Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Angry AC Freezes up

We bought our 32QBBS last year. AC freezes up constentally. Had it in the shop for 2 mths. at the end of the season last year. Service center replaced everything they could. Just got back from our 2nd trip. AC froze every time we used it. Anyone else having a problem? Any thoughts. Forrest River has no interest in helping at this point. I'm try to get it fixed through Dometic.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Some of the common things that cause freeze up is, dirty filter, low refrigerant charge, dirty coil inside or outside, coil restriction, indoor fan motor is not turning fast enough. These are things that any AC tech should be able to diagnose. I'd be interested to hear what Dometic is going to do. Good luck, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #3

I agree with cfsoistman's reply.

Also, have they checked the Freeze Control Switch? This is one item easily overlooked.
Click here and scroll down to page 30. There is a simple test to check the Freeze Control Switch.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #4

Unfortunately they have already replaced the freeze switch and ambient temp. sensor and a few relays that I was told were bad. I am anxious to see what Dometic says today. Thanks for the link to the service manual, I'll be using that for myself to check some things. I get the feeling regardless of warranty I'm gonna be left footing the bill to replace this one. Any thoughts on replacing my Dometic unit with a Carrier unit. The required openings are the same and seems from what I have read that thermostat connections and duct work are the same.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

If it's still under warranty shouldn't Dometic replace the unit for you at no charge?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #6

I replace mine with a Carrier 15,000 BTU unit, not because mine was freezing it's because the 13,500 BTU Dometic unit would not over come the heat load, The 8314ss needs a 15,000 and if you get the new 8314Bss I suggest you get the 15,000 BTU.
Are you getting air flow from your ceiling defusers and how long does the unit run before it freezes?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #7

a/c sucks

new member here. just read your post about your ac. I was wondering what year you have. I have a 2009 32qbbs and have had many problems with it including ac. My ac is mounted in rear bedroom. I had problems with freezing and front bunks not cooling. Here's a suggestion. I went ordered 2-4 insh electric fans- 12 volt. I mounted them under vents in front bunk area to help pull the cold air away from the ac and into the bunks. I ran the wires thru the duct work and spliced into the wires that run the normal fan operation, this way when every the fan runs the 2 electric fans kick on. This also helps circulate the air in front of the camper even when ac is not used. Hope this helps you some. Good luck
Old 05-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #8

Another thing that will cause freeze up. If they didn't seal between the return air and the discharge air. So it's constantly recycling cold air.

There was a 1/2" opening between the two when we got ours. I sealed all the gaps I could find with real foam backed aluminum duct tape and placed the freeze coil correctly (because that was in the wrong place) and haven't had a freeze up since.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #9

Well finally got word from Dometic.. No replacement unless the sealed unit is compromised. Anyhow I did learn that the AC has limitations and apparently mine is about 69 degrees. Just got back from trip to Raystown Lake in James Creek PA. Temps about 85 degrees all weekend. Set thermostat to 69. AC worked like a champ with no freeze up. Also made some new friend at Bear Creek RV & Camping center. Basically got same advise as everyone on here has given. Going to seal up return from discharge and change diffuser in bedroom. Thanks for all the good info. especially the service manual from dometic.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #10

Gilby, Ours is an 09 32 QBBS. 15000 BTU dometic AC. Basically after doing all the service tests including amp draw to determine coolant level, I have basically found that the unit has a limitation of about 69 degrees on an 80 -90 degree day. AC needs certain amount of return air volume from cabin. If you keep your bedroom door closed the unit will recycle cold air from the bedroom and freeze. With the thermostat on the living room wall, it will continue to call for cold air and try to run your compressor. Try running your AC with the bedroom door open and see if it freezes. You may find you get better cooling in the nose as well. My AC blows about 59 degree air at the nose by the bunks. When the AC has enough return air it wont freeze and will go thru the normal cycle of compressor on compressor off as it reaches the thermostat setting. Two things that I am going to try are to install new diffuser that is adjustable and I am going to cut a hole and install a grated vent (for return air) above the door. This way I can close my bedroom door with out the AC freezing. Hope this helps.

Tags
wildcat