Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #331
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Chris, We're planning on buying a Wildcat 5th wheel from The Great Outdoors in Evans, CO. However, recently I have seen Sanibel (Priime Time, FR) is advertising they are full-time all-season RVs. The R-values for insulation as stated in brochures are not comparable. The Sanibel is longer, heavier, may require a 1 Ton tow vehicle and are a lot more money. How does the Wildcat compare to the Sanibel for all-season living? BTW, the temperature this morning here (Denver)was -6 degrees F.

Also, is there any difference between the Wildcat and the Wildcat Maxx. I know the Maxx is from Oregon for the West coast. We could go either East or West from here. We were planning on the Sterling until that line was dropped.

Thanks,
Bill
__________________

__________________
bspickler is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #332
JAYCO Representative
 
Wildcat Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wildcat Plant - Elkhart, IN
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspickler View Post
Chris, We're planning on buying a Wildcat 5th wheel from The Great Outdoors in Evans, CO. However, recently I have seen Sanibel (Priime Time, FR) is advertising they are full-time all-season RVs. The R-values for insulation as stated in brochures are not comparable. The Sanibel is longer, heavier, may require a 1 Ton tow vehicle and are a lot more money. How does the Wildcat compare to the Sanibel for all-season living? BTW, the temperature this morning here (Denver)was -6 degrees F.
As you stated, the Sanibel product is in a different weight, length, and price point than Wildcat. However, there are many similar building standards being used on the Wildcat, for instance:
- 2" thick, aluminum-framed, dense foam insulated sidewalls (R-10, including slide room end walls)
- 3" thick, aluminum-framed, dense foam insulated main floor (R-14)
- 5" roof rafters (arched aluminum on Wildcat), 16" on center, with fiberglass insulation (R-14) and R+HEATSHIELD radiant barrier insulation
- 2" insulated upper deck floor
- heated, enclosed water lines
- fully enclosed underbelly with duct heated holding tanks
-fully enclosed Universal Docking Center and heated pass through storage compartment



Wildcat offers dual-pane windows for better insulation as well. The Sanibel is using more radiant barrier insulation in its build as well as 12V heat pads on their tanks, so there is a cold-weather benefit there.

For the sake of discussion, R+HEATSHIELD, Wildcat's new radiant barrier insulation, is made from a woven polyethylene material covered by a metalized film that blocks 94% of radiant heat, so it helps keep the interior cooler in summer (like a windsheild reflector in your car) and warmer in winter (like a potato baking in the oven). Wildcat has chosen to not discuss radiant barrier insulation in terms of R-values (many other brands call this a "calculated R-value" or "R-27" or "R-38"), since the R-values vary depending on ambient temperature, exposure, and specific installation. For more information on the radiant barrier insulation Wildcat is using, see this link:
R+HEATSHIELD Radiant Barrier ? Innovative Energy
__________________

Wildcat Chris is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #333
JAYCO Representative
 
Wildcat Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wildcat Plant - Elkhart, IN
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspickler View Post
Also, is there any difference between the Wildcat and the Wildcat Maxx. I know the Maxx is from Oregon for the West coast. We could go either East or West from here. We were planning on the Sterling until that line was dropped.
There are significant differences between Indiana (Wildcat) and Oregon production (Wildcat Maxx). Please see more information here:
Wildcat Fifth Wheels by Forest River
Wildcat Maxx Fifth Wheels by Forest River
Wildcat Chris is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #334
Senior Member
 
tomjsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 508
Great explanations. I too am looking at a 5er through the Great Outdoors in Evans...bought my last two Forest River Products there. I'm looking at the 282RKX. Does it follow the same build details you describe above? Also interested if the frame on the 282RKX can be retrofitted with an auto leveling system? Sure like the floorplan and the extra water the Wildcat carries compared to the Rockwood 8280WS that I've also looked at.
__________________
Tom
Pull-Rite 16K Super 5th
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289WS
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #335
JAYCO Representative
 
Wildcat Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wildcat Plant - Elkhart, IN
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
Great explanations. I too am looking at a 5er through the Great Outdoors in Evans...bought my last two Forest River Products there. I'm looking at the 282RKX. Does it follow the same build details you describe above? Also interested if the frame on the 282RKX can be retrofitted with an auto leveling system? Sure like the floorplan and the extra water the Wildcat carries compared to the Rockwood 8280WS that I've also looked at.
The Wildcat eXtraLite 282RKX uses the same build as the rest of the Wildcat lineup (as described above)! The frame is a 10" I-beam frame, so you wouldn't have any issues there -- but there is no hydraulic system on board the 282RKX (like larger Wildcats), so adding a hydraulic leveling system might be a challenge. There are electric leveling systems available in the after market, so that's always an option. The larger tank capacities of the Wildcat floor plans has been a huge benefit to our customers -- especially if dry camping!
Wildcat Chris is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #336
Senior Member
 
tomjsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 508
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I also assume that it could be fitted with 50 amp service for a bedroom a/c? Would look to order a unit from the factory to of course get the color scheme that I want.
__________________
Tom
Pull-Rite 16K Super 5th
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289WS
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #337
JAYCO Representative
 
Wildcat Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wildcat Plant - Elkhart, IN
Posts: 808
Thumbs up 50 amp service and 2nd AC available from the factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I also assume that it could be fitted with 50 amp service for a bedroom a/c? Would look to order a unit from the factory to of course get the color scheme that I want.
Both 50 amp service and a 2nd AC for the bedroom are available options from the factory!
Wildcat Chris is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #338
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Hi Chris, I had a question about my wildcat, I have stated from DMV a 2009 forester river wildcat t28 with the kitchen in the back, but when i try to find the value on nada guides it says that in 2009 their were only fifth wheels no travel trailers, I am having a tough time finding another trailer like mine so I have no idea what the value of it is. any sugestions?
__________________
nmartinet07 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #339
JAYCO Representative
 
Wildcat Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wildcat Plant - Elkhart, IN
Posts: 808
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmartinet07 View Post
Hi Chris, I had a question about my wildcat, I have stated from DMV a 2009 forester river wildcat t28 with the kitchen in the back, but when i try to find the value on nada guides it says that in 2009 their were only fifth wheels no travel trailers, I am having a tough time finding another trailer like mine so I have no idea what the value of it is. any sugestions?
If you can send me a private message with the full VIN, I can try to assist you more. NADA may not have had all information with regards to our "east coast" vs. "west coast" builds at the time, so I'll need to make sure it's corrected for other customers as well.
Wildcat Chris is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #340
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
Auto leveling foot plate missing

Hey Chris, arrived at our campground today and found one of the feet (round, flat disc) to the front auto leveling jack gone. My question is two fold. First, is that a part that normally vibrates loose and second, where can I find another?
__________________

__________________
on vacation is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
241rlx, 24rl, 252rlx, 25rl, 26bhs, 271rlx, 272rlx, 27rl, 27rls, 281rkx, 282rkx, 28rk, 28rkbs, 28rksb, 293rex, 295rsx, 297rlx, 29bhbp, 29bhs, 29fks, 29mk, 29rlbs, 302rl, 303bhx, 30bhs, 30loft, 30lsbs, 30rl, 311thx, 312bhx, 312bhx-ok, 312qbx, 313re, 313re-ok, 317rl, 31bh2b, 31bhs, 31qbh, 31thsb, 31ts, 327ck, 32qb, 32qbbs, 32qbt, 32rk, 32rl, 333mk, 337fb, 343fl, 344qb, 34flr, 34qb, 353ls, 35ls, alumacat, barrel roof, climatech, customer service, drop frame, extralite, factory, fifth wheel, forest river, laminated, led, led pad, nxg, parts, question, representative, service, sterling, sterling edition, tankless, touring edition, warranty, wildcat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.