Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Ceiling Fan

I have a 2005 Wildcat with a ceiling Fan. I cant seem to get it to work. The switch was burnedout. I got a new switch, but it doesnt work, OR it may be something in the fan. Does anyone have the fan specs so I can see if the actual reason the switch went bad may be in the fan. I havent taken it to the dealer as he is 2 hours away, so I try to fix what I can myself.
Any help would be appreciated
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #2

I'm not much of a camper specs buff, but try testing with a wire tester the hot wires leading to the switch. If those appear to have power try unhooking the ceiling fan and testing the wire up there for power. Fuses? I just have a $2 hot wire tester from Walmart that seems to work ok.
Thats all I got, maybe a help, maybe not.

Brock525
Wildwood 26TBSS
2005 Ford Screw
Brock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Hey Dave...welcome to the forum!

Which Switch??

There are at least 3 switches involved here:

The one on the wall that turns the whole thing on and off
The one on the fan that controls the motor speed/on/off
The one that controls the direction of rotation

Maybe you will get lucky and have overlooked one of these. It occured to me that if the directional switch were sort of stuck in the middle the motor likely will not run.

If the light kit won't come on either, then check breakers first, then trace the wiring back to the breaker and see if something came loose. If the wall switch is bad, you could just "wire around it" and use the fan mounted switches until you replace the wall switch.

Any decent hardware store should have a replacement switch that goes in the fan.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #4

The switch has all 3 components in it. Which I think is what is driving me nuts. I have located the "hot" wire and the one that completes the circuit ( I blow the fuse- 15 amp- everytime) the other 2 wires come off the top and go to the fan, but when connected doesnt work. So, I think it has to be in the fan wiring in the ceiling. This may have been the reason that the switch went bad( it melted in the wall). But I cant seem to figure it out as 12 volt seems to confuse people knowledgable about regular electric.

By the way I like the smiles
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #5

i have an idea
i have a fan in the "fishing shack" that is remotely operated and I accidently overloaded it it when i used a pair of needle nose plier to remove a broken bulb and umm left the power on....
i had to replace the remote unit under the main cover to fix the AFU i created

home dept was very helpful
it seems the unit used to talk to the handheld unit( located at the place where all the wires come together) is easily shorted out when dummies like me short out a bulb socket
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #6

I have one like it and it uses 110 volts not 12volts.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Commercial Member

The Wildcat fan is 12volt.....this issue has occured before.

There is no light kit on these fans either.

Check out http://wildcatcamperforum.com/

There is someone on there that knows all about it.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #8

I just took my first trip out in my new 2010 Wildcat 31TS. Although it was 105-107 the past few days. I am less then satisfied with the ceiling fan. Does it really move air or is it a moving decoration that cost $112.53???
TXWildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #9

The ceiling fan switch in my trailer gets so hot, it screws up the thermostat mounted above it. It must be very poorly designed or made as it gets so hot, you cant touch it, and the plastic housing is starting to melt. Obviously, I stopped using the fan. I am assuming it's a 12V supply, but I haven't checked. I looked at the hardware store, but only found ON/OFF switches with speed control, and no direction control, and I am not sure how the speed control would react to the 12V DC.

PS: It's a 2010 Wildwood LA QBUD
Zealander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #10

I have an 06 wildcat and have replaced the switch twice. Three times the switch has melted, I called forest river in oregon where my 5er was made and asked if there is a different switch i can use and they said no that was the only one that will work in my 5er, so i told them that one does'nt work either they keep melting thats why i'm calling. Have talked to other wildcat owners and they said there switch works ok when on low but melted on high speed, so i keep on looking for another switch
rdsknfn_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
Villa Estate 392FLFB

get out that folder of papers that comes with the camper. there should be a whole section in there on the fan. mine shows how to mount, run wires and switch for it in there.

Tags
fan, wildcat