Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #21

Certainly, no one is perfect, but for people who's 21st century lives, lifestyles, and livelihoods, are all based on the work of engineers, there's an awful lot of engineer-bashing going on here. Who do you think designed your RV chasis, axles, brakes, etc., not to mention your tow vehicle?

Yet, gee, you seem to trust those everyday. An life's a lot safer today than it was a century ago.

Some of you folks need to lighten up and smell the coffee.

My last post on this subject.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Yet, gee, you seem to trust those everyday. An life's a lot safer today than it was a century ago...
Agree with everything you said, but might have to disagree with life's a lot safer today than it was a century ago. Very few structures built in the last 25 yrs will be standing for another 75 yrs, and some that were built centuries ago will be. I think life itself is more dangerous now than even 40-50 yrs ago with the crime rate. When we were kids, never thought of locking our houses and the keys were left in the cars parked on the streets. Now you don't even leave keys in cars parked in your locked garages. Said my pc, I'm outta' here.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #23

you know what they said about people who left their keys in their unlocked cars parked in the streets. ...
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #24

OK, so we beat up on engineers but if we did not have any, who would drive the trains? Arvika sells a bike mount that attaches to the front of your trailer. They have a 2 or 3 bike set up. Try racksforcars.com They are made and sold from Canada. They work great and are easy to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0095 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	34533  

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
you know what they said about people who left their keys in their unlocked cars parked in the streets. ...
No, haven't heard what they said.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
The main difference is not just weight, it is the twisting force, or torque. the bikes ride much farther out away from the bumper than the tire, thus greatly increasing the torque. Try this, push down hard on your bike rack just above where it us mounted. Then push down just as hard at the farthest end of the rack. I'd bet you can see your bumper twist. Now imagine this twisting happening a hundred times a minute as you cruise down the road --- get the picture? And yes, this does happen, always.
x2!!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #27

Tried that once and put a hole in the rear gel coat with the handle bars and lost both of my bumper end covers. Until I can get a new bumper and support fabbed from thicker steel, no bikes on the rear. May consider a roof rack since I have the super crew though.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #28

I went against all the advice here and put a small rack attached to the spare tire. You see them on Jeeps alot. My wife cycles several days a week and for long distance. Her bike is very light with carbon frame and very nice light components. The bumper held up fine with the extra weight. THat was not an issue. 2 weeks ago Sunday as we were returning home there was a area of the interstate where they planed down the road. Well when we went over a bridge we were rocking and rolling. Next thing we are being waved over by another car. I walked around the back to find that the bike launched off the rack at the bridge and then I dragged it for a mile or so with a small buggy cord. She was not very happy. All in all the bike held up well and only had about $450 in damage. So its not just the bumper to worry about. I will be mounting a rack on the front 5th wheel hitch going forward.
Wally
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #29

we had a local hitch shop weld one on a few years back to our trailer and had no issues... again I am sure many here are "passionate" but go to a reputable hitch and rack shop and talk to a professional installer before buying into urban legends tossed around on a website.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
Jeffco, MO

Rear Bike Rack

Here's my post from Ask the Wildcat factory #430. There are other posts on that thread discussing this issue. My post shows the tire location and bike rack. We've used in for over 5000 miles traveling from Missouri to Florida and Virginia. No visible problems. If one wants to be extra safe, have a good welder add additional braces and doublers.

"Our 2013 Wildcat 302RL had the spare tire mounted on a metal post that was clamped to the rear bumper. I had my dealer move the spare tire to the area behind the front landing gear with the ability to lower it with a cable, very similar to my truck spare. (I've noticed other 5th wheels have the spare tire located there).
I purchased a two bike rack that clamps on the rear bumper. With my two light weight bikes, I am sure that it weights less that that big spare tire and mounting post. Also the Swagman bike rack is clamped in more places than the one place of the spare tire, which should spread any type of load.
I did take a graduate course in strength of materials and feel that my bikes put less load on the bumper and frame than the spare tire."

IMHO

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote