Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up Ask the Wildcat factory...

Dear Forum Members,

My name is Chris and I'm a Wildcat factory representative. As a few other Forest River reps have offered, I'd like to assist with your questions about the Wildcat product line up (including the Sterling Edition and the eXtraLite series). Obviously, the best resource is your local Wildcat dealer -- and we're very proud of the dealers we have on the ground today. But if you're stuck, please let me know your questions. If I can assist, I'll do my best to get you an answer in a timely manner or direct you towards someone who can. Wildcat's got some great people in production, service, and parts that I can count on to help me help you.

Hope we can keep this both friendly and productive!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

I will vouch for Chris. I was stuck with a couple of problems and Chris got them unglued right away. His efforts were greatly appreciated and it is so nice to deal with someone who listens, cares and gets things done and done right!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
Dear Forum Members,

My name is Chris and I'm a Wildcat factory representative. As a few other Forest River reps have offered, I'd like to assist with your questions about the Wildcat product line up (including the Sterling Edition and the eXtraLite series). Obviously, the best resource is your local Wildcat dealer -- and we're very proud of the dealers we have on the ground today. But if you're stuck, please let me know your questions. If I can assist, I'll do my best to get you an answer in a timely manner or direct you towards someone who can. Wildcat's got some great people in production, service, and parts that I can count on to help me help you.

Hope we can keep this both friendly and productive!
Chris

We have a Sterling 32RL and need to tighten the skylight blinds. How do we do it?

regards Extremebike
2011 Srelinng 32 RL
2004 F550 Powerstroke
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
Chris

We have a Sterling 32RL and need to tighten the skylight blinds. How do we do it?

regards Extremebike
2011 Srelinng 32 RL
2004 F550 Powerstroke
Remove the 3 screws and you can adjust the string length on each side (by sure to do each side equally!).

Please call Rod in Wildcat service (574)206-7600 if you need more help!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

I'm in the process of installing on my Wildcat TT a TPMS. The installation instructions say to set the sensors at the PSI indicated on the manufacturer's data sticker on the trailer and NOT to the PSI stamped on the tire.

That's all well and good, assuming you're using tires of the same load range as was on the unit when it left the factory. After having to replace the entire set of Chinese-made tires my 2008 Wildcat had on it when I bought it new, and after having the replacement set of equally shoddy tires begin blowing out, I have begun upgrading to a load range E tire in the hope that I can someday stop having to replace blown-out Chinese tires.

I guess my question to you would be whether Forest River will suggest that I use the standard 80 PSI in load range E tires? I would much prefer to buy American made tires for my Wildcat but I have been unable to locate any.

Any advice you may care to offer will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Personally I would go about 15 lbs less than the tire stamping.
Most tpms sesors have a 15 lb swing more or less.
Your tires will heat up during travel and gain air pressure anyway.
Just my opinion.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Personally I would go about 15 lbs less than the tire stamping.
Most tpms sesors have a 15 lb swing more or less.
Your tires will heat up during travel and gain air pressure anyway.
Just my opinion.
Thanks for your input. With the experiences I've had, however, I don't dare do that. It seems that all of the manufacturers in whatever Asian country they're in have figured out that a standard answer to prevent them making good on a warranty is (to paraphrase the Soup Nazi,) "You've been running these tires under-inflated. You're a bad, bad man. No warranty for you!".

No offense, but my original post was directed to Chris or some other rep from Forest River. I forgot to push the "quote" button. My bad. I'm hoping one of them will see my post and respond with an official response from the company.

In any case, I'm through with Chinese or any other non-American made tires. They're just junk!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In response to your answer I don't think you want an answer from wildcat.
you need to be emailing or calling the tire manufacture or tire dealer that handles the tire you put on it.
1 you changed tires. Not the same as originally installed.
2 it has a different weight rating designation.

Wildcat doesn't sell or make tires. they just install cheap tires on a camper that they sell.
And there tire pressure settings they get from the tire manufacture.
if they don't install the same tire as you put on your camper how are they going to know what the correct pressure is?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #9

jlmarta, set the TPM sensors about 5lbs lower than your cold tire pressure. That way, the sensors will alarm at the first sign of a problem.
As for what pressure to run, you only have to run maximum pressure if you are loading them to the max. I am running load range D tires at 57 lbs cold, letting them run up to 65 psi as they warm up. I wouldn't run them at really low pressures, but no need to overdo it.
And look at the Maxxis tires, they aren't american (or Chinese) but have a good reputation. And if you don't mind spending a pile of money, there are premium tires out there.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
In response to your answer I don't think you want an answer from wildcat.
you need to be emailing or calling the tire manufacture or tire dealer that handles the tire you put on it.
1 you changed tires. Not the same as originally installed.
2 it has a different weight rating designation.

Wildcat doesn't sell or make tires. they just install cheap tires on a camper that they sell.
And there tire pressure settings they get from the tire manufacture.
if they don't install the same tire as you put on your camper how are they going to know what the correct pressure is?
Well, to answer your question, it's pretty standard that load range D tires require 65 PSI and the E's require 80PSI. If you'll re-read my original post I think you'll see that I have a kinda catch-22 situation going here. If I don't follow the requirements of the TPMS manufacturer my warranty with them will be no good. And on order to follow their requirements I need for Forest River to agree that 80PSI is what I need to have in E tires. I'm confident that they know at least that much about tires.

And, in answer to Crocus, after the experiences I've had and the battles I've lost regarding warranties on tires, there's no way I'll knowingly run those tires under-inflated. As I said earlier, the manufacturers all seem to use the same excuse, regardless of circumstances, because they know there's no way you can prove you weren't running them under-inflated.

Many thanks to both of you for your input. It's appreciated.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #11

They aren't "under-inflated" if they aren't fully loaded.

And I don't even understand the whole point of this thread. If the tire companies won't warranty your tires because they claim you ARE running them under-inflated, why are you on FR's arse to tell you what pressure to run in the tires, as they simply go by the manufacturer's numbers anyway?
And what does your TPMS warranty have to do with your tire pressure?
You ain't making any sense!
Old 10-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #12

By the way, sorry to Chris for cluttering up his board with this nonsense. I am done with this waste of time.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm with crocus
confused
Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
JAYCO Representative

Arrow Wildcat tire discussion

No worries. I'm glad to see some discussion (and progress) was made while I was unavailable.

Unfortunately, since the original tires were changed, I don't have much to add to the discussion. I've put in a call to our tire and wheel supplier for advice. We don't inflate the tires here since they're delivered to us with NitroFill (nitrogen-filled, which helps maintain tire pressure and reduces running temp). See this web site for more on that: Nitrogen Filled Tires: FAQs

It's worth noting that all new Wildcats feature 'E' rated, 10-ply tires, even on our standard 15" wheels (see stats below). We believe this is an industry first!
TIRES: ST225/75R15/E
RIMS: 15X6.0JJ
PRESSURE: 80 psi (550 kPa)

We've also been exploring an American-made tire upgrade. They are indeed available, but very expensive. I'll post more about that as information becomes available.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #15

Chris

I have another question about my 2011 Sterling 32RL. Why is the backing so small for the bedroom TV wall mount? I was going to by a 32 inch but decided on a 22 inch and good thing as the backing plate to screw in for the 22 inch is too small. I have to use the base and take the TV down every time we break camp.

Is it not just a piece of plywood that is back there? It would have been nice if FR put a removable plastic decal to show were I can drill rather than pilot holes. Thanks.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
Chris

I have another question about my 2011 Sterling 32RL. Why is the backing so small for the bedroom TV wall mount? I was going to by a 32 inch but decided on a 22 inch and good thing as the backing plate to screw in for the 22 inch is too small. I have to use the base and take the TV down every time we break camp.

Is it not just a piece of plywood that is back there? It would have been nice if FR put a removable plastic decal to show were I can drill rather than pilot holes. Thanks.
You should be able to feel the plywood TV backer in the vacuum-bonded wall. A 22"-26" TV is intended for that location -- I'm not sure a 32" will fit. On all Wildcats coming offline, there is a decal showing where the TV backer location is -- you can even see it in photos on some dealers' web sites. Unfortunately, it's possible that this decal fell off or was removed (or even worse, wasn't applied at the factory ).

I'll make production aware of this and see what can be done to make this better in the future!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #17

Option for high gloss filon?

Chris,
I currently own a rockwood 2601 and am looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel. I've settled on the wildcat 282rk but have been disappointed with the finish on the rockwood becoming dull after a few years. I'm concerned that the few older wildcats i've seen have the same issue as the std filon doesn't weather as well as the highgloss materials.. This is the only thing really holding me back at this time. I see forestriver offers the highgloss filon on othe models and wanted to see what's possible for me to custom order with the upgraded filon material? I'm willing to pay the cost difference as this would likely be cheaper (and better) than my only other option which is to have someone paint it when new (likely this option will drive me to buy something else as the cost of removing and replacing the graphics will be prohibitive).

I've asked my local dealer to check into this but had no response. Hoping you can help me out

A loyal forest river customer
Ross
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot View Post
Chris,
I currently own a rockwood 2601 and am looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel. I've settled on the wildcat 282rk but have been disappointed with the finish on the rockwood becoming dull after a few years. I'm concerned that the few older wildcats i've seen have the same issue as the std filon doesn't weather as well as the highgloss materials.. This is the only thing really holding me back at this time. I see forestriver offers the highgloss filon on othe models and wanted to see what's possible for me to custom order with the upgraded filon material? I'm willing to pay the cost difference as this would likely be cheaper (and better) than my only other option which is to have someone paint it when new (likely this option will drive me to buy something else as the cost of removing and replacing the graphics will be prohibitive).

I've asked my local dealer to check into this but had no response. Hoping you can help me out

A loyal forest river customer
Ross
Thanks for the question and info. I've answered your question here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cat-18222.html
The Wildcat Sterling Edition models are all high-gloss gel coat!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #19

Sterling32RK

Hi Chris. We have just purchased a 2011 Sterling 32RK. Above and to the right of the entry door is a white access hole. Picture attached. Can you tell me why it would be there? I have not seen this on any other 32RK Sterlings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2474.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9589  
Hijacker double pivot slider
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatstomper View Post
Hi Chris. We have just purchased a 2011 Sterling 32RK. Above and to the right of the entry door is a white access hole. Picture attached. Can you tell me why it would be there? I have not seen this on any other 32RK Sterlings
I'll have to check with production on this. Please send me a private message with your contact info and VIN so I have a reference point to work from.
Closed Thread

Tags
241rlx, 24rl, 252rlx, 25rl, 26bhs, 271rlx, 272rlx, 27rl, 27rls, 281rkx, 282rkx, 28rk, 28rkbs, 28rksb, 293rex, 295rsx, 297rlx, 29bhbp, 29bhs, 29fks, 29mk, 29rlbs, 302rl, 303bhx, 30bhs, 30loft, 30lsbs, 30rl, 311thx, 312bhx, 312bhx-ok, 312qbx, 313re, 313re-ok, 317rl, 31bh2b, 31bhs, 31qbh, 31thsb, 31ts, 327ck, 32qb, 32qbbs, 32qbt, 32rk, 32rl, 333mk, 337fb, 343fl, 344qb, 34flr, 34qb, 353ls, 35ls, alumacat, barrel roof, climatech, customer service, drop frame, extralite, factory, fifth wheel, forest river, laminated, led, led pad, nxg, parts, question, representative, service, sterling, sterling edition, tankless, touring edition, warranty, wildcat