Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

2004 Wildcat 29BHBP chucking VIOLENTLY

Just bought a 2004 Wildcat 29BHBP 5th wheel. Using a B&W Companion hitch. We had the axles aligned. The tires are new and we had them balanced just in case. The problem is the camper bucks the truck so bad it is like riding a bronco sometimes! Has anyone else had this problem with this particular model camper and if so, how did you fix it? We love the camper at the campsites but getting there is almost painful.
podzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

2004 Wildcat 29BHBP chucking VIOLENTLY

I pulled a 2004 Sandpiper 31rlbs 30K + miles. Our first long trip from Florida to Canada was a problem. Returning coming home on I -77 south of Canton, OH, the concrete roadway was shaking us to death. Had to slow to about 45 to jerk us intact. Upon arriving home, I ordered a rubber pin box from MOR/ryde. While the pin box didn't remove all the push/tug, it cushioned it to where we had no further problems. I think it was a nature of the beast but we had many more happy trips after the first.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Team

What are you towing it with?
What load range tires are on the TV?
What air pressure are you running in the TV tires?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by podzach View Post
Just bought a 2004 Wildcat 29BHBP 5th wheel. Using a B&W Companion hitch. We had the axles aligned. The tires are new and we had them balanced just in case. The problem is the camper bucks the truck so bad it is like riding a bronco sometimes! Has anyone else had this problem with this particular model camper and if so, how did you fix it? We love the camper at the campsites but getting there is almost painful.
Give some specifics on the tow vehicle and hitch set up. If you do this it will help with getting responses. Things like make, model, tires, and pressures.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #5

That model had a lot of rear storage in the backpack of the trailer and also in the rear pass through storage. Because of all the rear storage you might not have enough weight on the kingpin. Try shifting more weight to the front storage compartment from the rear to see if that helps.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

I agree, with the limited info supplied, that it is a weight distribution problem. I tow a 30 foot V-Cross 5th wheel with a Chevey 2500hd diesel with air bags and an extra leaf spring(for hauling a heavy Lance in the bed on occaision). I have a Companion Hitch. Other than seeing my rig in the mirror, I hardly know it is back there.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #7

podzach.... 'Oakman' had a good post about trying to adjust some of the load from the rear of the rig and more onto the kingpin....this may help a little.

Cucking is 'no fun' for any length of a trip and it can be down right exhausting !

As you probably know 'chucking' is the fight between the truck and trailer as the wheels pass over the same road imperfections, bumps - dips, at a slight different time.... thus providing a tug-and-pull -push sensation.
This can be very hard on the connections and all the frame work... for both truck and the trailer.

I choose to invest in a Trail Air Tri-glide Pin Box to smooth out the ride.

It has reduced the chucking to almost non-existent and the harsh bumps and dips are cushioned by the air ride and shock giving the driver and co-pilot a more comfortable ride.
'Plus' the trailer frame is not stressed so much and the interior items are not bounced around as much as well.

Hope this helps

Islnader
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, wildcat