Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

2008 32QBBS Pin Box Issues?

Our new to use 2008 Wildcat 32QBBS was bought new by the original owner and placed on a seasonal site, so it was towed only a few hundred miles. I've read about pin box and frame issues with Wildcat rvs and was wondering if it's something I should be concerned about? Should I preventatively reinforce the pin box or other parts of the frame?

It still has a fixed pin on it, and was quite rocky feeling when my wife and I pulled it home. This is my first fifth wheel (and rv), so I'm not really sure what to expect. Might flexible pin box help mitigate any frame issues?

It has the newer front cap if that matters.

Thanks All!
joelhanson123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

"joelhanson123".....

I can only speak for myself and my experiences.
...this is the largest 5th wheel I've ever owned/pulled.

I was not aware of the possible problems when I bought my unit until I started reading about the pin box/frame failures due to poor design and thin/inferior materials.

In answer to your question...
1) a simple test to see if you have any problems is to hook up your 5th wheel to the truck and "watch closely" as it lowers onto the hitch. The pin box should not flex as it settles onto the hitch...it should remain in the same plane to the front cap before and as the weight transfers. If it shows significant flex (tilt upwards) do an inspection for tears in metal or weld failure in the whole front section not just where the pin box is attached.

2) quote:"was quite rocky feeling when my wife and I pulled it home" ...I think the 'rocky' feeling may have been what is called 'chucking'...which is the battle between the truck and trailer as it rides along the road...a jerking-back-and-forth feeling in the cab.
Chucking , Sudden Bumps & Dips in the road... All this puts a Heavy Strain on the whole rig...trailer frame - pin box mount- hitch and truck.

3) I can not say for certain if a... (quote)"might a flexible pin box help mitigate any frame issues"... but from experience my TailAir Tri-glide Pin box has virtually eliminated the 'chucking' (with the tri-glide rollers) and the Airbag provides a good dampening of the harsh bumps and dips.
However, as I do not have any frame problems at this point (from inspection) I did put out the big bucks for the TrailAir Tir-glide.

No chucking makes it a far nicer ride in the cab and seeing (via the rear view mirror) the air bag doing it's job gives me more confidence that less stress is put on the 5th wheel frame ....lessening... the possibility of metal/weld failure .
See my previous post :Re my follow up
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post870262 <click here

Hope this helps
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
32qbbs