Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #1

black tank flush

Hey,

I tried using the black tank flush just once so far and it didn't do a thing.

Background: I first dumped the black, then both greys ... watched it all drain out via. the clear elbow I use. The dumping part went fine. Then I figured I'd use the handy dandy black tank flush flush ( I installed one on my old trailer and it was outstanding -- never had any issues using it, ever).

However, on this recent roadtrip back to Colorado ... all the lousy dump stations I was at always had one of those lousy metal nipples on it (no threads) ... so I got out my old green "water theft" or whatever its called ... and put it over the metal end (other end screws into your flush hose) ... and held onto it ... getting somewhat wet as sometimes happens ... but I felt I had a reasonable ok connectiong ... and of course nothing ever came out the black tank and I did have it open. I waited several minutes and nada.

Anyways, I finally gave up in frustration as the weather wasn't so nice ... and I was getting kind of wet ... and I figured the lack of water pressure (because of the poor connection I had to my hose) was the reason.

I haven't had opportunity to try it since, but has anyone had similar problems with low pressure connections into the black tank flush? Or just had a problem with it working on a brand new unit ?

I've read on other threads that some have a pressure regulator inline. Everything seems pretty well sealed up, so hard to look into, compared to my old trailed which didn't have any sealed belly, so you could see it all.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #2

There is a pressure operated check valve but I have no idea how much pressure it takes to open it. I will say I've been at some dump stations that had flat sorry pressure out of the rinse hose.

Now I have heard about check valves being stuck or connected backwards. I'd connect at home with known good pressure and see what happens. Just run it a minute or two to prove it works, that won't put much of anything in the tank but you'll be able to hear it run.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Campfire Master

I would check the vacuum breaker/check valve. Mine was loaded with sawdust. Took it apart, cleaned it out and it worked great. On my first Wildcat, it was located behind a panel in the bedroom, in my current one, it's located underneath the bathroom sink.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Does it flush fine when using a threaded connection?

My flush valve is under the Vanity in the bathroom.

I carry lots of brass adapters and hose splitters for dump station and campground use. I always use brass after having seen the result of a plastic splitter breaking in the middle of the night.

Male to Male, Female to Female, 5/8 inch Barb to Male w/ screw clamp, and 1/2 Barb to Male w/ screw clamp for just those times when someone has run over the end or cut it off.

I also keep cheap plastic hose repair parts that I can leave on the hose for the next guy or gal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1P724_AS01.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	55736   Click image for larger version

Name:	4KG82_AS01.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	55737  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

black tank flush

I have yet to test the threaded black flush with a known good pressure water connection (say at home) ...

Chris, do you know if there is an anti siphon valve on the 2015 337fb ... And if so , where is it accessible from?

Sounds like bathroom cabinet is a possibility?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybrynn View Post
I have yet to test the threaded black flush with a known good pressure water connection (say at home) ...

Chris, do you know if there is an anti siphon valve on the 2015 337fb ... And if so , where is it accessible from?

Sounds like bathroom cabinet is a possibility?
All connections of that nature must have an anti backflow fitting between the connection and the tank. It can be in a closet, back of drawers or in bath cab. This required by Fed rules.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #7

Hose installation

Our new 295RSX is back at the dealer with a small handful of issues after the first shakedown cruise. One being, could not get water to come out of the black tank when connected to the flush. The short story is that the dealer's techs found the line behind the flush connection kinked, so only a trickle of water was going thru. They had to access it thru the floor underneath.

This is our 4th FR camper and we have generally been pleased with the performance of each one. However, I've learned to accept that this industry's focus on quality control is minimal at the factory. The dealer's PDI is only marginally better. Note to first time buyers: make no assumptions, test every system before you leave the dealership.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #8

First off the (Water Thief) as you found out will (Leak,Spray,or Blow Off) if trying to use (Dead Headed/Restricted)! It was a Good thing that the PSI was low on your attempt to use. Backflow valve,kinked hose,or clogged spray nozzle is one of the (3) areas I would check. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

Black tank flush, etc.

Located the water pump, heater connections, various valves, fittings, etc., in the area behind all the water connections panel in the storage basement. Very accessible if needed. Things are looking up !
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #10

when I tried to use mine the first time it would fill the fresh water tank, took to dealer and they plumbed it the correct way, my backflow preventer is in the master bathroom in the wall under a removal panel

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #11

I did try it again on my last trip with a good,hose connection at the dump station ... And water did flow out the black tank .... But flow seemed about half of what my quickie flush used to produce. Never did find a backflow anywhere, checked the sink and nothing there. I'm guessing it's all hidden?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
I did try it again on my last trip with a good,hose connection at the dump station ... And water did flow out the black tank .... But flow seemed about half of what my quickie flush used to produce. Never did find a backflow anywhere, checked the sink and nothing there. I'm guessing it's all hidden?

My black tank rinse leaked out through the underbelly the first 2 times I tried to use it. Dealer said that it was caused by a loose fitting on the anti-siphon valve located in the cavity behind the shower control valves. Not sure about your coach...but it might be there in yours too?

Best wishes...
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #13

This whole anti siphon valve seems like a totally unnecessary thing ... For something you hook up temporarily for 5min to back flush from a dump station. Seriously?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

Is it advisable to temporarily open up the underbelly by removing the screws ... Or bad idea?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #15

Not really, if your CG lost water pressure just " for a few minutes " you and your neighbors could be infected with black water, before you could realize it! A vacuum is a powerful thing.-----

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #16

Point well taken. But my typical use is at a dump station not at a full service site, thus making me want to do a "quick" black flush. Ok, well it's either not a very good flusher or something's not working quite right and there is no documentation on how to service this thing or where it's even located. It works but is way worse than my $15 quickie flush I installed myself on the last trailer. This leads me back to conventional back flushing or install my own quickie flush.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #17

Wildcat Chris --- can you elaborate on how the black tank flush is supposed to work? Is it just a way to fill up the tank , so it can be filled up ... Or is it supposed to be more like a quickie flush or tornado flusher? Also, I am not seeing a high flow of water coming out when using it with good pressure .... So I wonder how to troubleshoot it. It's been a real disappointment so far but I'm trying to understand what it should be doing . I had a quickie flush on my last camper and it worked like a dream. This flush doesn't do much at all by comparison.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #18

Mine works great after changing out the valve beneath the bedroom sink when I first bought the trailer. It works great, you can hear the water pounding on the sides of the tank when hooked up....
Good luck hope you get it working properly, its a very nice feature...

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Wildcat Chris --- can you elaborate on how the black tank flush is supposed to work? Is it just a way to fill up the tank , so it can be filled up ... Or is it supposed to be more like a quickie flush or tornado flusher? Also, I am not seeing a high flow of water coming out when using it with good pressure .... So I wonder how to troubleshoot it. It's been a real disappointment so far but I'm trying to understand what it should be doing . I had a quickie flush on my last camper and it worked like a dream. This flush doesn't do much at all by comparison.
The black tank flush feature uses a built in sprayer to actively assist in flushing out the tank. See the photo from the Forest River website for a visual:

If you're having issues with this feature, please see your local Wildcat dealer to troubleshoot this further. I'll ask some more questions on my end and see if there's any tips or tricks I can pass on!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #20

Thanks Chris .. This is very helpful !!

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank