Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Chassis chaos !!

Ok.... I'm kind of freaking out here.

There is a lot of reading of the Lippert Chassis failing .

The pin box on the 5th wheels seem to be the most common areas and after it is found to be failing in that area it is sure to be more extensive in surrounding areas.
Blame seams to center around light gage material with too high of carbon content, poor welds and design...etc.

Question: Are the Lippert Frames more common to the eastern factory ?

Why ..I ask is that my pin box chassis tag reads: Zieman Chassis and I know my 5th wheel was built in Oregon , West Coast factory.
Zieman Manufacturing has two plants: California and Oregon.

Or.... are they one in the same ?

Has anyone had any problems with the Zieman (labeled) Chassis ?

Thanks for any information on this concern.
-Islander-
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #2

I don't have an answer for you, only another train of thought to consider. There are plenty of horror stories that involve Lippert frames that have failed in one way or the other.
However, on the other hand Lippert is and has been the largest mass produced RV manufacture for years. I feel sure that the number of failed frames vs the number of frames produced in a small percentage number. However, I do understand that this is little comfort to those who have experienced a problem.
Also stop to consider that not all frames that come off of the assembly line will be equal when it comes to material used or the welds applied.
IN the mean time I would simply enjoy your RV, if a problem does come up address it at that time. There really is no way to predict metal fatigue before it occurs. You can inspect the frame from time to time if it makes you feel better to try to say one step ahead of a major problem. But getting to this area of the frame is not the easiest job to do.

How was that for a long winded reply that really offered no answer to your direct question.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Thank you "jonrjen"....
You and I have the same logic when it comes to numbers re: the amount of frames produced compared to the amount of problems reported.
I appreciate your reply.
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote