Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

28RLS TT - towing with Expedition

Looking at buying a 2013/2014 Wildcat 28RLS TT and towing it with our 2014 Expedition and was wondering if there is anybody out there with the above setup.

If so, how is the ride and what WD do you use?

We do not dry camp so we eliminate the need to carry fresh, grey or black water and there is only the wife and myself.

Thank you for your input .... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Team

you need to provide more info on your Expy, other than just the year.
factory tow package or not, rear end ratio, which package(XL, XLT, Limited, King Ranch, EL)?

your biggest problem is the Wildcat's "dry" hitch weight of 900lbs.
loaded, it'll likely be over the max of the Expy's tongue capacity or its max payload.
SUV's, like the Expy, have very poor payload capacities, for the amount of towing capacity they have.

bottom line, that trailer's for a 3/4 ton rig, at over 35' and a loaded hitch weight of close to 1200lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

Sorry for not posting the details.

Expedition is a 2014 Limited, 2WD, 3.73 axle and heavy duty tow package.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

Thanks Dan for the reply.

I know that I'm close to the max (1,600 pounds for gas, driver/passenger, supplies. etc.) but I was hoping to see if other Expedition owners were pulling a 28' TT.

Thanks again ... Don
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
I know that I'm close to the max (1,600 pounds for gas, driver/passenger, supplies. etc.) but I was hoping to see if other Expedition owners were pulling a 28' TT.
not sure where you got the 28' number. just cause it has 28 in the model number, doesn't mean that's how long it is. almost never does the number mean the trailer's actual tongue-to-bumper length.

the 28RLS has an exterior length of 35' 2", from tongue-to-bumper, not 28'.

Wildcat Maxx Travel Trailer by Forest River
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #6

I pulled a 8315BSS with a 2007 Expedition Ltd Max (EL in the US). The tongue weight of that puppy was listed as 945lbs dry so I think I was closer to 1100 lbs loaded. Like you, I don't dry camp so never carried any water or waste. The Expedition towed it without a struggle but the steering was much lighter than I prefer. By the time I bought an Andersen WD hitch it was winter and by the time last spring came around I'd bought a much bigger truck (although I still have the Expy).

The Andersen hitch works like a dream and is a lot lighter than most other WD hitches. It is much easier to attach and dismantle, no clunking and really leveled out the rig. I'm not using it this year simply because we've now bought a fifth wheel but had we not I was happy to carry on using it.

You'll be close to your weight limit but your trailer is 35'2" long which will be too long for a regular length Expedition wheelbase.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #7

I have a 2013 grey wolf 29dsfb and I tow it with a 2003 expedition with tow package. It tows fine loaded with water but stopping and hills aren't all too much fun. I live in mission bc which has lots of hills so I put the Expedition to the test when taking it out on trips. I wish I had a 3/4 ton SUV but they are almost impossible to find here. So for now the expy will have to do!
lil2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil2low View Post
I have a 2013 grey wolf 29dsfb and I tow it with a 2003 expedition with tow package.
your trailer is shorter, almost a 1000lbs. lighter and has a much lower hitch weight.

Tags
towing