Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

312BHX - Ford F-350 Hitch

Taking delivery of our new 5vr next week and trying to determine which hitch I should get to work with the Ford's factory 5th wheel prep package. I know there are a couple of options, Reese, B&W, others?....but my main questions is whether or not I need a slider or not for the F-350 short bed.

Thanks
Dave
NOLE-FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Infractee

I have the B&W Patriot, solid as a rock and has a locking latch bar. Made in the USA as well, unlike some others. It is in my SB F250 and unless I was to do something seriously wrong I can not imagine a time I would need a slider. There are those that say better to have and not need then need and not have. I personally do not prescribe to this philosophy but to each his own.

I do know that for the last 30 years bumper pulling everything from a motorcycle trailer to a 35' camper I have never been able to get one of those to do a 90 degree turn yet I somehow survived.. LOL
What brand and model you getting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #3

I have the same decision to make... Planning on getting a 312QBX. Have a 350 SB with the 5th wheel prep. I'm leaning heavily toward the B&W Companion OEM for Ford.

The only slider hitch I've seen that will work with the prep package is the Reese Slider, and it is very expensive (>$2000). From what I gather by talking to other 5ver owners and various forums, the slider isn't really necessary with the 6.75' beds and a front cap like the Wildcats have. The Reese slider is a lot more to pay for something it would appear I will never use.

Of course a lot of people will say to get the slider 'just in case'...

--Paul
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #4

It looks like there is also the Demco Hijacker slider that works with Ford OEM package.....just not a lot of info out there on the Demco. I went to the dealer today to check out our 312BHX and I'm leaning towards getting a slider. We backed up the truck at a 45 degree angle to align the bed gooseneck cap under the 5th wheel king pin and the front cap is super close to the rear window.....but not sure if when I have the hitch installed if it would be centered directly over the gooseneck cap or if it's offset some to the rear of the truck.

RV dealer quoted $1850 for the Reese Slider...provided that he could order it without the $150 wiring harness kit...which I don't need.

I wonder if the B&W companion slider that mounts to their turnover gooseneck ball kit would mount to my gooseneck hitch on my truck? Seems like it would...but not sure.

2015 Forest River Wildcat 312BHX
2015 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW SWB PSD
Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

I really doubt that the B&W companion is going to work with Ford's Gooseneck setup. Get the companion that works with your Ford's factory prep. I have a regular companion in my SB Ram with the arms set to the back and it works just fine. The hitch itself is awesome and there are many on here that will agree. As far as the mindset of buying a slider and being happy to have it and never need it, think if you did that with everything. At that point you'd just as well buy a Peterbilt just to make sure you have enough truck and carry a 1000 gallon water tank in case you need more water and so on. Sure I could hit my cab with my camper, but you could do it with a slider too. Just chalk it up to on of the 100 other things you need to know and pay attention too when you start pulling a camper around.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

Pullrite also has an adapter kit for the Ford Prep Package in order to use the Pullrite Superglide Sliders.....but the kit requires another set of brackets to be installed for the back rails and it uses a gooseneck mounting bracket for the front rails.

Reese also makes an adapter rack for the Ford Prep Package....that allows for any unversal rail hitch to be installed. Which now I need to find out if this Reese adapter rail is compatable with the Pullrite Superglide.....

ugh!!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

The pullrite adapter also requires drilling new holes in the bed...

The Reese adapter looks interesting... I didn't see that a few months ago when I was looking at my options... Many reviews on e-trailer of people that are using it with their bed-rail mounted hitches from previous trucks. Didn't see any mention the pullrite specifically, but if it worked I would be temped by the Reese Adapter and the Pullrite SuperGlide 15k combo... That would be an auto slider for much cheaper than the Reese Ford OEM manual slider...

Edit:
Looks like the Pullrite #2700 16k Superglide for Industry Standard Rails will work with the Reese adapter. http://www.etrailer.com/question-65389.html

--Paul
Old 06-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLE-FAN View Post
Taking delivery of our new 5vr next week and trying to determine which hitch I should get to work with the Ford's factory 5th wheel prep package. I know there are a couple of options, Reese, B&W, others?....but my main questions is whether or not I need a slider or not for the F-350 short bed.

Thanks
Dave
Did you get the new 5vr? What did you end up doing for the hitch?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #9

Went with the Demco Hijacker....got the hitch installed today....doing the PPI inspection on the 5vr in the morning....but only 350 miles on the new truck so need to do some more driving before I bring the 5vr home.

The Demco looks great, dropped right into the factor pucks.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #10

Was that the 18k Autoslide?

Does the top of the hitch sit low enough to be able to close a a bed cover on the truck?

I'll be curious to hear how it tows.

--Paul
Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #11

Yes, the 18K Autoslide.

I have a Retrax Pro coiling bed cover and it closes just fine with probably at least three inches of clearance. The hitch mounting brackets have three positions for adjusting the height. My installer set mine at the lowest position....I guess because the F350 4x4 is already pretty high off the ground. Looks like if set in the middle position it would still clear but would intefere with the cover on the highest hitch setting. Also depends on how thick the cover is....

Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #12

Thanks,
I'm still considering using the Reese adapter (haven't 100% decided on the hitch), my biggest concern is the added height of the adapter and whether I can adjust the hitch height enough for the trailer to sit level (or at least close) while towing.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

Got the 5vr hooked up today and determined that I need to raise the hitch to the middle height setting in order to have enough room for the back edge of the pin box to clear the side rails of the bed cover. Without the rails, the lowest setting would have provided enough clearance between the pin box and the side of the truck. There was plenty of clearance between the cab and the cap of the 5th wheel when approaching a sharp angle while turning.

When the 5vr was level, the bottom of the pin was about 51" above grade.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #14

How much does the hijacker weigh? Is it manageable to get in and out of the bed?

Sent from my EVO using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #15

Update....adjusted hitch height to middle position, but it prevents bed cover from rolling past hitch head. But....head is easily removable from base by pulling one cotter pin and removing the pivot pin....so it's a keeper. The head probably weighs 20 lbs.

Not sure about total weight, but two people could easily pick it up out of the pucks and move it to the tail gate and then once on the ground...pick it up off the tail gate and carry away. Not an item for one person to move. There are two locking arms per side that are used to lock the hitch to the pucks.....when the hitch is unlocked, the locking arms can be used like handles to move the hitch around.

So far, looks like a great product.

Tags
312bhx, f-350, hitch