Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
Now a "Top Member"

Thanks for that heads up RV-Tech. I couldn't recommend them anyway, 'cause I can't even figure out where they sell them. I have no idea where FR found them. Mine have been good so far (knocking on wood...a lot). I've towed all over East Texas, and from Houston to Branson to Omaha and back. I do have the 16" though. I am still a bit paranoid about them, but so far so good.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #22

I think will keep my 5 year old 10k mile old tires on until I don't feel comfortable anymore. Screw that 5 year rule crap. I inspect my tires every trip and if they pass my inspection they will keep going.

Some of you guys could blow out a tire in the driveway not even rolling lol.

2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post

Some of you guys could blow out a tire in the driveway not even rolling lol.

Mine did manage to have a flat while sitting in the driveway.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #24

Tire failure

My 2006 Wildcat 29 BHPH came from the factory with Duraking LT235/85R16E 120. They are 10 ply rated at 3042 lbs @ 80 psi. I had my 1st blow-out in July this year, and my second over Labor day weekend, just last month. My trailer might have maybe 6000 mi. on it. I am strict about checking air pressure, visual, lug torque not only before a trip, but during as well. These tires, I am told, are made by Carlisle, though no manufacturer's name is on them. They are made in Taiwan and are JUNK !!!
After an extensive search to find trailer tires with the "proper" ST rating made in USA (extremely hard to find), I finally settled on Goodyear Marathon, (Goodyear but made in China). I bought them from America's Tire, so at least the warranty is solid. America's Tire / Discount Tire have their own road hazard free replacement warranty, so even though they are made in China, I feel much better having America's Tire behind them.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #25

Mr. Ed, not good news on these tires. My 31TS came with these tires. At 10600 miles, recommended tire pressure, 1/4 inch tread (new is 5/16, under GVW on a cool day blew the 1st after 45 miles, the 2nd after 50 miles. No damage from first but damage from the 2nd. These tires have no serial numbers, manufacture and did not receive any warranty info with my owner package. These were all side wall blowouts. Have contacted my dealer to go to Forest River. Best guess is that these are cheap, cheap tires that Forest River buys to sell trailers. Will wait and see what they want to do. The warranty is with the tire manufacture, but who is that? What do they think, that we won't use these 5th Wheelers. Rusty Bailes, Leesville, La.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #26
Now a "Top Member"

Well, thanks for the info (or lack of info as it were) Rusty. I kinda figured as much. I'm sure I'll be getting different tires before too long anyway. I don't do a lot of long hauls...a lot of camping fairly close to home. My one trip from Houston to Branson to Omaha and back was the exception, and there may be another one or two like that. But mostly close to home.

Still........
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #27

Fyi

Just in case anyone else gets to this forum as I did, looking for info on these tires! After a call to our dealer, a call to our manufacturer, and a call to the folks that put these tires on the rims for distribution (Lionshead), we are unhappy to find out that if you have a problem after 1 year from date of purchase of your RV, it's just too bad! Our's are on a 2009 Sunnybrook, and we had a side wall blow out. The pressure was checked in the morning, and the tire blew out around 11AM. I know there are less than 3000 miles on these, so we don't think they're very good tires.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #28

Power Express Tires

Yes, these are the cheap of the cheap for trailer tires. Have to get credit to Forest River as they did replace my tires. I purchased DURO tires since I have had them on some Ranch Trailers and liked them. I sent the two damaged tires back to Forest River and then sent me a check for the Tires I purchased. My rig is a 2010 and with my experience of hauling trailers the pressure and gross wgt is always right. The trail express/power towing tires are just cheap and should never be put on a trailer of any kind. If you have them, they are going to have a side wall blowout. Count on it. rb
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #29
Texas Member

Rusty, wish I'd read your thread before my current trip. Have a 2010 Sierra 5er that came with the Trail Express tires. Should've known something was up when I saw the tires (235/80R16) didn't match the yellow sticker (235/85R16). Driving from Houston to Little Rock on Good Friday, with only 5K miles on the trailer since purchased new, drivers side blowout (and damage) just south of Texarkana. Bought new tire in Texarkana, then the passenger side blew 50 miles later, also with significant damage to the trailer.

As of this morning, I'm riding on 4 new Goodyear G614 RST tires. Quite a whollop to the pocketbook, but I certainly feel better cruising on to the Smokey Mountains. Can't wait to get an estimate on the damage to the fenders and such.

Jim
  • Fifth Airborne with Sidewinder
  • Edge Juice with Attitude
1 Wife & Supreme Commander
4 Furry Felines
A laptop and Nikon D200
What more could anyone need?

"Destinations may be forgotten ... it's the journey you remember."
(We journey from Texas!)
jledwards0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #30

First time on forum! I have a 2010 wildcat 29ft fw w trail express tires a st225/75r15 with 5 k miles and one tire near blowout with tire seperation. I do not feel comfortable with them. Who sells them? Any recalls?

Tags
wildcat