Old 02-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #31
yes... get a exh brake, but since I have 2 turbos I dont have one now, when I did have a factory then a VGT4094 is was really nice to activate and it slowed me down really fast

2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #32
I just got a 2015 Wildcat 327CK and the weights are almost the same. I am using an F250 XLT CC longbed diesel RWD. Good Luck

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #33
My 2 cents...
I won't get into 'weights' , as it pretty much has been covered.

However, from experience towing with a F350 4x4 Dually I would add ...

..having towed a 26 ft 5th wheel, for 5 years, with this truck it was very reassuring having ample power and stability with this size of trailer. with a 30rlbs Wildcat the (same) truck notices the additional weight but on the highway the truck handles it with exceptional stability and reliability in comfort...even a more stable, straight line driving, than with the smaller trailer....the added weight of the larger trailer puts the truck down to just touching the overload spring leaf....The truck sits nice and level when hitched up.

I couldn't afford a 'new' F350 so I chose to get a low mileage ,good condition, comfortable used one.
Depending on conditions and terrain...I average 13 to 18 mpg .

True diesel repairs are not cheap but (IMHO) the $45,000+ dollar difference can pay for a lot of repairs.(if need be)

Regarding the 4x4 or not... other than the obvious reasons, to have a 4x4,
The 4x4 is very useful for backing up the rig, by putting it in 4x4 low it is way better for the tranny to back up any inclines and 'super' great to back into camp site positions will just idle at a slow walking speed as you concentrate on driving, but note, to do this comfortably the front wheels (4x4) should be disengaged. This can be done by disconnecting the air hoses (and plugging them) from the 4x4 on the fly switch. I can still manually engage my front wheels should which to.

Side note, I have now added a TrailAir Tri-Glide PinBox to reduce the stress on the Truck and Trailer Frame ...resulting in a more comfortable ride over all.

Good luck in your choice and Happy Camping!

'07 WildCat 30 RLBS ~ West Coast Edition ~
Trail Air - Tri Glide Pin Box
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 Diesel Lariat 89k miles
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #34
I believe you can get a short bed with the 250 but not the 350. Shorter wheel base may be a concern. If you go with a short bed make sure you have to proper hitch for a good turning radius.
htwomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #35
The short bed towing a 5th wheel increases concerns with possible trailer contact with the TV cab and back TV window.
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, 2006 F-350 6.0L
DickiedooFlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #36

The newer f550's have a detuned 300hp engine instead of the 400 in the 350 and 450. Thy also have ridiculously small fuel tanks. I have an older 550 DRW and plenty of fuel capacity, 59 gals and 17500 GVW. Don't even know the trailer's there. Remember DRW's don't fit a lot of places, but I'd never go back to SRW.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #37
Mddle of the Rd Extremist
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
The short bed towing a 5th wheel increases concerns with possible trailer contact with the TV cab and back TV window.
Reese Revolution hitch lets a short bed tow fifth wheels without the cab clearance issue since it move the point of rotation to the pin box, as opposed to rotating at the hitch. Towed my IWKS with a RAM 1500 Hemi, 5'4" bed for two years without issue....

Dan, Carolyn & The Bandit (1999-2015 RIP...)
MCPO (Retired)
United States Navy ('65 - '87)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote