Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
PK4

2014 Wildcat 327CK going back to Factory

We bought our 2014 Wildcat 327CK January 2014, We have taken it out 3 times. All trips were within 4 hrs from home. We noticed a bowing out on the body where all slide out corners were, also in the interior wall. We just found out that the RV is going back to factory It may be a frame issue.
We ARE NOT HAPPY !!! It is still under warranty... whew... ! I had researched this issue with 2013 models and learned this issue was corrected in the 2014 model....... hmmmm

Are most frame issues fixable? Never had an RV go back before.

Thanks for responding !!
PK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Not to worry, they will get it taken care of. Ours went back do to a design flaw that caused a crack above the largest slide on our 355LS. Actually we delivered it up to Wildcat and dropped it off. I wanted to meet the people who were going to correct the issue. We made a list of everything we could think of, things that we could have easily over looked or lived with and left it with them. Also mentioned the front cap beginning to fade or grey out on the top. When it was delivered back to us here in Texas everything had been taken care of including, new flooring and the front cap being painted and new decals applies.
Yes, it kind of sucks that it is going back, but be happy it is going back to the people who know what they are doing, have the parts, the knowledge and ability to fix it. And lets not forget isn't nice that they are stepping up to the plate and taking care of business the way it should be when it comes to customer service.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
PK4

jonrjen,
Thanks, I hope these people know what they are doing the 2nd time around. They did not get it right when it was built.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

If it helps any, it's going to the people who are there to address an issue or problem and fix it right. Not back to the people on the assembly line who are paid to push as many units out the door in a day as possible.

The warranty facility is not a large complex, it is small enough that things get done and management watches what is going on.

Who have you been working with to get it sent back to Elkhart, your dealer or Wildcat direct?

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My sabre is at the factory for major repairs right now.... the holes the slides go through were not cut square, the basement door hole was cut bigger than the farm size so the door won't stay closed, cracks in the shower, and the list goes on up to 40 items still not corrected in addition to what we fixed and what the dealer already fixed. It arrived at the factory last week (forest river paid a transporter to bring it there) I'm told to expect my trailer to be gone for about a month. Gary (sabre warranty rep) has been helpful up to this point but told me I would not be receiving updates until it is ready to come home. I plan to call once a week for updates anyways. I will tell you, our return trip to the factory was originally discussed in September. We were told to finish our camping season in October and then call to schedule a pick up a few days later. We called the week before thanksgiving. It was last week before they could come get it. Be prepared for a waiting game. Stay patient and nice but stay in communication with them and things will happen for you. Also ask for them to restart your warranty for that problem. I'm asking them to restart my warranty. I don't have anything in writing yet but it sounds like that is a strong possibility for me. Good luck and keep us updated.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
PK4

Oh Ok.... did not know that. We have it at the Dealer waiting for manufacture to call and set up a driver to take it. My husband works so he cant take it.. You have made us feel better . So from your experience, it should be fixed correctly and not have this problem again? If the steel frame is weak, what would they do to fix it?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #7

Good luck.

I wish mine was sent back to the factory. It's been at the dealer for 6 months. Supposed to be done and here before Christmas.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

One additional thing that I may throw in here. Is when you get it back you will have to do a good cleaning on the interior of things like wood chips, heavy dust, maybe a few brad heads. The kind of mess you would find during a basic remodel of a home or wood shop.

It kind of upset my wife that we had to do another initial cleaning of the Wildcat, but then on the other hand even if they had cleaned it from top to bottom, side to side and end to end..........she still would have had to redo it. One of those no body can clean up to her personal level of expectation as a given standard.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
One additional thing that I may throw in here. Is when you get it back you will have to do a good cleaning on the interior of things like wood chips, heavy dust, maybe a few brad heads. The kind of mess you would find during a basic remodel of a home or wood shop.

It kind of upset my wife that we had to do another initial cleaning of the Wildcat, but then on the other hand even if they had cleaned it from top to bottom, side to side and end to end..........she still would have had to redo it. One of those no body can clean up to her personal level of expectation as a given standard.

Thanks Jonrjen,
We just moved into the Wildcat, now we have to move out and clean it very well and move back in. This will be doable if we know for sure it will be fixed. Do you think this will be a rebuild? how long appx would that take?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Without knowing all of the facts as to the problem, I couldn't even venture an honest answer.

On ours they had to remove two slides, restructure a walls framing, remove and repaint the front cap. They replaced all of the vinyl flooring, did a little electrical work, replaced the complete underbelly and it took 7 weeks to get it back.

Now part of that time was waiting to get started on it. When we delivered it we knew there was a 2 week wait before it would get started on as far as the normal scheduling. We also were told that there would be another week added to that due to the national FROG Rally that was taking place due to sending almost all of the warranty personnel to the rally to take care of owners with issues. So that was 3 weeks of wait time before it got started on. During the side wall replacement a bath room mirror got broken, so there was a weeks wait for the mirror to come, which in the end I think they just went to the local Home Depot and purchased a replacement mirror.

So with a little addition and subtraction I would guess that it may have taken two weeks to correct ours.

I don't know when yours will be going up to Elkhart, but they do shut the company down from the week before Christmas until after the New Year.

I wouldn't figure your would be a complete rebuild. I figure it may take peeling the siding for some structure reinforcement or frame reinforcements.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Without knowing all of the facts as to the problem, I couldn't even venture an honest answer.

On ours they had to remove two slides, restructure a walls framing, remove and repaint the front cap. They replaced all of the vinyl flooring, did a little electrical work, replaced the complete underbelly and it took 7 weeks to get it back.

Now part of that time was waiting to get started on it. When we delivered it we knew there was a 2 week wait before it would get started on as far as the normal scheduling. We also were told that there would be another week added to that due to the national FROG Rally that was taking place due to sending almost all of the warranty personnel to the rally to take care of owners with issues. So that was 3 weeks of wait time before it got started on. During the side wall replacement a bath room mirror got broken, so there was a weeks wait for the mirror to come, which in the end I think they just went to the local Home Depot and purchased a replacement mirror.

So with a little addition and subtraction I would guess that it may have taken two weeks to correct ours.

I don't know when yours will be going up to Elkhart, but they do shut the company down from the week before Christmas until after the New Year.

I wouldn't figure your would be a complete rebuild. I figure it may take peeling the siding for some structure reinforcement or frame reinforcements.
Thanks for all your help and your wealth of experience !! We have never been thru this before, so you have helped us alot!!

What was the underlying problem that caused the restructure of the wall framing and removal of 2 slides? Was it a frame issue? Did you have any bowing of walls or sidewall? did you feel that the repairs were quality work?

Thanks !!! p.s. Sorry for all the questions !!!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #12

Ours is the model 355LS which was a short lived floor plan and now discontinued. I think it was brought out just ahead of it's time, as now a few of the upper line manufactures now offer this plan.
Forest River Wildcat 353LS-OK Fifth Wheel

On the non curb side just ahead of the rear top corner of the slide as per design was a cross brace in the aluminum studs of the trailer wall. However this cross brace did not extend all the way to the next stud, only out far enough to allow some surface support to the exterior wall structure to adhere to. However with normal flex of the frame and walls, and being at a point were the largest slide out was mounted this caused the fiberglass to crack approx. 6".

I kind of figured FR would tell my local dealer to cut a hole take care of the problem, patch the hole, paint it and send me on my way.

But, instead FR asked me to send a couple of photos to them via the internet and then told me it would have to come back to Elkhart to be fixed right. That this would involve removal of the slide outs as well as the complete exterior skin on that side of the trailer.

I asked if it would be ok to use for a few months before sending it north, I also laid a bead of silicone over the crack to keep out any moisture in the mean time. My thoughts were to send it up in July and August, the summer months in Texas are not the more enjoyable time of year to camp anyway. We worked out a time right around the 4th of July and we hauled it up even though they offered to pick it up. We made a little camping trip out of it and I wanted to meet the gentleman who was on the other end of all the phone calls. I was also told to make a list of everything else that we had noticed that needed attention and they would handle everything we could think of. One of the things on my list was that the material on the underside of the trailer had been cut and taped over a few times I guess at the dealership and was looking kind of crappy. I was told that they would clean things up underneath. Rather than clean it up they replaced it from one end to the other. They also repainted the front cap due to the chaulking of the finish. Another complaint we mentioned was the inability to keep a constant temp with the tankless water heater in hot weather climates. After a few conversations they offered to do an update that the tankless water heater company recommended or replace it with a new gas/electric water heater which is what we did.

And yes, it was right when it came back. Now I have found a couple of little things we had missed earlier, but then we also took out the second year warranty from FR so I have a year yet to go for those repairs.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
PK4

Thanks for all the replies !! We Will keep y'all updated... Have a Wonderful Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah !!!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #14

May you have the Happiest of Holidays and a most Blessed New Year,

Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
Chuck from Maryland

Pk4... we have same problem on our 2014 327ck. Our is going back to wildcat as soon as can be scheduled. Let me know how you make out with you unit. I worry about getting this all back together right and tight...we'll see i guess.
chuck-md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-md View Post
Pk4... we have same problem on our 2014 327ck. Our is going back to wildcat as soon as can be scheduled. Let me know how you make out with you unit. I worry about getting this all back together right and tight...we'll see i guess.
chuck-md,
Wow ... I wonder how many more of this model are going back ! We are still waiting to be scheduled for a transport driver to take the unit back.

Did you dealer give you an idea on what they thought the problem is, frame ? Keep me posted on what happens with your situation and I will as well. Thanks for posting !! Please private message me at any time so we can keep updated.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #17

Our 2014 312BHX appears to be headed back to the factory as well. Slides don't line up, bowed walls in the interior, etc. Dealer has had it for 6 weeks already and just told me they are waiting to finalize the details with FR for sending it to them for repairs.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
PK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
Our 2014 312BHX appears to be headed back to the factory as well. Slides don't line up, bowed walls in the interior, etc. Dealer has had it for 6 weeks already and just told me they are waiting to finalize the details with FR for sending it to them for repairs.
ShadMan,
Sorry to hear you are going through this frustration also . We have been give April 13 for transport to pick up and take it back to factory. Hopefully we get it back soon and fixed correctly.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK4 View Post
ShadMan,
Sorry to hear you are going through this frustration also . We have been give April 13 for transport to pick up and take it back to factory. Hopefully we get it back soon and fixed correctly.
Wow, really?? Mine is unusable currently, and they haven't scheduled a transport date. Forest River had better not come back to me with a date that far out to transport it or there will be attorneys involved. Our first big trip is 6 weeks from now, so it needs to be usable or replaced by then. I've already missed two long weekend trips (actually, I had to pay out of pocket for hotels) this year in the 6 weeks it has been at the dealer because of this.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #20

I dont know if this helps or not, but mine went back to the factory December 14th, and is on its way back now, supposed to be delivered in the morning. I dont know what all they did, but I had a list for them to complete and was told it all got fixed. the main thing they were working on was a crack in the drivers side wall near the front, well they ended up replacing both sides as well as repainting the front cap again, (dealer did it once). I will let you all know what I find in the morning when it gets here. hopefully no more issues.
blugrasbaseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, cat, factory, wildcat