Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Just getting started!

Wow dealer really messed up

Just purchased my 387MKOK and since I have a short bed truck, I negotiated a sidewinder hitch into the deal.
When they hooked it up the first time they forgot to remove the anti rotation pin essentially marketing the truck and trailer one rigid unit. Just moving the unit about 200 yards and two 90 degree turn twisted the fifth wheel hitch plate and jaws and slightly bent the hitch pin.
The dealer is replacing the hitch and sidewinder pin box as they should, but with so much pressure, I am concerned that there may be damage I can't see under the skin of the trailer at the frame.
Obviously this has delayed delivery and the dealer still,has the unit in their possession.
Any advice as to what I should do?
I have contacted Forrest River and they suggested sending them something formal requesting feed back and establishing a written record with them. They did mention the "after market" pin box aspect, essentially removing them from warranty claims.
Mf4dyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

The quality of work and lack of pride by mechanics in ALL fields (RV, car, ATV, snowmobile, etc..etc.) is the reason I do all of my own work.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. I don't even trust anyone to do oil changes correctly because they can't even get the spec of oil correct for my MB diesel.

Its your life and safety, why trust it to someone else?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

I agree with Skyliner, long-term owners that get actively involved and accept mutual responsibility if someone helps you, or DIY, have a lot less problems. Too often service personnel are brought on the job lacking experience and are trained on the job...keeps the pay rate down...many dealers won't even pay for at-mfg training so the personnel can build their expertise, nor encourage personnel to gain certifications.

Tough lessons to learn.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

Similarly, if buying used, it is a very good idea to become an expert at water damage, expand your technical service knowledge, and practice PDI's so you get good at seeing beyond first impressions when inspecting a unit. Top of the service list is electrical expertise.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

Telling the OP to do his own work, while good-intentioned, is not helping here...he has a problem now, and maybe he doesn't have the knowledge, skills, or tools to "do everything himself."

I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what happened here, not sure what an anti-rotation pin is or what it's function is. But regardless, if the dealer installed it, and it caused damage to your hitch and trailer, I don't think I'd take delivery of it. I think I'd insist that they send the damaged unit back to the factory for a full inspection to make sure nothing else is "tweaked." Or just insist on a replacement. It sounds like someone did something very negligent, I can't picture how any 5th wheel trailer/hitch/truck combo could be made into "one rigid unit," unless someone did something really wrong.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

I agree with Taranwanderer and I would go one step further and get a four wheel alignment on my truck, insist the dealer pay for it. If the hitch and pin bent that bad you may have bent the frame of the truck. Find out now not latter.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Telling the OP to do his own work, while good-intentioned, is not helping here...he has a problem now, and maybe he doesn't have the knowledge, skills, or tools to "do everything himself."
I agree, not everyone has the expertise, tools, warm work space, time, or desire to do everything on their RVs.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I agree with Taranwanderer and I would go one step further and get a four wheel alignment on my truck, insist the dealer pay for it. If the hitch and pin bent that bad you may have bent the frame of the truck. Find out now not latter.
4 wheel alignment wont show frame damage in that area. The other components failed before there could possibly be frame damage. Plus 5th wheel rails add another boxed section in that area that will strengthen the area for rotational forces.

Look for shifted seams around the neck area of the 5th wheel. Most likely your fine.
The hitch and side winder are most likely the weak link in this situatuon as they are not designed to handle the stresses exerted by leaving the rotation pin in.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #9

The anti rotation pin just locks out the " sidewinder" part of the hitch.
It still pivots on the fifth plate.. ?
Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

When we bought the first 5er I looked back with thankfulness to God. I had never pulled a 5th wheel or GN trailer. My TV came with a GN hitch, the used 5er had an adapter on it. I hooked up and towed away. I knew to watch for corners and check brakes(even though I never towed with brakes), but I never check bed clearance, lights or anything. Dang I was blessed. Thanks to this forum and the wish to learn I have learned a lot....and more all the time. Thank you FRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post

Here is an install video. When the wedge is installed...it locks the pin rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Not if the wedge was installed like it should have been....but the pin should have been pulled as well.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:

I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what happened here, not sure what an anti-rotation pin is or what it's function is. But regardless, if the dealer installed it, and it caused damage to your hitch and trailer, I don't think I'd take delivery of it. I think I'd insist that they send the damaged unit back to the factory for a full inspection to make sure nothing else is "tweaked." Or just insist on a replacement. It sounds like someone did something very negligent, I can't picture how any 5th wheel trailer/hitch/truck combo could be made into "one rigid unit," unless someone did something really wrong.
I agree that the dealer is responsible and I wouldn't take delivery until the factory certified that repairs returned the unit to factory standards. I'm not familiar with anything in the hitching system that could create the condition you described, but obviously it did.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Not if the wedge was installed like it should have been....but the pin should have been pulled as well.

Got it!

So the fifth was locked, and the sw was locked too!!
Uh oh.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #15

Taran correct on doing things yourself. Some folks just like to boast about how wonderful they are. Most of us know what and what not to get into.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #16

"he has a problem now"

And he will have more problems in the future.

Be wonderful the forum correct way - the focus should be to catch the fish for him, not help him learn to catch the fish himself!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
Crusin81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf4dyce View Post
Just purchased my 387MKOK and since I have a short bed truck, I negotiated a sidewinder hitch into the deal.
When they hooked it up the first time they forgot to remove the anti rotation pin essentially marketing the truck and trailer one rigid unit. Just moving the unit about 200 yards and two 90 degree turn twisted the fifth wheel hitch plate and jaws and slightly bent the hitch pin.
The dealer is replacing the hitch and sidewinder pin box as they should, but with so much pressure, I am concerned that there may be damage I can't see under the skin of the trailer at the frame.
Obviously this has delayed delivery and the dealer still,has the unit in their possession.
Any advice as to what I should do?
I have contacted Forrest River and they suggested sending them something formal requesting feed back and establishing a written record with them. They did mention the "after market" pin box aspect, essentially removing them from warranty claims.
It appears the manufacture is already covering their rear end. I suggest you do the same. I hope you took plenty of pictures of the incident, the dealership, and all of the people involved to include any witnesses (with names and contact info) be sure you do not except anything for the damages, get a third party inspection in writing date and time stamped. with the inspection of the truck and trailer, request the dealer ( management, not service writer) to pay for all repairs to be done by the service department and company of your choice. and to also pay you for the inconvenience this has caused you. be sure the answer is in writing and signed by management / owner. if they refuse and there is significant damage seek legal help with an attorney. (if you haven't already).

I am really tired of dealers pinching penny's, hiring kids with little to no experience so they don't have to pay them much and to top it off with NO quality control to protect the customer.

sorry if I am sounding a bit harsh, I have gone to a different repair shop 4 times in the past couple years to include the RV dealer where I bought my RV and ALL of them had their heads so far up their rear that they didn't have a clue how bad they really are. transmission shop, engine rebuild shop, RV Dealer and vehicle Maintenance shop. Personnel I finally gave up on all of them. Luckily I am a certified master mechanic, so I am just going to do my own work. this is what I normally do but with major components I THOUGHT I WOULD BE ABLE TO TRUST SOMEONE ELSE TO GET IT DONE RIGHT FOR ME. I WAS SURE WRONG.

good luck with your situation.
2014 sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The truck needs to go to a frame and body shop and check the specs to see that its not tweaked and the dealer should pay for this and the rv needs to go back to factory or be replaced its has got to be tweaked in some way, no way would I take delivery of this unit. To me it sounds like lawyer time . I know if t was mine I would be very and on the verge of being out of control. Please keep us posted and be sure you have lots of pics and a paper trail form others
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #19

The sidewinder requires that two bolts be removed for use in short beds which makes the assembly from the hitch to the pin rigid. The pivoting than moves from the hitch up to the trailer itself. It basically moves the pivot back about 22 inches. I have one in my short bed and love it. With the dealer has to move the trailer the bolts must be reinstalled to prevent a double pivot point which is what happened here if I was to guess. My sidewinder was welded to the trailer according to my paperwork so if that is the case, it might require a little more work.There are models which bolt in also which would make things easier.Good luck and keep fighting the good fight.https://youtu.be/5I6w04tAnm8

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Google Reese Revolution or Sidewinder and you'll have a better understanding.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer