Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Battery and propane locks

Just wondering if I should buy locks for the batteries and propane and if so how serious of a problem with people stealing these at campgrounds?

VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
If you are worried about that, the only safe place to camp is your backyard.........I've never had a concern or heard of battery or propane theft.

my 2 cents.

Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Are you talking while camping or in storage? Personally, in all my years I've not heard of a single instance of propane or battery theft while camping. On the other hand, I have heard of a few instances of battery theft from campers stored in public storage facilities. For the latter, I'd just have the battery home and on the trickle charger anyway.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
I've heard of the theft but never first hand. Bikes & tools now that's a different story...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
I did put and chain and lock on it while it is at storage, However, we are getting ready to take a trip tomorrow, Wed. 1-28. While camping, would be a different issue.

The chain is just a deterrent, as it can easily be overcome.
Just my peace of mind, thinking I did something!

2012 Lacrosse, 308RES.
2013 Ford F150, XLT, 4x4, Supercrew, Eco-Boost.
Lee, Dawn and "CoCo", the dog!
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
I've had both the battery and propane stolen in the same incident while it was parked in the driveway. To solve the propane problem, I drilled a hole in the wing nut and the cross bar holding down the bottles. I bought a a good lock with a long shank to lock the bottles. I bought a rubber covered steel cable and Master lock to secure the battery. I also bought a rubber covered steel cable and Master lock for the spare tire. Just don't forget the keys to these locks when you go camping.
Steve and Marlene and 2 Furry Kids. LB (Maltese) Rocky (Border Terrier)
2013 Coachmen Catalina 25RKS 2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
Stg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
Sorry if it's happened to anyone. I have heard of it at primitive campsites. The more the more vigilant's.
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
Actually Dave you could camp in my backyard the views are amazing we can see two major ski resorts from it......Again we always tent camped but someone we know said that they have had two occasions where the battery was taken from them while camping in a NY State campground so hence the question.
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Yes I know it happens but it is so rare to have theft in a campground. 30 plus years of camping no theft of anything (we rarely even lock the doors while we are out).......... Have only heard of a few that lost their beer in a outside frig to a teenage thief........ & a few 4 legged thieves..... of food...

If I lost 2 batteries think I would find another campground

Heard more issues of hit & run.... Back into your truck or trailer & leave.

Would rather let the fire dept have free access to the battery & propane in an emergency (another thread recently)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
4 years full time and we keep our 5 gallon backup sitting under the trailer no lock , never lost it and it's usually full. Now I am an avid hunter and we do have a rottwieler and had a pit bull for two of those years.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her -Or something like that?...."My advice has no basis ,more reliable them my own meandering experience" Baz Luhrmann
2011 Sierra 355QBQ 1986 F350
Mojojojo is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, propane, lock