they are heavy, and they will rust BUT, they are awesome. You will not get the trailer into your truck cab. It pulls great. Love it. Have had it 5 years w/ two 5th wheels. Currently have a 355 Serra 40ft. It works great.
arobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
My wife and I have been looking at this camper for a few months We currently have a Lacrosse 318 and have 3 children that we always end with friends coming camping with us. So I am thinking this camper would really work with all of our need. What I really like are the 4 recliners, you loose so much with the dinette setup and we never use the table. Congrats on the new trailer, hoping to be able to be in one just like it soon.

2013 Chevy 2500, 6.6 Duramax
2013 Lacrosse 318
Gulfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #9

I'll let you know how it works out and what we like and don't like.

Ironically we had a 318 also.. We liked it but the space wasn't too functional.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
We have a 2015 Sierra 380bh5 and the air condition doesn't cool properly. The duct work is not intact. We have taken it to the dealer and the dealer can't get authorization from forest river. We have been talking with Forest river and they have been extremely aggressive with us about the issue. Once the temperature reaches 85 degrees outside, it doesn't cool below 80 inside. We used a borescope to take pictures of the duct work and have sent them to the dealer and forest river and they still haven't seemed to care.

JYM654 is offline   Reply With Quote