Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white View Post
Great info here. I am driving a 2003 dodge ram 2500 gas. I will try these tests next week as I am going on vacation tomorrow. Even if it just trickle charged it would be fine. When I leave my shorepower location, all 3 batteries are 100% charged. But as I am driving they end up being completely depleted. Maintaining the charge that I had before I left for a trip would be perfectly fine but this is not happening. when I had 2 batteries my truck would maintain and charge them quick and easy.
I think you said that the problem began when you ALLOWED SOMEONE to install an inverter and third battery. When something goes wrong it is usually from what I did last. Look for problems with that newest install. If the inverter is powered on, it can have from 1 to 4 amps of static draw,even nothing is running on it. If it is wired to the coach, your Converter may be running off of it and pulling about 8 amps at the 120 volt end while pulling 80 - 90 amps from the batteries. The other big draw will be if your water heater if it is running off your new inverte, it will sure kill your batteries in a five hour drive. If you are damn sure that none of that is running and your new inverter is turned off cold, then I would suspect that something else got buggered during the b.new equipment install. Finally, it might just be that in learning to have all that shut off during the learning curve with your new inverter, you killed the batteries and they just won't hold a charge now. Good luck.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Alternators are designed to maintain the charge in a battery.
The OP seems to be a bigger problem than whether the TV is charging 2 amps or 8 amps or not at all. Three fully charged batteries pull my friend's Residential Frig 12 hours without recharging. Three fully charged coach batteries should not discharge to fully dead during a five hour trip. OP is a bigger problem. Maybe just a little problem, but a big issue for the batteries until it is cured.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have an amp clamp loaded in my unit. I'm going to test this.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
The OP seems to be a bigger problem than whether the TV is charging 2 amps or 8 amps or not at all. Three fully charged batteries pull my friend's Residential Frig 12 hours without recharging. Three fully charged coach batteries should not discharge to fully dead during a five hour trip. OP is a bigger problem. Maybe just a little problem, but a big issue for the batteries until it is cured.
Whatever. I was just saying don't expect an alternator to charge a dead/weak battery,
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Whatever. I was just saying don't expect an alternator to charge a dead/weak battery,
OH yes I agree with that for sure.

Tags
charging, battery