Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #21
Now a "Top Member"

Thanks for that heads up RV-Tech. I couldn't recommend them anyway, 'cause I can't even figure out where they sell them. I have no idea where FR found them. Mine have been good so far (knocking on wood...a lot). I've towed all over East Texas, and from Houston to Branson to Omaha and back. I do have the 16" though. I am still a bit paranoid about them, but so far so good.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #22

I think will keep my 5 year old 10k mile old tires on until I don't feel comfortable anymore. Screw that 5 year rule crap. I inspect my tires every trip and if they pass my inspection they will keep going.

Some of you guys could blow out a tire in the driveway not even rolling lol.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post

Some of you guys could blow out a tire in the driveway not even rolling lol.

Mine did manage to have a flat while sitting in the driveway.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #24

Tire failure

My 2006 Wildcat 29 BHPH came from the factory with Duraking LT235/85R16E 120. They are 10 ply rated at 3042 lbs @ 80 psi. I had my 1st blow-out in July this year, and my second over Labor day weekend, just last month. My trailer might have maybe 6000 mi. on it. I am strict about checking air pressure, visual, lug torque not only before a trip, but during as well. These tires, I am told, are made by Carlisle, though no manufacturer's name is on them. They are made in Taiwan and are JUNK !!!
After an extensive search to find trailer tires with the "proper" ST rating made in USA (extremely hard to find), I finally settled on Goodyear Marathon, (Goodyear but made in China). I bought them from America's Tire, so at least the warranty is solid. America's Tire / Discount Tire have their own road hazard free replacement warranty, so even though they are made in China, I feel much better having America's Tire behind them.
dieseldad55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #25

Mr. Ed, not good news on these tires. My 31TS came with these tires. At 10600 miles, recommended tire pressure, 1/4 inch tread (new is 5/16, under GVW on a cool day blew the 1st after 45 miles, the 2nd after 50 miles. No damage from first but damage from the 2nd. These tires have no serial numbers, manufacture and did not receive any warranty info with my owner package. These were all side wall blowouts. Have contacted my dealer to go to Forest River. Best guess is that these are cheap, cheap tires that Forest River buys to sell trailers. Will wait and see what they want to do. The warranty is with the tire manufacture, but who is that? What do they think, that we won't use these 5th Wheelers. Rusty Bailes, Leesville, La.
Bailes Cattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
Now a "Top Member"

Well, thanks for the info (or lack of info as it were) Rusty. I kinda figured as much. I'm sure I'll be getting different tires before too long anyway. I don't do a lot of long hauls...a lot of camping fairly close to home. My one trip from Houston to Branson to Omaha and back was the exception, and there may be another one or two like that. But mostly close to home.

Still........
Retired AF MSgt

Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #27

Fyi

Just in case anyone else gets to this forum as I did, looking for info on these tires! After a call to our dealer, a call to our manufacturer, and a call to the folks that put these tires on the rims for distribution (Lionshead), we are unhappy to find out that if you have a problem after 1 year from date of purchase of your RV, it's just too bad! Our's are on a 2009 Sunnybrook, and we had a side wall blow out. The pressure was checked in the morning, and the tire blew out around 11AM. I know there are less than 3000 miles on these, so we don't think they're very good tires.
dutybrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #28

Power Express Tires

Yes, these are the cheap of the cheap for trailer tires. Have to get credit to Forest River as they did replace my tires. I purchased DURO tires since I have had them on some Ranch Trailers and liked them. I sent the two damaged tires back to Forest River and then sent me a check for the Tires I purchased. My rig is a 2010 and with my experience of hauling trailers the pressure and gross wgt is always right. The trail express/power towing tires are just cheap and should never be put on a trailer of any kind. If you have them, they are going to have a side wall blowout. Count on it. rb
Bailes Cattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #29
Texas Member

Rusty, wish I'd read your thread before my current trip. Have a 2010 Sierra 5er that came with the Trail Express tires. Should've known something was up when I saw the tires (235/80R16) didn't match the yellow sticker (235/85R16). Driving from Houston to Little Rock on Good Friday, with only 5K miles on the trailer since purchased new, drivers side blowout (and damage) just south of Texarkana. Bought new tire in Texarkana, then the passenger side blew 50 miles later, also with significant damage to the trailer.

As of this morning, I'm riding on 4 new Goodyear G614 RST tires. Quite a whollop to the pocketbook, but I certainly feel better cruising on to the Smokey Mountains. Can't wait to get an estimate on the damage to the fenders and such.

Jim
1 Wife & Supreme Commander
"Destinations may be forgotten ... it's the journey you remember."
jledwards0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #30

First time on forum! I have a 2010 wildcat 29ft fw w trail express tires a st225/75r15 with 5 k miles and one tire near blowout with tire seperation. I do not feel comfortable with them. Who sells them? Any recalls?
JESLAYTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #31

tblkfsh

I have just experienced (4/27/11) the quality of the Trail Express tires (ST 235/80 R16 E) on a 2010 Wildcat 31TS. A total tread separation (55mph) pressure had been checked(80 psi cold) 2 hours prior to leaving home. Fortunately only 15 miles into the trip (from home) on I-10 in south MS. After $1800+ worth of damage the tires will be replaced as soon as it gets out of the shop. The tire manufacture date is 1109, had approximately 4000 miles on it and was always covered when parked. I did not have tire pressure monitoring system but will soon.
tblkfsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #32

Thanks for quick feedback, has anyone heard of a recall on the express tires?
JESLAYTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #33
Now a "Top Member"

Hah! I tried to run this down. I don't know who the manufacturer is, and there is little to no chance of any kind of recall. Mine are still hanging in there, but most of my trips are fairly short and local. I will be getting new tires as soon as my plans call for me doing much more than what I do now.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #34

First time posting so not sure I'm doing this right. anyway, we purchased a 2010 Wildcat in July 2010. Brought it home, and had a flat the next morning. Our dealer wasn't helpful, stating we could have picked up a piece of metal that damaged the tire on our way home. We had to replace that one at our expense or go on our trip with no spare. Over the winter, air started leaking out of a second tire. We could visibly see cracks inbetween the treads, and took this tire to a tech for replacement. He stated that the tire was seperating and unsafe. and so are the other two remaining on the rig. I have tried numerous times to contact Forest River, and have yet to get a return call or any answers. These are Trail Express ST225/75R15 and from what I had dug up on my own, are made by the TIANJIN ZHENXIN RUBBER CO in China. I have contacted NHTSA and filed a complaint, but guess my only route is to keep contacting Forst River until they return my calls? any help sure would be appreciated. These tires had less than 6,000 miles on them, and we really think some form of re embursement is in order. thanks,
humbird6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #35

Please contact wildcat at Forest River. Team wildcat will help. Please inform the operator you would like to talk to warranty for wildcat. Thanks so much and I'm sure we can try to help you out with lionshead the supplier. Safe travels.

Team wildcat
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #36

Since I posted this we have had quite a round with Lionshead. We did get a copy of the warranty, and I sent them the info they requested, plus pics of the defective tires. They refused to re emberse us, wanted us to deal with Voma, their manufactorer. I was sending copies of all emails to R. Batts at Forest River. To make a long story short, he is sending us a slip to ship the tires to him, and he is sending us a check for what we paid to replace these tires..We have had other problems with this camper, and all this has almost made me with we had never purchased it. We had looked for years at the Jayco Eagle, that also has the front bunkhouse. Too late now . But thanks for your reply and safe travels back to you
humbird6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #37

Sorry to hear that you have had some opportunities. Rest assured Wildcat works hard for customers and for suppliers to back up their parts. I am sure if the service man Rod said he was going to help then he will. Please talk to him directly about other possible solutions for your Wildcat. Regards,
Team Wildcat
Old 06-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #38

It's been a couple weeks since my china bombs went off - ST235/80R16's.

About $3,000 damage, but I was lucky that the tire didn't go through the floor and rip up the plumbing/electrical.

Had less than 3k miles, less than a year on the road.

Had checked them before leaving, at full 80 psi cold. Less than 50 miles out, the rear tire (of 2 - tandem axle) blew out at about 57 mph on a 70 mph road.

I refused to keep going unless I could find new tires to replace them all. Fortunately, and surprisingly, the next exit had a Goodyear dealer who had some Marathon's in stock.

Unfortunately, they are made in China too - but there don't appear to be *any* alternatives and the dealer has put them on his 5er without a problem. He did note that he had OEM tires on his, and after leaving home one time, he stopped about 20 miles out at a rest area. When walking back to his vehicle, he noticed that 1 tire looked a bit odd. Upon closer inspection, it was delaminating. He checked the others, and 2 of them were also starting to blister.

When one goes, they are all ready to go.
They can go from 'looking good' to 'blown' in less than an hour.

I know how hard it is to replace tires that look perfectly fine. I had considered replacing them a week before this one blew out and decided to not do it. After all, how do you know you didn't just waste money. BUT - when it does blow out, replace them all!
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #39

Have you already made the full repairs on your Wildcat? What attempt was made to contact forest river and or lions head the supplier after the blow out? What is the last 6 of your wildcat sn#? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #40

I wasn't willing to take the chance, and replaced the brand new Chinese "C" Duros with Maxxis D-rated tires, and bead-balanced them as well. Also bought a set of tire pressure monitors. Now I don't have to keep looking in the mirror every few minutes for chunks of rubber flying out from under the camper.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildcat