Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

2015 312QBX - Voyager rear camera prep constant power

So I installed a Voyager rear camera using the pre-wired circuit on the back of my 2015 312QBX. There are only 2 wires so hard to get it wrong. Camera works great and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I did not have to turn my running lights on to power it, as I don't always like to have them on and I like the camera on all the time when driving.

However - to my surprise after dropping my trailer at the storage yard and disconnecting everything I was driving out of the lot and lo and behold the camera was still on! Obviously it receives an unswitched constant power feed. I turned around and used the battery disconnect switch to turn it off.

Not sure if this is by design but I fear that is will drain the battery when dry camping or stored with the battery connected, and burn out the camera from constant operation.

Anyone else hook up a camera and experience the same or is mine wired incorrectly? Maybe Chris from Wildcat can chime in?

Thanks, Jeff
SNOMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOMORE View Post
So I installed a Voyager rear camera using the pre-wired circuit on the back of my 2015 312QBX. There are only 2 wires so hard to get it wrong. Camera works great and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I did not have to turn my running lights on to power it, as I don't always like to have them on and I like the camera on all the time when driving.

However - to my surprise after dropping my trailer at the storage yard and disconnecting everything I was driving out of the lot and lo and behold the camera was still on! Obviously it receives an unswitched constant power feed. I turned around and used the battery disconnect switch to turn it off.

Not sure if this is by design but I fear that is will drain the battery when dry camping or stored with the battery connected, and burn out the camera from constant operation.

Anyone else hook up a camera and experience the same or is mine wired incorrectly? Maybe Chris from Wildcat can chime in?

Thanks, Jeff
I didn't have the pre-wire so I hooked it into the clearance lites and have to turn the lights on when I'm on the road (which I do for visibility anyway)......BTW - saw where Chris left Wildcat and is now working for Jayco
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
TGR

I have a factory installed rearview camera and it too stays on until I use the "Battery Disconnect switch."

I have no idea how much power the camera uses but I noticed that the IR LEDs light up at night and they stay on until the sun comes up the next morning. So, it's more than just the camera sensor and built-in radio transmitter drawing power. I do a lot of camping without shore power in the fall and I am concerned about the extra power draw. The potential for the camera's lifespan being shortened because of its continuous operation seems a fair concern as well.

I would have much preferred the camera being wired to the running lights than the way it's wired now. If the power connection is accessible, I would place a switch in that circuit so I could power-down the camera when not traveling. I haven't pursued this yet but I suspect I won't be able to hook up a switch in a esthetically pleasing location.

I recommend Wildcat place a switch in the rearview camera circuit.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks TGR, at least I know that my rig is not wired incorrectly. I do think it's a poor design. I may look at trying to see if that circuit comes into the bus bar by the batteries and installing a switch, I found some 12v remote control switches on Amazon that might work.

Anyone have any guess how much power the camera consumes when in operation?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOMORE View Post
Thanks TGR, at least I know that my rig is not wired incorrectly. I do think it's a poor design. I may look at trying to see if that circuit comes into the bus bar by the batteries and installing a switch, I found some 12v remote control switches on Amazon that might work.

Anyone have any guess how much power the camera consumes when in operation?
Power consumption is usually addressed in the spec section of the owners guide to the camera....which you can probably look up on the net if you can't remember where you put it (like me)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #6

Hi Meep Meep,

Yes, I already thought of that and looked at all of the installation materials, packaging, website, etc... No power consumption listed. I do see that they use a 3 amp fuse for the camera, so at max it only draws 36 watts, my guess is significantly less as fuses are usually oversized

Tags
power