Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Kipster

A/c units

I have a heat pump unit on my cat, but I haven't been able to figure it out. When I turn it to heat pump on the thermostat, it just blows cold air. It never heats up and , of course, I can,t find out anything about it cause I don' t have the manual and there isn't much on it on the internet. Anybody know anything about these Arab heat pumps?
unballance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

Not sure I can help with the info you have posted. Do you have two zones on the thermostat ? Also has it ever worked and is this a new Wildcat or did you buy it used. If you have the model number I would think the manual is available on line. When you start the HP the fan turns on after 15-20 seconds the compressor starts is that happening?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

I have no experience with heat pumps on rv's, but have an air to air heat pump at home. The supply air feels cool to the touch, but is warmer than the ambient room temp. So if my home stat is set to 70, with outside air temp of 30, the heat pump runs almost continuously, but only produces 78° air. Warmer than the inside temp, but still feels cool to the touch. This may not help, but thought id share

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Kipster

When I turn the HP on, it doesn't sound like the compressed comes on. I've let it run for a while, but I still don't hear it kick in. The air never warms up.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

May need a hard start kit. Many have had to add them to the compressors. How old is the unit?
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #6

again more info. What is the temp outside? Age if Unit.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Kipster

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. I think I may take the trailer to a dealer I know and let him work out my heat pump problem. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Make sure the fan is set to auto. If not the fan will start when you turn the heat pump on even though the unit may not be calling for heat.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
semi-senior member

You may have a bad reversing switch which will prevent the HP side from working. Back to your dealer to have it checked out. That is what happened to me on a previous unit.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #10

What model of heat pump/ac do you have? I have read many stories of folks that have been told that they in deed have a heat pump unit installed because the selector on the thermostat show it to be there. But, in truth all they have is a thermostat that shows it and no heat pump unit, only AC.

I'm just up the road from you in Ovilla and would be happy to come give you a hand, but to be honest the only experience I have with any RV heat pump unit was the Coleman basement dual stage heat pumps on our National RV motor home which is a different animal all together because it is more of a residential unit.

I could come down on Sunday after the cold front arrives and agree with you that it is not working I guess...LOL. Hope you get your problem straightened out.

What local dealer are you using for service?

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

OH Yea, one more thing....WELCOME to the forum, it's always good to have some one new join us.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote