Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #1

? about LED lights

I have a number of these LED lights in various fixtures (see photo) and find they're just not very bright for reading... it seems they're easy to replace, but with what? Do more elements make it brighter? It seems it would, but I don't know what to buy. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

Go with bright white bulbs rather than warm white bulbs. The bright whites are much brighter than the warms. Also, the higher the lumen number is, the brighter the light. Two good sources for led bulbs are superbrightleds.com and m4products.com I buy mine from m4 products. You can find cheaper bulbs on ebay and amazon, but they are cheaply made bulbs. Hope this helps............

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Team

LED modules such as this contain both LEDs and high freq components. The inexpensive ones from the far east many times use inferior components which fail or cause interference to FM radio and TV. The two suggestions above are tried and true good sources.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

Thank you both for the good info. I need a replacement for the enclosed 921 bulb, but couldn't find it on m4products (with the right base) and superbrightleds.com seems to have a min. of 50. I found some on amazon; apparently the wattage is directly proportional to the lumens... one site said each watt is roughly 100 lumens. So I'm probably looking for 3 watt bulbs so they're brighter than the ones I have now. Amazing how hard they are to find.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

I don't like bright white bulbs. I have all warm whites that are extremely bright. All from Amazon.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

The more LED's the more light. I used some similar to these in my old Coleman.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

Might be all wet on this but, I think the higher the Kelvin number, the brighter the light is. Don't know who Kelvin is but thats what they use to determine brightness. I use 4000 Kelvin CREE LED's myself.

You have to be a technician today to figure out what light bulb you need...lol
Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

Basically the higher the K number, the whiter the light. 3k are a warmer yellow, 6k are more bright white but bluer. The 6s are a colder light. I'll see how mine are and if I can get used to it. Right now not so sure. I'm leaning to switching them out to give a more homey light vs hard industrial.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #9

I am by no means an expert but here is what I have learned.

Kelvens is a temperature measurement. The higher the kelvin the whiter the light.

Generally speaking temperature for light bulbs are:
Soft White (2700K 3000K)
Bright White/Cool White (3500K 4100K)
Daylight (5000K 6500K).

The higher the Degrees Kelvin, the whiter the light. Note that not all manufacturers follow the soft white/cool white ratings exactly. Many use color to differentiate on the shelf. 2700K will be green boxes, 3000K blue boxes. Beyond that I am not sure.

Typically the higher temp bulbs can be cheaper because the require different types of LEDs where as the lower temperature (kelvin) bulbs require different ranges of leds. You really notice this when they are dimable because they don't dim at the same rates and will change temperature while dimming them.

Temperature is really a matter of choice. If you are like me and want your bulbs to match colors you have soft white inside and brights white outside. I also have bright white in the car headlights.

Lumens is what measures how bright they are. Always compare lumens because two 65w equivalent bulbs will have different light amounts because wattage is how much power the incandesent bulb consumed and that can vary by filament type. Some manufactures take advantage of this to bump their numbers.

Led lights no matter the temperature are not full spectrum light compated to incandecent and from my experience they draw fewer bugs...not no bugs..fewer bugs. Check out a light spectrum graph between bulbs and you will be suprised at how much we cannot see the difference.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
Occasional campers

Soft/warm white vs "bright"

Like some others here, I prefer soft/warm white. 2700 Kelvin is much closer in color to the warmer color of incandescent lights. Even with 3000 Kelvin, which doesn't sound like a lot, I notice a difference. 3000 is my limit; I hesitate at 3000 and definitely won't buy anything above that. If a listing doesn't give me the color temperature, they've lost a potential sale; just claiming "warm white" isn't good enough. Why? Because I've found there are too many vendors who try to stretch things. The bright white color is much bluer, and I find the light unpleasant. I've seen some information recently, in connection with public lighting projects such as street or parking lot lights, about less positive reactions of people to the bluer light.

Tags
led, light