Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Water in 5th wheel nose cone

Hello. We have a 2015 Sierra 376BHOK and we got it last November. I have been back to the dealer several times with a reoccurring issue. I am finding that the bottom of the nose cone of the 5th wheel is being filled with water after a heavy rain. The dealership has had it 3 times and each time they are convinced that they fixed it. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it ? Thanks
PSEYFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

This is one of the issues my 360PDEK is currently in the shop for. I put Eternabond across the seam on the roof where the cap meets the epdm membrane. Did not seem to help much. Still waiting on the dealer to see if they found the issue. Ill report back when I get the fiver back.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #3

How did you guys notice water in the cone?

Did anything get wet in the camper?
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #4

The nose of mine is full of water too, I've been complaining about it for over a year now and my dealer wants me to bring it back to let them see it. So if my yard hardens up enough for me to move it Saturday then it's going back again. It spent five of it's first 13 months of my ownership at the dealer with the leaking front cap as one of the items, plus there's other items that were "Unable to duplicate" from the warranty period.

But that stuff is trivial. I'm worried about structural rot and mold with that roof/front cap leaking. I'm wondering if the leak is actually the AC unit allowing it to run forward to the cap. They claimed that they resealed it, but I didn't see any fresh sealer when I was up there after I picked it up.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali15 View Post
How did you guys notice water in the cone?

Did anything get wet in the camper?
When I pick it up to hitch, water comes pouring out of the LP bays and the hole where the pinbox comes out of the nose.

So far the floor has managed to stay dry. From inside I've had no evidence of a leak, but I pulled the shelves out of the closet and there's currently two inches of water in the cap. My LED wiring is corroded and the right side has quit because the wiring is sitting in water.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:12 AM   #6

Ouch. The floor near the front slide out, in between the bed and closet, got a little wet once. I was wondering if this might be related to the same problem. It only happened once in windy and heavy rain.... Will keep an eye on it.

Good luck. Seems like the best / only option would be to remove the front cap, clean everything up and reinstall it.
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #7

To Denali15. I noticed the water one day when I saw a bird building a nest in my pin box. I reached in to see if there was a nest in between the fiberglass cone and the frame and that's when I noticed the water. The last time I brought it to my dealer they said the leak was coming from the hole in the side of the camper where the wiring for the awning goes in. They sealed it up and said it was all good. I guess not. I'm getting pretty pissed that this keeps happening. I will have to check the a/c unit now. Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #8

I have a 2012 365saq a month after owning it i noticed water dripping from the screw strip where the cap meets the fiberglass. I stuck my hand in where the pin box is and sure enough water. Took it to 2 different dealers a total of five times and they just kept adding sealant to the point of where the front cap looked horrible and it still leaked every time it rained. It finally went back to the factory. They said the water was most likely getting in the screw strip and running down. It has been at the factory for the last two winters trying to get the front cap issue fixed. I finally thought it was fixed but after all the rain this weekend went to hitch it up and sure enough water was running out of the screw strip again. Forest river has done a lot to try to correct the problem but after a few 10 hour trips to Indiana I am at a loss for what to do. On a side note I have never seen any water inside the camper just always drips out by the pin box.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #9

To inspectorgf...first I commend you for taking the time to drive to Indiana not once but twice. I can't believe that forest river couldn't fix an apparent defect with these nose caps. I will be calling them today again. Did they ever check the a/C housing?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

I'm reasonably sure my water is coming from the top, the inside of the cap has water trails running down the front of it.

It this thing had an engine I'd have sought arbitration by now.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSEYFRIED View Post
To inspectorgf...first I commend you for taking the time to drive to Indiana not once but twice. I can't believe that forest river couldn't fix an apparent defect with these nose caps. I will be calling them today again. Did they ever check the a/C housing?
Forest river has been very good about trying to fix the problem. They even had lippert weld more support members on the front frame. They did have it transported back to me the first time I took it up but the driver backed it into something and bent the back bumper around( forest river took care of repairing it) so after that i decided to make the trips myself. I just noticed the water this Sunday so I checked the sealant at the cap and touched up a few spots but I don't think that is the cause of any leak. I will wait for the next rain and check again. If it is still leaking I will give them a call. I would like to just get another camper but when I dropped mine of there was a 2015 365 sitting in the repair lot so I'm afraid I'll wind up with a whole new set of problems. It sucks because we love the camper.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #12

Is your WD hookup located in the front closet? I only ask because I found water had leaked into the front cap from the HW supply line because someone drove a screw into it during assembly.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Is your WD hookup located in the front closet? I only ask because I found water had leaked into the front cap from the HW supply line because someone drove a screw into it during assembly.
The OP stated it was after heavy rain that he would find water. Mine is the same way only when it rains( even when not hooked up to water)
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #14

Mine is the same way. It will be bone dry when I am parked at my home but after a heavy rain and wind I will find it in the nose. It's really frustrating that forest river doesn't recall this issue or take the time to figure out the problem.. Does anyone have a good number to contact F.R. about this issue?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

Is anyone on this thread from NJ?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #16

I just went out and checked my cap, I can only see where water might beable to enter is at the roof line, and then I looked to see where my lights were. The two scare lights on each side are in that area, that could be a leak when it rains and not from the condensation from the A/C. I can't see how the screws will leak being it's a solid cover with caulk on both sides on the cap and the wall. Just an observation. Hope they get that figured out for you guy's it can't be good. Good Luck..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #17

Most all glass front caps are mounted to float in place. No screws should be penetrating the cap shell. This is to prevent cracking when the unit torques . This is also a real big problem when it comes to keeping a good seal around its perimeter. If you have moldings on the edge of the cap, remove them and you should see the tracking of the water leaks. You will also notice the edges of the cap are scalloped to allow for screws to hold and clamp the moldings against the cap. Do not add extra screws or you will have a badly cracked cap.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #18

Water in nose cap of fifth wheels

Has anyone checked running lights the gaskets go bad fast and water goes in behind them seal them up around light and camper, have had several of mine do that and couldn't find leak till I sealed lights. Seal everything that has a hole going thru camper, lights, speakers, awing screws, everything.
larmman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #19

I just got off the phone with Scott Hunt from F.R. I explained my situation with the leak and he told me to email Jeff Johnson ( JJohnson@forestriverinc.com) I think he is in charge of warranties and aervjce. Maybe everyone who is still having this issue should send an email expressing their concerns. Good luck. I hope we are closer to a resolution with this.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #20

I just spoke with my service rep. where my fiver is at in Atlanta. He said they do not see any water leaking out and they've had a bunch of rain. It appears my Eterna Bond repair on the roof where the cap meets the EPDM worked. He is going out and will raise the landing gear just to be sure though.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, water, wheel