Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

2012 293 REX advice needed...

Hi there, we just purchased a new 2012 293REX eXtra Lite and will be taking it on its maiden voyage this weekend. It has the 2" receiver on the back and it seems to be rated very well but wondering if it indeed will handle a bike rack with 2-4 bikes? On our old camper we had a rude surprise when we put our kids two bikes back there... not wanting a repeat.

Also:

- when we turn on the furnace, the AC also seems to want to come on. Has anyone else had this issue!?

- there is a "low/high" switch on the wall beside the slide switches which seems to have something to do with the power converter located beneath the fuse box? Is it okay if sometimes the fan runs higher, then lower, etc? And how do you know whether to have the switch on high or low? Our previous camper did not have this.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

Is there any label on the hitch itself. Wildcat Chris should be able to provide a rating for you as he monitors the Wildcat forum.

As for the AC fan running along with the furnace you need to select 'auto' instead of 'on' for fan control.

I've not seen the 'high/low' switch that you refer to...most (maybe all) power converters have auto controlled fans based on temperature. The only 'high/low' switch I can think of is for the speed of the AC fan.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum! Are you sure that switch is not for the tankless water heater?
Mine has a high/low switch.
Our 2013 trailer (bought it last summer) did not come with a 2" receiver even though its advertised in the brochure! So I had one welded on so I can haul bikes safely.
When you have time, would you mind posting picks of your factory installed hitch receiver? I'd like to compare it to the one I had built.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 72 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Are you sure that switch is not for the tankless water heater?
Mine has a high/low switch.
Our 2013 trailer (bought it last summer) did not come with a 2" receiver even though its advertised in the brochure! So I had one welded on so I can haul bikes safely.
When you have time, would you mind posting picks of your factory installed hitch receiver? I'd like to compare it to the one I had built.
Thanks.
Thank you for the welcome! I am (hopefully) attaching photos of the switch and the hitch. Let me know if you were wanting a different angle of the hitch.

We have not yet filled the water tank and tried out the tankless heater, but that will happen this weekend. If the switch IS for the heater, will that control high/low flow or high/low temp? How do you feel about the tankless water heater? This will be our first experience with one.

Jen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	34575   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch side.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	34576   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	34577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch capacity.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	34578  
Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Welcome to the forum!

As for the AC fan running along with the furnace you need to select 'auto' instead of 'on' for fan control.

Dave

Worked perfectly, thank you!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Jen, thanks for the pics. Yes that looks like my hot water heater switch. I think you set it to high. If your showers/ taps are too hot, turn it low. I would have to check the manual to be sure.
We have only used the trailer for 2 weeks last summer and we are going for our first trip this weekend. So I'm still learning how everything works. I know when you shower, you don't use the cold tap. You control the temp with the hot water tap only.
Later AJ.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaucer View Post
We have not yet filled the water tank and tried out the tankless heater, but that will happen this weekend. If the switch IS for the heater, will that control high/low flow or high/low temp? How do you feel about the tankless water heater? This will be our first experience with one.

Jen
Here's a link to the Girard Tankless WH manual for reference... http://greenrvproducts.com/wp-conten...-Man-web-v.pdf

Dave

Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #8

Thanks for that Dave, will definitely give the manual a thorough read. We're a little apprehensive about the tankless heater... we have kids and don't want them to have any issues with the water getting too hot unexpectedly in the shower etc.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #9

So since we've established the fact that the high/low switch is probably for the tankless hot water heater... there is still the question of this fan that keeps cutting in and out, slowing down and speeding up. The fuse box in ours is located below the cd player in the back cupboard area. It is in this box, below the part that opens to reveal the fuses, that the fan sound is coming from. Is this a sound one must just get used to... or creatively drown out... depending how one feels about it?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaucer View Post
there is still the question of this fan that keeps cutting in and out, slowing down and speeding up. The fuse box in ours is located below the cd player in the back cupboard area. It is in this box, below the part that opens to reveal the fuses, that the fan sound is coming from. Is this a sound one must just get used to... or creatively drown out... depending how one feels about it?

That fan noise that you hear is the cooling fan for the converter which converts 120V power to 12V. It's operation is based on temperature of the converter...more draw on the converter creates more heat. On ours, the converter fan usually comes on after the third 12V light is turned on.

The fan should be fairly quiet in it's operation like the cooling fan on your desktop computer...if not, the fan and/or converter should be replaced under warranty.

Dave