Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Not if the wedge was installed like it should have been....but the pin should have been pulled as well.
There is no "Pin", it is (2) 5/8" bolts at the back of the pin box. If the wedge is not installed the Sidewinder is just a standard 5th wheel. The wedge must be installed and the (2) 5/8" bolts at the back of the pin box MUST be removed to get the benefit of the Sidewinder.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
There is no "Pin", it is (2) 5/8" bolts at the back of the pin box. If the wedge is not installed the Sidewinder is just a standard 5th wheel. The wedge must be installed and the (2) 5/8" bolts at the back of the pin box MUST be removed to get the benefit of the Sidewinder.
That's the gist of what i meant. Everyone has been calling it the "pin" so just carried on with it.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #23
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
The truck needs to go to a frame and body shop and check the specs to see that its not tweaked and the dealer should pay for this and the rv needs to go back to factory or be replaced its has got to be tweaked in some way, no way would I take delivery of this unit. To me it sounds like lawyer time . I know if t was mine I would be very and on the verge of being out of control. Please keep us posted and be sure you have lots of pics and a paper trail form others
Ultimately, it is the operator, not the installer, who is responsible for the operation of their rig. Regardless of the level of expertise the technicians have, the operator is required to know and understand their equipment and make sure it is in a safe operating condition. What ever the dealer offers in assistance, take it. We must, at some point, start taking responsibility for our own actions. If you aren't sure how something works, find out before you damage something or worse. Pointing fingers at poorly trained staff is great if you like pointing fingers. Take responsibility for your own lack of knowledge. It is no more the dealers fault than it is your own.
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #24

Take responsibility for your own lack of knowledge. It is no more the dealers fault than it is your
???
Enlighten me.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #25
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
???
Enlighten me.
All ready said, it is the operators responsibility to know the equipment they are operating. The law doesn't accept ignorance as a defense. Know and understand your vehicle, your trailer and all of the other components that connect the two.

I will not move a unit until I understand fully what I am moving and how everything works so I can do it safely. I'll be damned if I'm going damage something or, even worse, cause injury to myself or anyone else because I didn't find out how something worked before I used it.

I don't hunt. I don't own a gun. But, if I were invited to do some shooting with someone, I would learn everything I could about how the gun works and how to operate it safely before pulling the trigger. Because, the consequences of that action will be 100% my responsibility. Hopefully the beer can and only the beer can will suffer.

When operating heavy equipment, if I don't know my equipment inside and out and an incident occurs because I didn't know I was supposed to remove or install a specific pin, it's my arse on the line, no one else's.

I hope this helps clarify what I had assumed was a pretty clear statement. Apparently I make mistakes too. Just ask DW.
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #26

From reading the OPs post i was under the impression the dealer was at fault. If you take your vehicle in for a service(i know you do it all yourself) and tire rotation and while driving back home a wheel comes off because they didn't tighten it is it your fault because you didn't check all the wheels before you left. Remember "assumed"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #27

Whow what a Deja vu post. Spring of 2016 one of my closest friends purchased an Eco-boost Ford with a fixed Reese 5th wheel hitch and also purchased a new 5th wheel with a Reese revolution. Papers signed the dealership had the 5th wheel pulled ready to connect. He handed them the keys to his truck and they connected the rig to the TV. With no briefing off he goes and on the way home, approx. 6miles, he noticed the truck was a little stiff in turns but didn't think anything about it until he got home and got ready to disconnect the rig from his truck.

He called the dealership to let them know something was really wrong. They dispatched a technician immediately saying not to move the truck. The technician discovered that they failed to remove the revolution locking bolts. The Reese revolution and the truck 5th wheel hitch were bent beyond reason with no real explanation how he even made it home. They replaced everything and then also took his truck to the dealership for frame inspection and repairs if they were needed. No damage to the truck was found but the RV dealership stepped up and took care of everything free of charge.

Granted he should have known his rig and equipment better but the dealer really stepped up in this case to take ownership of the damage and make all necessary repaires. I'm hoping that your situation will result in a similar satisfactory outcome.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #28
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
Ultimately, it is the operator, not the installer, who is responsible for the operation of their rig. Regardless of the level of expertise the technicians have, the operator is required to know and understand their equipment and make sure it is in a safe operating condition. What ever the dealer offers in assistance, take it. We must, at some point, start taking responsibility for our own actions. If you aren't sure how something works, find out before you damage something or worse. Pointing fingers at poorly trained staff is great if you like pointing fingers. Take responsibility for your own lack of knowledge. It is no more the dealers fault than it is your own.
When someone PAYS you to perform a job it is your responsibility ( the person / business being paid) to do the job completely, professionally and correctly? this is the entire reason you are getting paid. with the mentality you are trying to display nobody would ever bring their equipment to you for any kind of repair because you care NOTHING about your customers or the binding agreement of a contract. I think before you reply to anything else on the thread you should look up the law because it is obvious you don't have a clue. its not about pointing fingers, its about right and wrong.
2014 sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
All ready said, it is the operators responsibility to know the equipment they are operating. The law doesn't accept ignorance as a defense. Know and understand your vehicle, your trailer and all of the other components that connect the two.

I will not move a unit until I understand fully what I am moving and how everything works so I can do it safely. I'll be damned if I'm going damage something or, even worse, cause injury to myself or anyone else because I didn't find out how something worked before I used it.

I don't hunt. I don't own a gun. But, if I were invited to do some shooting with someone, I would learn everything I could about how the gun works and how to operate it safely before pulling the trigger. Because, the consequences of that action will be 100% my responsibility. Hopefully the beer can and only the beer can will suffer.

When operating heavy equipment, if I don't know my equipment inside and out and an incident occurs because I didn't know I was supposed to remove or install a specific pin, it's my arse on the line, no one else's.

I hope this helps clarify what I had assumed was a pretty clear statement. Apparently I make mistakes too. Just ask DW.
Based on those statements, the next time I take my truck in for an oil change then before I drive away it is my responsibility to get under the truck and inspect the oil filter for correct tightness, etc. If it's not, and all the oil pumps out on the way home, then the cost of the engine replacement is MY responsibility.

Yeah. Riiiiight!!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #30

Whenever I take something in to be worked on, no matter what, I expect it to be given back to me in proper working condition, at least in regards to the item it was brought in for. If there is something not right or that I need to keep an eye on then I should be told.
Some years back my BIL took his car to a jiffy lube place and had the automatic trans fluid changed. They put the wrong oil in it and that destroyed it. Was it his fault for not inspecting the oil as they were putting it in? If so then they need to change their policies on customers in the work area.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #31

I just bought a new 5er with reese revolution. I also had dealer install a reese no-drill frame mounting kit. After everything was hooked up, the mechanic went though everything about hitch and did an actual disconnect and reconnect to 5er to show me how to do everything.The mechanic gave me many safety tips. When they were ready to let me take my truck with 5er hooked up the mechanic towed it first to be sure all was well and to give me tips about towing. Then he rode with me as I towed it for a good distance and answered any questions I might have. I think that's how all dealers should treat their customers. It's a shame in my mind that this happened to the op. We look including myself, to who we consider professionals for their expertise. I do think doing your homework is important, but it's easy to not see every little detail. Good luck op, hope all gets resolved to your liking!
2015 F150 , 5.0 , 3:55 axle
mikdor1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer