Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #81
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Ever tried to pour water thru high density Styrofoam?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Ever tried to pour water thru high density Styrofoam?
Roof has bat and foil insulation.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #83
Left Coast

Then how come we get styrofoam out of A/C ducts
Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #84

My A/C ducts are made from what appears as cheap ductboard. Only Styrofoam I've seen is inside the A/C separating the intake and out take air supplies and in my sidewalls. The A/ C duct does run almost all the way to the front wall though. Still cannot see how water would run down the ductwork and into the nose cone as the duct does not penetrate through the front wall into the cap.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #85
Left Coast

Think tunnel for A/C air to flow....top side , under and next to roof skin will be solid, Don't know how it's terminated at front edge inside cap
Old 01-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
My A/C ducts are made from what appears as cheap ductboard. Only Styrofoam I've seen is inside the A/C separating the intake and out take air supplies and in my sidewalls. The A/ C duct does run almost all the way to the front wall though. Still cannot see how water would run down the ductwork and into the nose cone as the duct does not penetrate through the front wall into the cap.
There is a layer of Styrofoam that the duct channels are bored through. (at least in my unit) it runs from the front to the back the whole unit is about 4 or 5" thick water will not penetrate Styrofoam. I do not have any batt insulation. There is a then layer of silver bubble insulation that lays on top under the roof sheathing. So you have rubber roof wood sheathing silver insulation then the Styrofoam and last your ceiling board. It would not have to drip on your ceiling. If the OP has done what he has said already It COULD be running between the sheathing on top of the styrofoam. Things that have been sealed.
1) ester bound and lap sealed the top edge.
2) removed and resealed all the penetrations in the area, maker lights and scare lights
The water has to be coming in from above that area on the roof. I think we are all guessing giving him ideas. It must be a frustrating thing to deal with. I think the best way is to remove the pan take a hose to every area and look up and see where or what spot it's coming in at. Or dry it out do one area at a time and check before you move on that it is still dry. I sill get styrofoam blowing out of my registers and dropping into my ceiling lights after 4 years of use. Just as Bob Caldwell mentioned. I know nothing of cheap ductboard ducting, but your unit could be different....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #87

Quote:
Dakota, my roof edges have also "popped" up. My dealer said it is the plastic edging and will hurt anything. They also tried to get FR to correct the issue but they would not.

Love my fiver and overall very pleased except with the water issues we're having. I'm too the point of drilling small drain holes under the cap and be done with it.

No one else has my layout so I have to keep my unit. In 3-5 years we trading to a DP or Super C and someone can deal with the water then.
I got my dealer involved this week and they finally got the factory to repair the problem with the roof edges coming loose. I am taking it in on Monday for the repairs. Keep working with your dealer. They should help you to get this fixed.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #88

Three weeks, lots of rain and no water in front cap. My final repair has seemed to work. Wooohooo.

If you look at the top of my cap you can see the new caulk. This area was separating and there was an 1/8" gap. I cleaned the old caulk off and used Flex Seal caulk from CW. I also used Etrnabomd along the top where the cap meets the EPDM months ago.

Something everyone may want to check. Climb up on your roof and look at the sides of your cap and make sure the seal is good. If not refer my above fix.

Hope this helps you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452995111264.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	97911   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452995131916.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	97912  
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #89

Anyone still getting water in their nose cone. My dealer called me and told me that mine was ready for pickup. I really hope that they fixed it this time.
PSEYFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #90

So far, so good.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #91

I guess I spoke too soon. They just called me because they are trying to get authorization to lift my rubber roof to fix the the aluminium flashing that is along the top edge of the walls.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSEYFRIED View Post
I guess I spoke too soon. They just called me because they are trying to get authorization to lift my rubber roof to fix the the aluminium flashing that is along the top edge of the walls.
Good luck with that. I have the same issue and apparently a lot of people do. FR denied the warranty repair saying its just cosmetic and does not affect the performance of the fiver.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #93

I hear ya. I noted the issue a month after I took delivery and I told the dealer that I heard it popping and now they are going to photo it and resubmit it to FR.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSEYFRIED View Post
The same thing happened to my roof and I was able to get my dealer to contact FR and they finally agreed to pay to have the dealer repair the problem. The roof looks great now but I still have water leaking into my front cap. FR refuses to do anything about the water leaking problem but I think that they should. I wished that I was rich enough to afford a lawyer because I would take FR to court on this problem. There are too many of us having this leaking problem for this not to be something that the factory screwed up. But I will just have to keep looking until I find and fix the leak problem.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #95

Well if mine leaks after this time it is going back to the factory
Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #96

Has anyone had any luck fixing the leaks on the front cap. I am still chasing my leaks down and I have not found the problem yet. Guess that I will keep looking.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 02-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
Has anyone had any luck fixing the leaks on the front cap. I am still chasing my leaks down and I have not found the problem yet. Guess that I will keep looking.
See my response about 7 posts back. Bone dry since I repaired the seams
Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #98

Quote:
Mine is still dry. I posted the fix, I believe, but they pulled the sealer, said they didn't like the way the rubber roof was folded in, fixed that, then resealed it side to side.

We found one last little leak, the side marker light at eye level was filling up and letting water run in past the bulb. Both lights were sealed up, so far it's been bone dry.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #99

Unhappy

Quote:
See my response about 7 posts back. Bone dry since I repaired the seams
I completed the repair to the seam just as you showed and I am still getting water in the Nose. Guess that I will keep looking.

Freddie & Linda
TMPS for Camper & TV
Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #100

Quote:
I completed the repair to the seam just as you showed and I am still getting water in the Nose. Guess that I will keep looking.
Well darn, that sucks. Have you checked the clearance lights near the top of the cap? I would also closely inspect the entire cap for any cracks.

I wish you the best of luck my friend. Sorry can't be of more help.

Tags
5th wheel, water, wheel