Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Cheap Heat

I know this subject has been posted on other forums. I'm looking for someone who has first hand experience w/ Cheap Heat in a Wildcat. The main reason I'm considering having the Cheap Heat installed is for safety. I use my trailer year round, however there are times I'm not there for days at a time. I am unable to solely rely on propane all the time because of job locations, however we do have constant electricity. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you
mike6065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Looks interesting: CheapHeat
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

link to the product your asking about ?

never mind thanks lou !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Don't know what is cheap about replacing your furnace, nor heating with electricity as opposed to propane.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Don't know what is cheap about replacing your furnace, nor heating with electricity as opposed to propane.
your not replacing the furnace .
you can still use propane option
when you use park power there paying
Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

where does it go if it doesn't replace your furnace?

i guess if you are on the daily rate. a lot of full-timers are on a monthly rate and paying their own power. at 17.5 cents a kilowatt where i am, it ain't cheaper than propane.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
When my trailer is at a job site electricity is provided, however having the ability refill the propane is not always a option.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
where does it go if it doesn't replace your furnace?

i guess if you are on the daily rate. a lot of full-timers are on a monthly rate and paying their own power. at 17.5 cents a kilowatt where i am, it ain't cheaper than propane.

In your existing furnace plenum.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #9

One good thing about such as system, is that if you have ducted heat in your belly area, then you are still putting heat in there.

looking thru the material, they are claiming gas furnace is 60% efficient, but their heat element is near 100%. Hmmm.....

i guess key to this working is also having the room in your furnace compartment to install it.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6065 View Post
I know this subject has been posted on other forums. I'm looking for someone who has first hand experience w/ Cheap Heat in a Wildcat. The main reason I'm considering having the Cheap Heat installed is for safety. I use my trailer year round, however there are times I'm not there for days at a time. I am unable to solely rely on propane all the time because of job locations, however we do have constant electricity. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you
I would be very cautious about installing this system in my RV if it was parked/stored in a climate where it was necessary to keep it heated and this was my only source of heat.

As most of us know, electrical power is not always available in colder climates of the country for various reasons - ice storms breaking the lines, accidents causing the power poles to break, over demand during peak times resulting in brownouts, etc. Just watch the news during the winter season when the folks in the cold climates are without power for long periods of time. Here you have a RV that is probably sitting out probably fully exposed to cold winds, snow, temperatures and I don't think that most RV's are insulated well enought to withstand these types of conditions.

What would you do if your RV that has this unit installed do if/when electrical power may not be available at times?

I didn't listen or read all the material, but what does that unit do to your warranty if you install it?

I wonder how long it would take for owners of RV parks in the colder climates to start getting concerned if they knew some of their campers who have these installed knew that they were using the parks electricity to heat their RV's during cold weather?

I would also check with your insurance company about coverage if you install this unit.

I am fortunate that I do not have to consider heating my RV in cold weather, but I would certainly take a long hard look at this system.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6065 View Post

Thank you
I have cheap heat already in my Georgeotown.
It is called a electric fireplace locate below TV

Love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	db4474905b_640.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	19465  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Sure take a long time to pay for itself in propane savings, but if it is a necessary alternative, I guess it would be ok.

We use an Eden Pure and run the furnace blower without the burner going to circulate the air in the ducts.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #13

I appreciate all the responses / thoughts on this subject. I'm trying to find information from a fellow Wildcat owner who has this system installed or knows someone. This is not a cheap upgrade, nor do I want to damage my second home. The reason I'm considering this is for both safety reasons (running a space heater for long periods of time w/out anyone in the trailer) and not always having the ability to fill the propane tanks because of distance.

Again, thank you everyone for you help
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

As far as the camp ground is concerned, why would they care if you used electric heat? How is this different from all the AC units running in the summer?
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper
As far as the camp ground is concerned, why would they care if you used electric heat? How is this different from all the AC units running in the summer?
I'm actually the one concerned, LOL. I use this trailer not only w/ my family, but I take it to job sites too. Sometimes the trailer is unoccupied for several days, but it has to have heat and propane is not always a option. We get free electricity, however I'm concerned of the fire potential of space heaters. I'm not sure if this makes a difference but the cheap heat would lessen the load on some of the breakers because the wired in a series and I believe it is on a stand alone breaker.
I'm looking for options. Anyone with thoughts or suggestions please reply. The cheap heat, which it is not, seemed like it would work out.

Thanks
Mike