Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

You're right and I need to look at specifically what I have.

As to your original question, I had been following some discussions about ST vs. LT tires on RV.net and the general conclusion from those who had made the switch seemed to be that there was no downside.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #62
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
You're right and I need to look at specifically what I have.

As to your original question, I had been following some discussions about ST vs. LT tires on RV.net and the general conclusion from those who had made the switch seemed to be that there was no downside.

good to know !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok here's the skinny.
my tire guy just left my shop and we discussed trailer tires. I asked him about using a LT e rated tire on a camper and he told me they do it quite often. With no issues to date. Customers request them primarily because of pricing for one and unreliably of oem camper tires.
And Firestone is there biggest seller for campers.
just an fyi.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #64
Site Team

Firestone for RV tires

That's good to hear. I have Goodyear, Cooper, and a few others in my town but not Firestone. However, they're only about 50 miles away and that's where the RV is in for reapirs now.
Got the call from Progressive Isurance Adjuster yesterday. Damage is $3300. and repairs will take until late January.
Progressive has been great through all of this.
dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #65

Wow, after seeing your pics, we were so lucky! I suggest not trying to contact the tire manufactorer, but go directly to Ron Batts at Forest River . We had an issue with the Trail Express ties, and he helped us. Be sure to keep a record of repairs and have it ready so he can help you. Please keep us posted. I read in the thread from Chris at Forest River where they are looking into changing to an American made tire, and in my personal opinion, this can't be soon enough
humbird6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #66
JAYCO Representative

Exclamation New Wildcat tire information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbird6 View Post
I read in the thread from Chris at Forest River where they are looking into changing to an American made tire, and in my personal opinion, this can't be soon enough
Here's a link to that reference: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post140667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
It's worth noting that all new Wildcats feature 'E' rated, 10-ply tires, even on our standard 15" wheels (see stats below). We believe this is an industry first!
TIRES: ST225/75R15/E
RIMS: 15X6.0JJ
PRESSURE: 80 psi (550 kPa)

We've also been exploring an American-made tire upgrade. They are indeed available, but very expensive. I'll post more about that as information becomes available.
I'll make sure to send a link for this thread to Rod in warranty so he can help me address some of the issues people have had here (at least the Wildcat ones).
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #67

My, 2011 Windjammer has the same tires. Stamped on the tire Made in China. I have about 3000 miles on my trailer when on of the tires got a bubble and went flat while parked. Tried to find manufacturer no such luck. Looking for a replacement, I discovered that most of these ST tires are make somewhere overseas and that these companies come and go. It looks like we are have to check tires frequently and replace if anything looks bad. I replaced the tire with one manufactured by Triangle, which is also made in China, but the dealer said he has not had any complaints yet. We live in a small town and
I hope he will stand by the tires he sells. I do not know what will happen if I lose a tire while traveling.
fastedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #68

Three weeks ago we packed up the 2010 Wildcat 28RKBS and left the campsite after a full circle inspection (including the tires). Drove 72 miles and parked the camper in the driveway and noticed a 3-4 inch separation of the tread along the sidewall. The ST235/80R16E Trail Express tires have exactly 5,381 miles. It did maintain pressure until I removed it from the camper. I felt fortunate that I was not on the highway for a complete separation and blowout. After numerous phone calls we were directed to LionsHead Specialty Tire & Wheel, 305 Steury Avenue, POB 731, Goshen, IN 46528, 574-533-6169. The Warranty Administrator commented that "the tire is not covered under warranty however, I would be able to sell you a tire at the cost of $121 including shipping." She also commented that we got more mileage out of that tire than most people!!! Thank you for that endorsement. Apparently that tire is made in China.

I am replacing all of the Trail Express (Anyone need a spare?) with Goodyear Marathons. Discount Tire certainly appreciates my business.
Bella Grilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #69
Now a "Top Member"

Seriously Bella Grilla? You're really from Ding Dong, TX?? That's a hoot. But back to the subject, thanks for that post. My tires have done well, but I am getting a little paranoid. Especially in light of their comment above. I think I'll look into some new ones before I head to San Antonio in March!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #70

we are buying a Flagstaff 831 RKSS 2012 . They have the Trail Express on them . I called Discount Tires and they will sell me a road hazard warranty for 18.50 a tire . I do this on every new vehicle we buy . No pro rated at Discount Tires
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #71

Why can't FR just do the right thing and put good tires on their units to begin with? It's a joke that they sell them with the cheapest tires imaginable to begin with. I would rather pay a few hundred more for my trailer than be driving on "ticking time bombs". It's unsafe for me and my family. I bet it would would be a market advantage for them over other manufacturers.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #72

Unfortunately, the vast majority of consumers in America are dumber than a bag of hammers. Luckily for us, we have friends on these forums to help keep us safe.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #73
Current River Rat

A lot of great input and discussion. What I can't understand is why FR continues to use that brand of tire. I have a new Grey Wolf ordered and have decided the first thing I will do is replace the tires. The last thing I want at any point and time is chunks of rubber doing body work on my trailer. It seemingly compares to Cadillac putting recaps on their new cars. When I looked at the Grey Wolf at the RV show in January I was really impressed with the trailer, the materials and workmanship and pricing. Duh, I would gladly pay a few more bucks for a quality tire. Guess what, everything rides on the tires. I wonder how much more FR would stand out above the others if they stepped up and started using a well known brand name tire that could be serviced by one of many local dealers nationwide, if needed. I manage a scuba shop and we sell only top name and respected brands that stand behind their products. Therefore, I very seldom have an issue with customer over an equipment problem. I just don't understand why build a great product and slap crap tires on them!! Doesn't add up no matter how you cut it. FR needs to get the pencil pushers out of the design and equipment needs and fix this situation. Okay, I've stated my piece. Anyone disagree?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #74

Well said, Bttravel.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildcat