Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

344 qb water heater question

I have turned the switch on our tankless water heater to low instead of auto and I believe i'm following the instructions correct when turning the water heater all the way on and then working back words to turn up the heat. The water is scolding hot and I cannot figure out how to fix this.
k52412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #2

Mine worked great until the blazing heat this summer. Then i could not get it to a comfortable temperature without adding a bit of cold water. This past weekend I removed the water pressure regulator from my hose. That seemed to improve the situation. It seems that a lot of these campgrounds have poor water pressure, which I'm sure exacerbates the issue.
Foley5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

I don’t have an answer for you, but it probably has to do the with temperature of the water coming into the trailer. This has been a hot dry summer and in some areas the ground water is coming in at 80 degrees. After passing through the tankless water heater, water that warm is probably coming out of the faucets at 115 degrees even at the low setting.

Also at this time of year a water hose will heat the water to bath temperature, even hotter if the hose is setting in direct sunlight. If this is the case you might have to turn on the cold faucet first to clear the hot water out of the hose.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

There is a thread here somewhere regarding tankless water heaters.
You may find what you are looking for there.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #5

Contact Girard. They have a fix for this problem. If your water coming in is more that 70 degrees then you will not be able to get the water cool enough. I am waiting on the parts for our 313RE
Kbrazieltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
JAYCO Representative

Exclamation Contact Girard!

Please call Girard's Tech Support Department if you need help:
866-559-1221
Mon - Fri, 7:30AM to 4:00PM.

Ask about their "Extreme Warm Weather Conversion Kit," which solves the issue of very high temp incoming water supply.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

I have tried everything to make the tankless water heater work. I have called the factory and have done everything that was asked. We even installed a VSD pump to regulate the water flow and it still goes from hot to cold to hot and so on. I found it does not work when the fresh water temp is warm as during this hot summer. I am surrendering and having a tank type water heater installed next week. Most of our camping is with electric only and it wastes a lot of water. The tankless water heater does not work for us! This is not the first change out by the dealer. I am sending my tankless water heater to the junk pile where it belongs. If you are having problems too, just bite the bullet and get rid of it. That is my advice.

Johnv
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #8

I finally got the Extreme Weather Kit to work. You need to have the inside switch set to Auto/High and the Extreme Weather switch on before you turn the Water Heater on. This resets the unit for the lower BTU settings. I also found that the wires to cold water sensor needs to be spliced together bypassing the sensor. The kit will not work unless this is done. The kits raises the temp about 10 degrees to 97-99 degrees. If you want it hotter for washing dishes the set the inside switch to low. Seams backwards but that is the way it works. I tested the unit at different water pressures with my Watts adjustable regulator at the house and everything worked great. I am itching to take it to a campground to see how well it works. The family loves the endless hot water.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #9

I am glad you fixed the problem. We just had the new tank type water heater put in and we would never go back. If you are not satisfied, a Suburban 6 gal slips right in. Plenty of hot water for my wife and me. The tankless water heater just has too many rules and settings. It just doesn't work for us and requires constant tinkering.

Johnv
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

What and where would an Extreme Weather Switch be? I have a 2013 Wildcat 353LS. Maybe I don't have it.
u0179187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #11

The Extreme weather kit is a retrofit. You will need to contact Kyle Johnston with Girard to get one sent to your dealer.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #12

Tankless Water Heater

Just "bite the bullet" and take out the tankless water heater and put in a tank type. We did it and we like camping again. These things will never work consistently and if you get them to work once, they will act differently the next time you camp. Varying water pressure, and ambient temperature makes them react differently. They can not handle the temperature swings of the midwest. I was going to put one in my home, but not now.

Johnv
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #13

I'm not a Wildcat owner but have one on my MH and wanted to share what I learned this week at the FMCA rally. Girard was there and came out to look at the MH to trouble shoot my" to hot "issue. To be honest I only have a issue when we are using water from our water tank and then only in hot weather. The water coming out of my tank was 82 and it was to hot for the heater. The new units they are making have a adjustment on them like a rheostat but to regulate the gas flow or the BTU. He ordered a extreame hot weather kit and the dealer will put it in. He also put on as a temp fix a cover to close two of the gas burners. to limit the btu's. I love the tankless heater and like I said I only have a issue with it when using the water tank in hot weather. Hopefully this new kit will give more tools to get the adjustment right. The new design is a big improvement but it can't be made to work with our old units to bad. Thanks for the info. It seems the wildcat owners had a lot more conversation about the water heaters than the Berkshire and it was very helpful. Johnv sorry yours didn't work out but they do work and the less weight and unlimited hot water is worth a little work. Also I always use a water pressure regulator when i hook up to a campground water supply as well as a filter. That seems to resolve the pressure issues.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #14

Phil 57,

I am glad that your tankless water heater works now and that Girard has perfected their equipment. For me, I just prefer the old fashion tank type solution. We camp most of the time in the great Missouri State Parks where water is not available at most sites, therefore, conservation is important. Endless hot water is not a luxury that we can use. I can see for a camper using full hookups, the tankless water heater would be great. I also use a filter and pressure regulator.

Johnv