Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
2011 281RKK Wildcat ??

I have 2005 28LE Cardinal and am looking at a 2011 Wildcat. I want something a little smaller than the Cardinal and really do like the Forest River products and support. Is there any issues that I need to be aware of? I will be going on alone with this 5ver so want something rather dependable. Thanks a head of time for any input you can offer.

lennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
If you are buying from a trusted dealer I would insist on new tires, less than on year old per the sidewall date code. A private sale usually means that you are responsible for your own PDI and can expect to make your own minor repairs. Amazon, Walmart and Lowes are good resources for parts, and of course the FRF will always help.

1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Almost every used Wildcat I looked at in the 28-32 foot range had water damage. I thought I had bought one that was perfect but I was wrong.

My camper looked perfect when I bought it used last Fall. No obvious delam and only a couple of small cracks in the Dicor which I fixed by using Eternabond sealant to seal the entire roof. Turns out I had wood rot which was not obvious until weather warmed up this Summer. Roof Rot on Left side was about 4 foot wide and from top to bottom and right side was 2 feet wide and from top to bottom. The bill to fix it is $8,200 and 3 weeks lost camping time. Delam occured after temps got into the high 80's.

Be very careful and if the camper is expensive consider bringing along an RV tech or finding an RV insurance adjuster and paying him/her for their time.

So look for the following:

In addition to obvious delamination, tape interior and exterior walls listening to a hollow sound to see if there is delamination or wood root.

Check roof carefully for cracks in Dicor sealant, exposed bolts, and staples or areas exposed. I would not buy a used camper that was not resealed every year even if no delam was visible.

DOn't be me.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Thank you Skyliner, that was some of what I needed to know. I am hoping to get to go look at it this week if the dealer still has it. Finding a shorter 5th wheel that has the floor plan I like has been tough.
lennet is offline   Reply With Quote

2011, cat, wildcat