Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Exclamation Black tank flush

I have a 2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX 5th wheel.

For the past 5 years I have been using a black tank flush on a previous trailer by ensuring that my valve is open and draining, I open the water flush hose to flush the black tank--at which point I can hear it flushing the tank.

On this 2019 Wildcat, I could not hear the tank flushing and it seemed to not be working at all. I clearly had pressure in the hose but no evidence that it was flushing (no clear water coming out the drain hose). The dealer told me that the black tank flush only works when you step on the toilet flush... that sure limits when I can flush given some of the sites for dumping don't allow enough room to open the door and let the step down.

Do I have bad information?
lx201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Dont have that exact trailer, but never heard of such. Mine (surveyor) does not require it. Also require 2 ppl. May be wrong but dont think so.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Always Learning

I've literally never heard of having to have someone step on the toilet pedal for the black tank flush to work.

If you aren't getting water to the tank from the black tank flush, often the culprit is a back-flow preventer under the sink or behind the shower wall.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #4

I certainly don't know the pluming of my trailer but does the black tank flush go through the backflow--I thought that it goes directly through to the black tank and did not touch the internal pluming?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx201 View Post
I certainly don't know the pluming of my trailer but does the black tank flush go through the backflow--I thought that it goes directly through to the black tank and did not touch the internal pluming?
I don't recognize your term "backflow" but the black tank flush line goes UP from the outside connection to a point at least 6" above the top rim of your toilet to a vacuum breaker/check valve and THEN down to the flush head in your black tank. We have seen reports of that vacuum breaker/check valve being installed backwards or of it having failed. Many units have this valve in the bathroom cabinet. Mine is behind the shower surround on the outside water.
See if you can find it and validate that it is installed in the right direction.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #6

thank you, I will check that...
Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #7

You received good advice above. Can you clarify "no clear water coming out the drain hose)". I assume you're getting no water of any sort coming out of the drain hose. Is that right?

If you are getting some flow, maybe the black tank flushing is working. It takes a long time for mine water to go clear.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #8

yes, you're correct it takes a while before you begin to see the water clear; however, in my case there is no evidence that the water is running, the "brown" water slows to a trickle with the black tank flush hose open. At the time is seemed as though there was a "valve" closed because full pressure from the hose but no evidence of flow... (new trailer - one month old).
Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've literally never heard of having to have someone step on the toilet pedal for the black tank flush to work.

If you aren't getting water to the tank from the black tank flush, often the culprit is a back-flow preventer under the sink or behind the shower wall.
sorry Ependydad, I miss read your reply. I am going to find the check valve and see if that is where the problem is. At the time it seemed as though there was some type of valve or blockage preventing water flow...
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
sorry Ependydad, I miss read your reply. I am going to find the check valve and see if that is where the problem is. At the time it seemed as though there was some type of valve or blockage preventing water flow...
Mr. Dan did a 1000x better job than me at describing it. We're both talking about the same thing.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I have a 2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX 5th wheel.

For the past 5 years I have been using a black tank flush on a previous trailer by ensuring that my valve is open and draining, I open the water flush hose to flush the black tank--at which point I can hear it flushing the tank.

On this 2019 Wildcat, I could not hear the tank flushing and it seemed to not be working at all. I clearly had pressure in the hose but no evidence that it was flushing (no clear water coming out the drain hose). The dealer told me that the black tank flush only works when you step on the toilet flush... that sure limits when I can flush given some of the sites for dumping don't allow enough room to open the door and let the step down.

Do I have bad information?

The Dealer and your Black Tank have something in common. They're both full of $*!t.

Your problem is in the one-way/vacuum breaker just behind the connection outside your trailer.

First guess is that it was installed backwards so the "One-way" is the "wrong way".

This should be a Warranty issue and if the Dealer is not too far away have them fix. I usually fix stuff like this myself as it takes me a half tank of fuel to go back and forth to the Dealer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

I have the same trailer and mine works like a champ. I'm pretty sure there's no one way valve behind the connection, I've been in that space and didn't see anything plus when I disconnect mine a LOT of water comes back out so the check valve or inverted trap (that's what ws described by a "loop" that is above the toilet).

Definitely a warranty item. I agree with TitanMike though, salesman is full of ****.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I have the same trailer and mine works like a champ. I'm pretty sure there's no one way valve behind the connection, I've been in that space and didn't see anything plus when I disconnect mine a LOT of water comes back out so the check valve or inverted trap (that's what ws described by a "loop" that is above the toilet).

Definitely a warranty item. I agree with TitanMike though, salesman is full of ****.
On my TT there is a valve like this right behind the hose hookup. Can be installed anywhere as long as it's minimum height above the black tank and toilet.

Any connection to sanitary water supply that could have the potential for back flow or siphoning of contaminated water requires something like this. Any properly installed Black Tank flush system has something like this installed somewhere.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank