Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #31

sounds about right ted!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #32

I said I was done posting on this thread, but I was requested by PM to post some pics of my hitch. Pic #1 is the receiver welded to the bottom of the 4" bumper. Pic #2 shows the receiver passing under the bumper and under the body of the trailer. Pic #3 shows the front of the receiver welded to the frame under the trailer, and the two 2" tubes welded to each side of the receiver and the 4" bumper, with a plate across the bottom. Pic #4 shows one of the 2" steel tubes welded to the frame similar to the 4" bumper is welded to the frame.

So, this is not just a receiver somehow clamped to the bumper. I highly doubt any "engineer" was involved, just a certified welder. This hitch did not come cheap. I believe I paid several hundred $$ and had to wait an extra 2 weeks to pick it so the certified welder had time to install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	34705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	34706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	34707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	34708  

Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #33

nice setup! glad you didnt fall prey to the misinformation and urban legends being tossed around so loosely regarding this!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #34

Very nice set up, a fellow I talked to who had a similar set said his only problem was the cheap bike rack he used as it showed stress cracks.

I have a neighbor who has a full weight distributing set up on his 5er and tows a full size ski boat, one day I'll get a photo and post it.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #35

Don't want to highjack this Sorry , but with that being said does that apply to adding a small rack to hold a EU3000 Honda generator ? Just trying to get as many opinions as I can get

Thanks and sorry for high jacking
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #36

Just another data point regarding carrying bikes on the back of a 5th wheel. We have a '05 Rockwood and the PO had a really nice receiver added to the rear. I had a receiver-mount 4-bike Thule rack on hand so plugged it in, loaded all four bikes and hit the road.

I could not keep that rack secure. I added threaded bolts to the receiver to take up play. I triangulated the rack with winch-cable to eyebolts mounted to the trailer frame.

Our issue was twofold I think: weight, and distance from the trailer. The receiver hitch protrudes past the spare tire, so the last bike ends up being a good 4' off the back of the trailer (it not more).

We never dropped the bikes, but after walking back and finding the rack laying back at angle, all loose, with support cables broken, we spent the coin in a roof-mounted Yakima system and put all the bikes on the truck.

I think two bikes, loaded as close as possible to the rear of the trailer is fine, but more than that and leverage is killer.

I think same goes for a small rack for a generator - stay as close as possible to the rear of the trailer, have it fabbed up by someone skilled and tied to the trailer in multiple places and you should be fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #37
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafatoy View Post
Don't want to highjack this Sorry , but with that being said does that apply to adding a small rack to hold a EU3000 Honda generator ? Just trying to get as many opinions as I can get

Thanks and sorry for high jacking
you'll have to have a receiver welded and braced to the frame, to support the bouncing weight of the Honda.

since you don't have your RV listed in your signature, we don't know what kind of RV you're talking about. doing this to a trailer with a ultra-light frame would be iffy, even welded and braced.

but, generally, any mod to the frame, will void its warranty. if yours has expired, then you can go ahead with the mod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #38

2012/13 Surveyor Sport295,

Btw how do I list my TT on my signature???
Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafatoy View Post
2012/13 Surveyor Sport295,

Btw how do I list my TT on my signature???
that's an ultralite trailer and if you do any welding to the frame, it'll void the warranty. and a bumper mount will snap the bumper's cheap/flimsy welds.

as for your signature, go up to the User CP and click on it. it takes you to your Control Panel.
go to the Signature clicky in the left column.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote