Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Battery overcharging

We have a 2006 Wildcat. We usually camp every other weekend and so we just plug in to shore power between trips. I usually check the battery water every 4-6 weeks and its never been low. Yesterday morning I noticed a sulfur smell and checked. The battery was very hot and cooked dry. Where can I start looking for the problem? It appears that whatever monitors the charging of the battery has quite working. Thanks for any help you can offer.
__________________

__________________
steveandbarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rutland, VT
Posts: 334
Not sure what you have for your power center but if it is a 3 stage it should maintain a float charge of 13.2 volts. This should not normally cause an issue but if something failed on it, it could put out as high as 14.4 V which would overcharge a battery.
Regardless, you need a new battery. I would check the output, with a new fully charged battery, with a good digital voltmeter.

What is the make and model of your power center?
__________________

__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ Z71 Extended Cab, Long bed
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
(with K&N Air Intake) (traded)
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Not sure the power source, Where can I find that information?
__________________
steveandbarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,624
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarbara View Post
We have a 2006 Wildcat. We usually camp every other weekend and so we just plug in to shore power between trips. I usually check the battery water every 4-6 weeks and its never been low. Yesterday morning I noticed a sulfur smell and checked. The battery was very hot and cooked dry. Where can I start looking for the problem? It appears that whatever monitors the charging of the battery has quite working. Thanks for any help you can offer.
You have a 3 stage charger now WFCO, they are junk. They will not drop to 13.2 amps unless they do not read any load for 48 hrs. That is in the manual. So the way they wire the units is that they wire the CO in and also your radio which it reads and never drops to 13.2 it will stay in absorption mode at 13.6. That will kill your battery. The first thing I would do is get a progressive 4600 unit to replace it and then install a new battery. Your convertor went out so you should upgrade. The difference in cost is like 40.00 but it is a true 4 stage not 3 stage. Even FR now has gone to progressive in all there units. Very easy to wire in and replace. When you get home you just press the wizard button and drop it down to 13.2 trickle charge. It will also drop down by itself if no loads are shown. The good part is that it will read your parasites and not stay at 13.6 that is the best advice I can give you. I know if FR is making this change after all these years it tells me something.....
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Ok, I think I have that information. It's a Parallax Power Supply Electronic 7300 Series.
__________________
steveandbarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
I think my problem was from the battery went bad. The charger was possibly trying to charge it at the highest rate and the battery would not take the charge. I replaced the battery and it seems fine.
__________________
steveandbarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,721
This can happen as a battery ages and sulfates and the internal grid shorts.
You have a charger that will charge at 14.0V when the battery is depleted and then drop to 13.2 volts for maintenance. Taking a reading with a voltmeter at your battery terminals will confirm that everything is working right...you should always see somewhere between 13.2 and 14.0V...and should never see more than 13.2V if you've been on charge for 8 hours or more.
Good idea to confirm this whenever you check your water every month or so.
__________________

__________________
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, charging

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.